Superfoods for Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krill oil has some great benefits, especially for us diabetics. Research to find a reputable and safe manufacturer. Krill oil may also contain astaxanthin which has many benefits as well.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Garlic

I'm Italian that is a food group. No Vampires around these parts!
lol.gif

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!
I'm transylvanian....
actually no. Wifey is ... :p

now recipe to "cut" the "strength" (actually hiding it):
-the zatziki sauce

my modified version recipe:
-coarse salt (2-3 pinches)
-black pepper freshly ground (1 pinch)
-paprika (sweet/hot/....) (1-2 pinches)
-oil (olive/ sunflower cold-pressed)
-garlic cloves (3-6 big ones)
-yoghurt
-sour cream (if your yoghurt is "light")

use your kitchen gadget to crush garlic cloves
mix in a bowl (use a kitchen robot/mixer; i like a wooden spoon), crushed garlic, salt, pepper, oil until mayo consistency
add yoghurt+-sour cream
add paprika
add finely chopped celery/parsley/dill leaves for flavor (I don't get the US fascination with not using the leaves and root from celery: they are delicious)

you can add grated cucumber (if you want to stay true to the recipe)

enjoy/Bon Apetit

- I dislike Kale but I force myself to eat it in salads because it's supposed to be good for you.
- I try to get some fruit in there like Apples, Peaches, Blueberries but I'm really bad with this.

alternative one:
smoothie (use water/your favourite juice not milk)
kale + apples + peaches + blueberries + some nuts

alternative two:
cut kale smaller bits (kind of like Subway letuce)
add lemon juice to salad

“When I was a kid, it was common to get sent to Mumps, Chickenpox and Measles parties so that one will get infected and be done with it but here in the US, Measles outbreak is treated as the next plague. Its funny how media plays into money hand.“

Yep I went through all of that too. Uncomfortable but not the horror that the fake news media reports it to be. Of course, pregnant women should stay away. This was simply done with a sign taped to the door. Simpler times then.

Lots of variety. Every little thing has trace elements that help cells stay healthy.

Also ... every meal should have two different coloured vegetables. You can substitute fruit for vegetables as they also contain valuable trace elements, but watch the sugars (sugar is not a bad food, but in moderation, please) and at least one meal should be all vegetables, no fruit.

Eat more, smaller meals throughout the day. Six is better than three, and two is really not healthy at all. Three meals and three healthy snacks is OK, but don't confuse the meaning of "snacks" with what amounts to candy. Crackers and cheese, a banana and some nuts, not potato chips.

Eat healthy fats with every meal. Most vitamins are fat-soluable; no fat, no vitamin benefit. It's why salads come with an oil-based dressing.

Ignore any and all "Health Studies" the media is so keen to throw at you. No study is of any Earthly use without peer review, and that takes years, sometimes decades. 70% of all studies cannot be repeated, and are therefore not true at all, but you can't know which until the peer review process is complete.

So the latest "news" is worthless. If there is really anything to learn, it will show up in a decade or three. Not before.

The rest is up to you.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I always hear a lot of noise about calorie restricted diets extending lifespans, but I don't know if there is anything real to it or it's just another pseudoscientific fad. Seems like it's a similar crowd to the anti-vaccination movement that wants to bring us back to the good old days of polio, smallpox, and the Black Death.

It helped me reverse my Type-II diabetic sugars that were really high down to manageable levels without medication. I'm fighting hard to keep off the medications going to the pool and eating right etc. and so far it's working. I also found that a diet higher in plants and less in meat (not cutting out altogether) and keeping as low carb as possible had helped immensely along with the caloric restriction.

My Doctor was very impressed.

Really glad to hear about your progress in reducing your blood sugar, that is awesome news!
I am always worried about my blood sugar due to my diet and I have always come out OK on my blood tests. I am generally good about my meals and love things like hummus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, whole grains, and high fiber foods...but have a weakness for Little Debbie-type zero nutrition snacks and will also have the mega-splurge fast food meals too often. My wife is extremely frugal and would probably have us on pasta and sauce dinners almost every night if I wasn't pushing to get some fresh veggies in there, too.

Are you concentrating mostly on avoiding carb calories, or do try to keep on a strict low calorie regimen? The people I read about trying to actively extend their lifespans through diet seem to be working towards taking in just enough to survive...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I eat sardines everyday for the selinium.

Man I hope you have a steady supply of Mentos wintergreen gum or something, no offense.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I eat sardines everyday for the selinium.

Man I hope you have a steady supply of Mentos wintergreen gum or something, no offense.

Always with the sugars (or sugar substitutes, which can act as sugars to your pancreas, so not really a healthy alternative). Try a sprig pf parsley at the end of your meal instead, use mint in recipes, etc

The worst contributor to bad breath (or foul Body Odour, sweat, etc) is usually animal proteins and sugars.

Really glad to hear about your progress in reducing your blood sugar, that is awesome news!
I am always worried about my blood sugar due to my diet and I have always come out OK on my blood tests. I am generally good about my meals and love things like hummus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, whole grains, and high fiber foods...but have a weakness for Little Debbie-type zero nutrition snacks and will also have the mega-splurge fast food meals too often. My wife is extremely frugal and would probably have us on pasta and sauce dinners almost every night if I wasn't pushing to get some fresh veggies in there, too.

Are you concentrating mostly on avoiding carb calories, or do try to keep on a strict low calorie regimen? The people I read about trying to actively extend their lifespans through diet seem to be working towards taking in just enough to survive...

Things I try to avoid are Bread, Pasta, Potatoes etc. (And all refined sugar)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Beats
Sweet Potatoes(without all of the toppings)
+1 and for those that can't stand them I also put in a chocolate protein shake 1.5 beats per glass you never knew it was in it

Just avoid the fad diets and trendy foods like Kale. All that early research is just filler material that lousy journalists use for clicks and views.

We all come from various parts of the planet and not every place supported the growth of the same plants. To think that Kale and broccoli and dragonfruit and whatever else are universally good for our bodies ignores the fact that our ancestors lived quite robust lives on foods that were native to their area. (The inuits lived mostly off a fat rich diet but they didn't have heart disease problems)

As others have mentioned, mobility is what matters. We used to be hunter/gatherers who spent most of our days moving. Our lives now are mostly sedentary.

So take a walk or go to the gym or ride a bike.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I buy quite a bit of Spirolina from Amazon. This is the brand I use. I find ways to mix it into things.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Spirulina...words=spirulina

It's a blue-green algae that is full of antioxidants, vitamins, micro-nutrients and packed full of protein.

I don't eat it much, my 12 year old son is a National level athelte, and we were turned onto this by his trainers.

I’ve tried Spirulina twice in shakes and both times after about an hour of eating it I began to have some of the worst nausea, vomiting and diarrhea I’ve ever had that lasted for about 6 hours. It was so bad that all my muscles were cramping from dehydration/electrolyte imbalance and I could barely get up without passing out. Also included were terrible sweats/chills. Maybe it was just the toxins leaving my body, maybe I’m just sensitive to it, but I’d start small to test your tolerance for it. Chlorella is another one to watch out for.

Everything else in the shakes was just normal fruit, and dairy, nothing bad, old or rotten.

Ugh.. I couldn't imagine eating spirulina! I feed a form of spirulina flakes to my fish, because it's something they'd normally get in nature. But for humans? Yeah, I dunno.

I'm very indifferent to all the latest and greatest break throughs for best health. It always breaks down to diet and exercise. Use moderation in what you eat. Eat less, move more. Try to keep your intake of sugars and processed food as light as possible like said above.

Sounds easy right? LOL. I wish! It's EXPENSIVE to eat properly when you have a busy family going in different directions at once.. and on a limited income.

Of course there are "super-foods." These are the ones with more anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals, than other foods. And there are clearly dozens of such foods that pack more nutrients than similar "looking" foods. Broccoli, garlic, etc have already been mentioned. If you want to lower your own risk factors for cancer and auto-immune diseases then steer your diet towards superfoods foods....and it will still be very balanced.

Check out nutritionfacts.org if you don't believe this is so. You only get 1500-3000 calories per day. Make them the most nutrition dense you can. Very simple principle.

For unbiased health information - including super foods

My favs: Broccoli, kale, romaine/chard, blueberries, garlic and red onions, whole oranges, beets, red cabbage, almonds/walnuts, avocado, quinoa, organic dried figs, apple cider vinegar, sweet potato, tumeric, cinnamon and other spices. If you can't identify the superb nutrients in your foods....the odds are good you probably aren't eating most of the right ones.

What do these foods have in common? They all seem to show up on "superfood" lists.
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussels sprouts
Garlic
Parsley
Spinach
Beets
Turmeric
Cinnamon
Cardamom
Black seeds (black cumin)

Answer: They are involved in glutathione production and keeping it from oxidizing. Hmmm...anti-oxidants again.

I don't care what others say, potatoes are a superfood IF...........IF, they are not fried.

I eat them all the time; they are the ultimate food for mixing and matching dishes; chilies, stews etc. can be poured over them or added. I make beef stroganoff and pour it over a steamed potato often. YUM. I LOVE a potato with broccoli cheese sauce poured over it. You can make a fairly non fat cheese sauce with American cheese and can microwave or steam a russet potato in no time. I also routinely make pork green chili verde stew with potatoes. They are basically my favorite food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...superfoods.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/6-r...4b06384eb3e339c

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I don't care what others say, potatoes are a superfood IF...........IF, they are not fried.

As long as the skin stays on it. Same thing with apples, that's where most of the fiber comes from. Which is why there isn't much fiber in apple sauce.

I would also look into the health benefits of fasting (ie. Not eating for extended periods of time).

Lots of new research coming out on it. I typically do a 24 hour fast once a month or so, reset my system. It has been shown to increase good hormones like gh and help with blood sugar and insulin levels.

The benefits start to plateu around the 24 hour mark. So no need to go too crazy.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I can't dispute that. But, if you're going for them, upgrade to sweet potatoes or yams, which are more nutrient dense, lycopene - vit A, potassium, etc. I would think the sweet version is lower glycemic too. My wife makes up a steamed cauliflower dish and essentially turns it into a potato-like dish that tastes very similar to mashed potatoes....only much more nutrient dense. A flavorful way to get your cruciferrous veggies. Add in spices, garlic and onions, avocado, apple cider vinegar, etc.

I always hear a lot of noise about calorie restricted diets extending lifespans, but I don't know if there is anything real to it or it's just another pseudoscientific fad. Seems like it's a similar crowd to the anti-vaccination movement that wants to bring us back to the good old days of polio, smallpox, and the Black Death.

It extends lifespan because all foods take enzymes to process, but closer to raw will have more of the natural enzymes to help digest the food automatically. What I've seen is that basically your lifespan is determined by this enzyme 'reserve'... and when you run out of enzymes, your chemical processes begin to cease, leading to death. This is obviously independent of viral/bacterial/fungal infections that damage your cells as well.

Eat less overall, with more raw foods, and take something like oil of oregano to keep infections at bay and you should live a long, healthy life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back