Supertech 5W-30 Synthetic for my 2017 Elanta 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
OOOOH! Yay! Statistics and research methods, yeah!!!

Bingo. Note that no oil manufacturer claims 50% less wear for synthetics over conventionals. Isn't this some gem that Consumer Reports spouted? If the oil manufacturers could advertise 50% less wear with their premium products, that would be all over the labels in a font nearly as large as the brand name.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/...17-US.legal.pdf

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2017/06/aaa-spills-truth-oil-changes/

In fact it was the AAA report that came out just a few weeks back I might be able to find it.

Now the AAA would have lots to lie to on this because A they don't sell oil B maybe the AAA CEO has twenty or thirty million in oil stock?

Last edited:
I know one claiming the Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-20 full synthetic is his best regards to smooth and quiet after trying I think 5 or 6 other oils in his Hyundai. He says the price was good too.
The Magnatec I thought of trying in my Hyundai but been so stuck on PYB 5w-30 although the cap has 5w-20 and the book recommends QS. Maybe some day I'll try a switch.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
In fact it was the AAA report that came out just a few weeks back I might be able to find it.

Yes, AAA, that was it. Whether or not they have the incentive to lie or not isn't the issue. They made a bold claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and that evidence is lacking. AAA has about as much ability to determine engine wear based upon base stock as I do styling hair, which is zilch. The wording in their article is nebulous marketing fluff. They want to talk percentages, show the source data. Unfortunately, they aren't even held to the same standards as marketers, because they're not directly marketing a product.

Does AAA run garages? CAA does up here, and I'm sure, like any other garage, they like to sell synthetic oil changes over conventional ones.

To all the internet scientists (lol)- Exactly how does one oil compared to another(s) make an engine run smoother?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What motor oil specs are recommented in theowners manual?

His Elantra only requires API-SM and ILSAC GF-4. SuperTech is an SN GF-5 oil, so yes, it satisfies the recommendation in the Owner's Manual.

^^^^ BEST ANSWER ^^^^

Super Tech exceeds the specifications required by your engine, Your selection of a 5w30 is a excellent choice as the manual states 5w20 is for fuel economy only which means 5w30 is perfectly acceptable and most likely better for your engine.
Your engine will last just as long on Super Tech as it will any other oil at any other price.

Last edited:

wemay, great find!

Wow, "unsurpassed wear protection" is a cute way to say it meets the minimum industry standards.

Havoline has a similar statement on their oils. They use "unbeatable" but at least give the test.:

Quote:
Specially formulated to provide unbeatable, nonstop protection*

*As demonstrated in the Sequence IVA wear test on a 5W-30 viscosity.

All marketing ways to say "meets spec.... or if you are jaded like me, meets the minimum".

Why folks might ask? Simple, unless you set the threshold, then there is no way to determine the "best". Because in this case, the "industry standard" is not looking for a minimum value, it is a threshold.

Take a high-jumper. If you put the bar up to 8 feet high, and if several jumpers clear it, all are "unsurpassed". Even if one barely clears it and another goes 8 feet higher than the bar... well, you actually can call the 16 foot jumper the winner unless you have a bar that no one else can clear. In addition, if you do go beyond, you also have to know the error within the given test and you could have entities clustering within the "error" range. (Going to simplify here with limits of testing equipment) So if all jumpers clear 8 feet but not 8'1" and you do not have 1/4 inch intervals, then any jumper that could do 8.25, 8.5, or 8.75 are technically equal.

And again, unless you define the "standard", it is kinda like shooting in the dark.

Any DEXOS 1 - Gen 1 / Gen 2 rated oil in 5W20 for Winter / Spring and 5W30 for Summer / Fall at approx. *6,000 mile OCI's will work .

*Highway miles only = 7,500 mile OCI
*Driving into NYC everyday = 4,000 mile OCI

You could also just use 5w20 or 5W30 year round as well - your choice ...

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Wife's 2014 Elantra GT is GDI. My Elantra limited is MFI. Some models have it, some don't. No Idea why. The Supertech Syn will do fine for you. It's not a bad oil. While Pennzoil might be giving rebates, they don't do it all the time. If you want the Syn performance, at a general lower price, Supertech will fill the bill.

Trust me if you have a stash and keep an eye on thing there is always a cheaper oil than Supertech. I've never seen it on sale and I've never seen a rebate. Just last summer I picked up 5 Jugs of Havoline Pro DS Synthetic Motor Oil with a final cost of $10.70 a Jug. The new math tells me that beats Supertech pricing of $17.47 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... Yeah, Warren Dist/WPP is better (product wise) than the Warren Oil (aslo known as Warren/Coastal).
Source for that revelation?

Just from some UOA observations I have seen over the years based on WPP vs WC private label brands. WC tends to have a slightly lower TBN/weaker add pack when compared across brands (but puts up decent NOACK numbers). A lot of WPP uses a sodium add pack (Mag1 does, Supertech does not) so you can debate the sodium packs separately. I generally put my emphasis on add packs over base oils and I rather have a more robust addpack with sodium than a weaker addpack without... but I am not fond of sodium.

WC synblend example (tend to be lower TBN and better NOACK): http://pqiadata.org/Warren_10W30.html
WPP Conventional example (Higher TBN vs weaker NOACK): http://www.pqiadata.org/SuperTech5W30.html
* But this is a 5w30 Conv vs 10w30 Synblend so take context into consideration.

It is not that WC is "bad" (actually very good) but often for the price vs some of reports back from PQIA/others it appears to me that WPP tends to edge out Warren Coastal depending on the private label. Now, this could be spec-ed by the retailer of the private label but WPP private labels tend to do better than WC Private labels. When you factor in price, then I tend to nod toward WPP. Go back and start tracking down Warren Coastal products like Saxon (or Saxon Gold), AAP for a bit, Autozone in my area, and a few others. The biggest trick is to tease out the private label brands at the time of the test. Kinda tough, but often UOA and VOA tend to show that WC has that low TBN and better NOACK trait. WPP tend to have higher NOACK in some cases with VOA but then to have robust TBN numbers reported with UOAs.

At the end of the day, both WPP and WC occupy a pricepoint with other competitive oils and I will tend to go with Havoline or NAPA (Ashland) over the Warrens.

Last edited:
Wife's 2014 Elantra GT is GDI. My Elantra limited is MFI. Some models have it, some don't. No Idea why. The Supertech Syn will do fine for you. It's not a bad oil. While Pennzoil might be giving rebates, they don't do it all the time. If you want the Syn performance, at a general lower price, Supertech will fill the bill.

Trust me if you have a stash and keep an eye on thing there is always a cheaper oil than Supertech. I've never seen it on sale and I've never seen a rebate. Just last summer I picked up 5 Jugs of Havoline Pro DS Synthetic Motor Oil with a final cost of $10.70 a Jug. The new math tells me that beats Supertech pricing of $17.47 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

EXACTLY. I have 6 jugs of that oil from (I'm assuming) the same O'Reilly clearance earlier this year. $10 per jug is as cheap as you will find synthetic. I also just picked up 14 quarts of Castrol Edge HM and 10 quarts of Mobil 1 HM (both in the 10W40 varieties) for $2/quart at an Autozone clearance. You can find cheaper deals if you are willing to look around or at least follow that particular message board here on BITOG. I have an alert set up to notify me every time someone posts on that board. :)

I took stock of my inventory last night and I have 95 quarts of oil in various viscosities. Almost all are full synthetic and I didn't pay more than $2-3/quart for any of it. I know that sounds like a lot, but I maintain 4 vehicles and getting oil that cheap really helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

EXACTLY. I have 6 jugs of that oil from (I'm assuming) the same O'Reilly clearance earlier this year. $10 per jug is as cheap as you will find synthetic. I also just picked up 14 quarts of Castrol Edge HM and 10 quarts of Mobil 1 HM (both in the 10W40 varieties) for $2/quart at an Autozone clearance. You can find cheaper deals if you are willing to look around or at least follow that particular message board here on BITOG. I have an alert set up to notify me every time someone posts on that board. :)

I took stock of my inventory last night and I have 95 quarts of oil in various viscosities. Almost all are full synthetic and I didn't pay more than $2-3/quart for any of it. I know that sounds like a lot, but I maintain 4 vehicles and getting oil that cheap really helps.

Not everyone can have a oil stash. When I lived in a small apartment, the Mrs kept me to a max of about 20 quarts. In addition, those clear-outs are not always universal depending on the region you live in... Wally's is normally very consistent across region. That same Havoline clearance(OReilly) was $14/jug in my area. So if you do not want or can't keep a stash, the using the shelf at a store is the next best thing.

I have seen Supertech on Rollback. Under $10 for Conv 5qt jugs and $14 for Syn. But then again, if you look around you can normally find a better deal than Pennzoil offers. Formula Shell is often the better consistent deal. Heck "Quality" - Shell product at Sams is normally $2 a quart everyday.

The last time I did a charity car safety/inspection event, Supertech was the cheapest in my area with the supplies I needed. A local grocery store had the best price on windshield washer fluid and coolant was a deal at NAPA. I checked every local autoparts store and poked at a few managers. No worries, I cleared out some of my stash for the event and then had to accommodate about 150 cars more from my event fund.

FYI, one of the scariest BITOG "stories" I came across at the event was a 2013 Hyundai Sonata w/ 44K that needed 4 quarts of oil to top off! It holds just under 5qts total! No leaks. Just neglect. I dont think the kid driving it ever changed the oil in at least 20K miles. He did not know when it was last changed. Made me want to crawl under my oil car, cry and change the oil vicariously.

Not everyone can have a oil stash. When I lived in a small apartment, the Mrs kept me to a max of about 20 quarts.

Good point. I guess I was just making the (poor) assumption that most BITOGers have a garage or somewhere to keep oil. I used to just buy it on an as-needed basis, but once I started following the clearance/rebate forum closely I ran into deals that were too good to pass up. To me, it is worth stashing oil when you can get it for less than half of the normal Walmart price. I totally understand if you don't have the space, though.

Wow, "unsurpassed wear protection" is a cute way to say it meets the minimum industry standards.

I believe it was discussed here a couple years back or so, basically where the wear is actually measured where the error bar would extend to "zero wear." I would gather that most fully formulated motor oils will get you there. So, you can't claim that you're better than anyone else (because zero wear is zero wear), but you can claim that no one is better than you. Therefore, you're unsurpassed, which is technically correct.

Originally Posted By: Garak
OOOOH! Yay! Statistics and research methods, yeah!!!

Bingo. Note that no oil manufacturer claims 50% less wear for synthetics over conventionals. Isn't this some gem that Consumer Reports spouted? If the oil manufacturers could advertise 50% less wear with their premium products, that would be all over the labels in a font nearly as large as the brand name.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/...17-US.legal.pdf

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2017/06/aaa-spills-truth-oil-changes/

Now the AAA would have lots to lie to on this because A they don't sell oil B maybe the AAA CEO has twenty or thirty million in oil stock?

On the new, redesigned Valvoline Synpower bottles, Valvoline is putting right on the front label something very similar. It says something about "50% better wear than our conventional oil."

I was surprised to see it. Valvoline must be basing it on a test they ran, comparing the wear of their conventional against their Synpower oil?

Originally Posted By: flinter
Jeff,

sorry, but I find it VERY had to believe that a particular brand of full synthetic will make the engine "run much smoother" than any other quality synthetic brand! Its all in you head and being imagined.

They are not cars I drive, As I mentioned, the people that stated this are woman in my family that I do oil changes for in their car. THEY are the ones who noticed a difference.

So all I can say is, for someone that IS NOT a car person, or cares about cars AT ALL to come out and tell me "What the heck did you do to my car" well, if it makes them happy to have the Castrol in? I will do it.

You know the saying, "A happy Wife makes for a Happy Life" so I dont argue.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'll have to take a look, and see what they're comparing against, of course. If PYB is "unsurpassed" then it doesn't give me a lot of reason to buy Synpower, at double the price to get 50% less wear than VWB, now does it?

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: flinter
Jeff,

sorry, but I find it VERY had to believe that a particular brand of full synthetic will make the engine "run much smoother" than any other quality synthetic brand! Its all in you head and being imagined.

I agree with this 110%

Responded to the other guy.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: njohnson

On the new, redesigned Valvoline Synpower bottles, Valvoline is putting right on the front label something very similar. It says something about "50% better wear than our conventional oil."

I was surprised to see it. Valvoline must be basing it on a test they ran, comparing the wear of their conventional against their Synpower oil?

...and to JohnnyJohnson's point, on the back of those same redesigned Valvoline Synthetic bottles, they claim different levels of wear protection depending on the level of Valvoline used. The opposite of the Pennzoil image i previously shared.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/compare-motor-oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back