Sway bar links - steel vs aluminum vs plastic

I know a few cars use plastic links, but I just put that in there for the clickbait.

I need to replace the front sway bar links on my "$3000 Prius" that I posted about previously. Looks like the Genuine Toyota parts are aluminum and I might be able to get a pair "overnighted from Japan" for a bit under $100 shipped.

Or I can get something basic in steel like Delphi from Rockauto for about $15 per, plus shipping of course.

I haven't run across aluminum sway bar links before. I'm assuming they were a weight saving fuel efficiency measure. But then, this car uses steel control arms, so what sense does that make?

• Haha
Reactions: D60
vw uses plastic sway bar links if i remember correctly. I'd buy the cheapest ones that are made by a reputable brand (not ultra power)

• Haha
Reactions: D60
vw uses plastic sway bar links if i remember correctly. I'd buy the cheapest ones that are made by a reputable brand (not ultra power)
I replaced broken plastic links on a '93ish Ford Taurus. They were about 20 years old at that point, but I don't know how long they'd been broken.

Well plastic tells me they don't have to be strong. I mean they are pull / push only as far as working them. I won't use plastic. Then what ever had the best ends and was the cheapest.

Back