Sway bar link brand-to-buy?

My Ranger's left sway bar link broke and I'll be replacing both.
I have two questions.
1) Since the OE link had a gracefully curved plastic coating and neoprene bushings, should I buy Ford Motorcraft (or links similarly plastic coated) or just get bare metal ones?
2) I searched here and came away dismayed because BITOGers' opinions conflict. Yes, Moog, Mevotech and Motorcraft are praised and maligned.

I've done this before and it's no big deal.
Should I just pick one knowing that I may be doing this again or is there a brand to buy?

Reactions: JC1
When I upgraded my swaybars, I changed out the end-links with Moog in the rear, and BMR up front. SuperPro links are very similar, albeit prettier in my view. My options were limited, but if I had to do it over again, I would try to get the OEM. The new WhiteLine sway bars are markedly more robust, so the OEM links may well tame things down a tad. BTW, the Moog bushings are vinyl vs. rubber. Overall, I am quite satisfied with my current set up. The cost of parts and labor for this particular task isn’t bad. In fact, this is one of those things’ where it’s hard to go wrong. ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Thanks for the responses.
I bought AC Delco #45G0022 via Rockauto.
A hex bottom nut and neoprene bushings appeared close to original hardware design.
I've been satisfied with Delco's quality in the past.
I also liked that the pair came as one part number.

I was open to Dorman (also a pair) for Also, the Dorman pair's shipping was $3 more; possibly a fee charged for their warehouse handling (?)

Whiteline had only expensive shock absorber top bushings (for studs) and no other part for Rangers.
The Motorcraft offering (in RA) showed the curved plastic barrel of the link but no hardware?

Thanks for the responses.
I bought AC Delco #45G0022 via Rockauto.
A hex bottom nut and neoprene bushings appeared close to original hardware design.
I've been satisfied with Delco's quality in the past.
I also liked that the pair came as one part number.

I was open to Dorman (also a pair) for Also, the Dorman pair's shipping was $3 more; possibly a fee charged for their warehouse handling (?)

Whiteline had only expensive shock absorber top bushings (for studs) and no other part for Rangers.
The Motorcraft offering (in RA) showed the curved plastic barrel of the link but no hardware?

Last time I bought AC Delco sway bar links they nut kept coming loose, causing a noise. Finally, I just used some blue locktite and that seemed to work.

I dunno, the $3 link scared me.
Regarding the Delco links in a Ford, I've used Scripto ink in my Parker pen before and everybody lived.
As long as the bushings squash down and the bolts don't break, I'll be OK.

Dorman sway bar links barely lasted 2 years on our 1999 Buick Century before they gave up the ghost. Replaced them with Moog Problem Solver links and except for being dirty, they are still in great shape after 9 years.

What year Ranger here are we talking?

We've owned at least a couple dozen Rangers here at the shop (probably 1992-2008 model years) and at some point nearly ALL of the swaybar endlinks eventually broke. That alone might steer me to Moog, even if only for the sake of comparison.

My Ranger's left sway bar link broke and I'll be replacing both.
I have two questions.
1) Since the OE link had a gracefully curved plastic coating and neoprene bushings, should I buy Ford Motorcraft (or links similarly plastic coated) or just get bare metal ones?
2) I searched here and came away dismayed because BITOGers' opinions conflict. Yes, Moog, Mevotech and Motorcraft are praised and maligned.

I've done this before and it's no big deal.
Should I just pick one knowing that I may be doing this again or is there a brand to buy?
It's just a long bolt, some bushings, a sleeve and a nut. Buy what your local store has in stock. This is not a big deal. Sometimes they break and having a specific brand isn't going to change that.

Mine is a 2005. Being an FX4 it might have a larger sway bar.
These links are as subject to batch quality variations as any.
The remaining one might last 20 more years but I want them to match, so I'm doing both.
DHL/US Mail from Port Washington warehouse.

My brother has a Tahoe and I have a Suburban. We were both breaking our driver side sway bar link repeatedly. The factory one was a 3/8 bolt with a sleeve and bushings. We bought Poly bushings, drilled them out so a 7/16 bolt would fit and bought Grade 8 7/16 bolts. Never broke another one.

Big 10-4 on that fix. G.M. buys wear hardware.
'Modern times' mean finding big hardware is more difficult.

Wallace Supply in Ft. Edward has a lot. They used to have everything.

Back