Supertech Syn in new tgdi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BTLew81
0w20 makes me nervous. Not in general but in this application. A higher hp tgdi engine. Known to have some fuel dilution issues. Agree that pp 0w20 is good. So is M1 afe or ep. my thought is to step up to 0/5w30 to mitigate some of the dilution risk. Also changing at 5k, even though I think the maintenance minder will take me out to 7-7.5k.

Not everyone will agree woth moving away for a manufacturer suggested oil, but it's the way I'm leaning...today. Lol

Honda beat the snot out of the engine using 0W20. If something else was needed they would have recommended another grade.

Originally Posted by dave1251
0w20 makes me nervous. Not in general but in this application. A higher hp tgdi engine. Known to have some fuel dilution issues. Agree that pp 0w20 is good. So is M1 afe or ep. my thought is to step up to 0/5w30 to mitigate some of the dilution risk. Also changing at 5k, even though I think the maintenance minder will take me out to 7-7.5k.

Not everyone will agree woth moving away for a manufacturer suggested oil, but it's the way I'm leaning...today. Lol

Honda beat the snot out of the engine using 0W20. If something else was needed they would have recommended another grade.

they did?
how are you defining "needed." Is that the same threshold as Honda?

Last edited:
Honda beat the snot out of the engine using 0W20. If something else was needed they would have recommended another grade.[/quote]

Tooth Fairy tell you that? 0/20 is fuel economy oil, not the right choice for longevity.

Originally Posted by dblshock

Tooth Fairy tell you that? 0/20 is fuel economy oil, not the right choice for longevity.[/quote]

That's your opinion and no evidence to support it.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Tooth Fairy tell you that? 0/20 is fuel economy oil, not the right choice for longevity.

That's your opinion and no evidence to support it. [/quote]

LOL totally correct PimTac!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pitzel
I've heard, anecdotally, that there have been some manufacturer programs to do spot audits of dealers to crack down on those who cheat (ie: cheating would be substituting bulk 5W-30 dino for the expensive synthetics). Outside the warranty period, of course, it could be cynically argued that dealers have no incentive to do anything that might minimize the amount of intake work they get. I'm not really sure that dealers are really true representatives or agents of the manufacturers when it comes to anything maintenance-related, except if it is in their direct economic interest.

I hope so. I do remember the days with even the dealers' confusion about 0w-30 A3/B4 versus 0w-30 ILSAC, much less conventionals in the Audis. What I'm getting at, though, is that it's pretty hard to hold vehicle owners responsible for too frequent oil changes when the dealers (true representatives of OEMs or not) are pushing too frequent OCIs, to say nothing of improper oils and additives they can upsell. Renault Group was supposed to rationalize lubricants across all lines for factory fill and service fill, but that seems to be taking an exceedingly long period of time.

Tooth Fairy tell you that? 0/20 is fuel economy oil, not the right choice for longevity.[/quote]

And you are who?

Originally Posted by Brian553
Originally Posted by dave1251

they did?
how are you defining "needed." Is that the same threshold as Honda?

http://www.mymillerhonda.com/blog/where-does-honda-test-their-vehicles/

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by parshisa
Well, I get it. But it completely defeats the purpose of this forum then. If everyone would follow what manual says due to "potential warranty issues" what's the point of being on here and even more what's the value of such comments? Makes 0 sense to me

It only took me a decade to realize that most comments in this section are for entertainment value only.

You get a gold star for comment of the day!!

I think somebody on this forum got banned for making that very comment........

Burning oil by 60k...timing chain skipping @100k all associated to spec xW-20 lubricant when previous generation engines suffered neither
ignoring the spec for an upgrade is certainly prudent to protect your equipment.

Dblshock. That's a bit dramatic. Seriously. You're also using a high calcium oil that can cause issues of its own. You push your 0w40 agenda each time you post. We get it. You like it. Everything has its tradeoff.

it's all about priorities, a bucket of carbon or 100k of service.

I have more than 100K of service using 5W20 and 5W30 off the shelf cheapest API PCMO. What does this do for your 0W40 insistence?

The auto industry is certainly fragmented on the subject right now...seems safest to upgrade til they sort it out.

Dblshock. That's a bit dramatic. Seriously. You're also using a high calcium oil that can cause issues of its own. You push your 0w40 agenda each time you post. We get it. You like it. Everything has its tradeoff.

not pushing any particular upgrade...I did the M1 HTO-06 which can only be 5/30 by spec... I've also had a run with D1 5/40 and Edge 0/40 since but it's not high Ca anymore check your facts...btw my engine is running perfect up here in the frozen abyss.

I think award for the "post of the year" goes to this gentleman. Or, forgot to mention that it is "nonsense post of the year". Congrats

I think award for the "post of the year" goes to this gentleman. Or, forgot to mention that it is "nonsense post of the year". Congrats

Please elaborate on your disagreement.

Well I for one would like to know where you came up with this. It's not something that has ever been discussed even once on the Corvette Forum. The C7 has direct injection and has been out since the 2014 model year, and nobody changes their oil more frequently than Corvette owners do but not a single one has reported any problems with their intake as a result of this.

We should clarify to whom the post is referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back