Surprising result from HPL use

I went from using QS Euro 5-40 to HPL Euro 5-40. After 3k miles, I’ve noticed an increase in gas mileage. It has increased a little over 1 mpg. The way I drive this ML is consistent. I keep my eye on the fuel mileage readout(can’t tell you why I just do). Not scientific but I’ve noticed an increase. Could it be the high moly??

Summer blend gasoline (starts around early April) is slightly more efficient than winter blend. Warmer air is also less dense which means less drag on the vehicle, particularly at high speed on the highway. While I'm a big fan of HPL, it's not physically possible for an oil change to show a +1 net mpg change. There's not even that much friction to reduce in an engine at "commuter rpm." (over a basic oil formula) In order for that to happen, the oil would have to itself be making power which is most likely not the case. In high rpm racing applications, different story, but not at <3000 rpm on the highway or around town.

I've got 2 vehicles on HPL for multiple oil changes now and no changes in mpg.

Another thing people often forget is as it gets warmer tire pressure rises, so tires that were inflated to 35psi in the dead of winter can rise about 1 psi for every 10*F. Depending on how warm it is that in and of itself can increase mpg too. Combine that with summer gas and you can easily see a decent gain in mpg in warm weather.

Another thing people often forget is as it gets warmer tire pressure rises, so tires that were inflated to 35psi in the dead of winter can rise about 1 psi for every 10*F. Depending on how warm it is that in and of itself can increase mpg too. Combine that with summer gas and you can easily see a decent gain in mpg in warm weather.
Not to mention, shorter warm up times. So, oil gets to operating temp quicker, reducing the time it takes for oil to get less viscous, reducing friction, increasing mpg. That's my hypothesis at least

Summer blend gasoline (starts around early April) is slightly more efficient than winter blend. Warmer air is also less dense which means less drag on the vehicle, particularly at high speed on the highway. While I'm a big fan of HPL, it's not physically possible for an oil change to show a +1 net mpg change. There's not even that much friction to reduce in an engine at "commuter rpm." (over a basic oil formula) In order for that to happen, the oil would have to itself be making power which is most likely not the case. In high rpm racing applications, different story, but not at <3000 rpm on the highway or around town.
Why would removing the Butane in summer gas make it more "efficient"?

Lower HoC

Summer blend gasoline = 1,290-1,295 BTU/lb of air

Butane = 1,280 BTU/lb of air
I'd say that's a pretty minor difference, since gasoline doesn't have "that" much butane in it to begin with. I seriously doubt that it would make a significant difference in fuel economy.

I'd say that's a pretty minor difference, since gasoline doesn't have "that" much butane in it to begin with. I seriously doubt that it would make a significant difference in fuel economy.

It doesn't make a significant difference. It makes a slight difference. Warmer (less dense) air makes another slight difference. Higher (relative) tire pressure from warmer air also makes a slight difference. Combine that with maybe a +1% change (at best) from the lower CoF oil and you arrive at about the +1 mpg difference.

I may not say this exactly, one hundred percent correct, but here goes…
The warmer the air, the less dense the concentration of oxygen.
So, the PCM puts less fuel in the combustion chamber in order to maintain the optimal 14.7:1 ratio.

Back