Superfoods for Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Beets
Sweet Potatoes(without all of the toppings)

Beets to me taste like dirt, even the pickled ones. As for sweet potatoes I'm take it or leave it.

I'm with ya! I don't like beets at all and I can eat sweet potatoes but, if I never ate one again, I wouldn't miss'em.

Last edited:
Don't eat anything that is sealed in a package, frozen, modified, enhanced, improved or that contains any chemicals, additives, antibiotics, growth hormones or other drugs, fillers or corn sugars and especially avoid GMO's.

Food all by itself is good for you. Oh, and water, too. Get as close to the source as possible.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I don't care what others say, potatoes are a superfood IF...........IF, they are not fried.

I can't dispute that. But, if you're going for them, upgrade to sweet potatoes or yams, which are more nutrient dense, lycopene - vit A, potassium, etc. I would think the sweet version is lower glycemic too. My wife makes up a steamed cauliflower dish and essentially turns it into a potato-like dish that tastes very similar to mashed potatoes....only much more nutrient dense. A flavorful way to get your cruciferrous veggies. Add in spices, garlic and onions, avocado, apple cider vinegar, etc.

Sweet potatoes are healthier, but I personally don't like them.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Don't eat anything that is sealed in a package, frozen, modified, enhanced, improved or that contains any chemicals, additives, antibiotics, growth hormones or other drugs, fillers or corn sugars and especially avoid GMO's.

Food all by itself is good for you. Oh, and water, too. Get as close to the source as possible.

Doesn't fresh produce has GMO's and grown with fertilizer and pesticides ?

Fresh Poultry, pork and beef has antibiotics and growth hormones??

Beets

Beets to me taste like dirt, even the pickled ones. As for sweet potatoes I'm take it or leave it.

I'm with ya! I don't like beets at all and I can eat sweet potatoes but, if I never ate one again, I wouldn't miss'em.

That's because you are not eating them right:
-skip pickled/tin cans
-make sure the beets exterior surface are not starting to soften (they are fresh)
-wash and clean
-boil
-let cool
-peel
-chop/grate to desired size
-tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
-pinch of salt
-8 grains of freshly ground black pepper
-tablespoon of oil of choice
-fresh finely grated horseradish (or for exotic feeling, WASABI)

enjoy.

P.S.Say bye to all cold microbes too :p

Beets

I've had them just about every way and can't get to like them. Sweet potatoes are "meh" to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Easier said than done. You either have to grow all this in your own organic farmland/garden or know someone who does, and be billing to pay the much higher food costs to get it. And even then, unless you inspect the process, you are taking the seller at their word.

Poultry is not normally injected with antibiotics or hormones. Not hard to find free ranging chickens outside the cities. Beef is another story. That's usually heavily injected with stuff. Grass fed beef is probably the only smart way to go...though it can easily double to quadruple the price of the meat. I've seen some studies that being 100% strictly organic w/o any additives doesn't add all that much more (if any) to our lifespans. We have so many other sources of stress/oxidants that food alone might not save us (ie genes you were born with, sunlight/UV exposure, chemicals in the environment from the home to your industry exposures, radiation from numerous sources, stress of every day life, sleep quality, exercise quality, stimulants (alcohol, prescription drugs, caffeine, illegal drugs, cigs), etc. All we can do is minimize our risk factors to the best of our ability. The genes, those we're stuck with.

Like Socrates said, "food is medicine." Though if he lived today, he wouldn't say that...lol. Maybe he'd say, "if you eat today's typical foods, you'll need medicine."

Antibiotics are just mixed into the feed or watering system, so no one needs to inject a zillion chickens. Probably the biggest health threat to your health is the super bugs created by excessive antibiotic use in industrial farming. It would be nice to have some sort of expert long term planning and decide if 20 cents per pound cheaper $hit meat now is worth lots of people's lives in the future...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Antibiotics are just mixed into the feed or watering system, so no one needs to inject a zillion chickens. Probably the biggest health threat to your health is the super bugs created by excessive antibiotic use in industrial farming. It would be nice to have some sort of expert long term planning and decide if 20 cents per pound cheaper $hit meat now is worth lots of people's lives in the future...

Most diseases birds get don't cross over to humans so I fail to see the connection. The only one I found that can and is exclusive to poultry is Avian Bird Flu and is a virus so it doesn't have any antibiotics to treat it.

They treat all birds because the most efficient way and what we have to do for the short term is raise them in close proximity, which allows diseases to spread rapidly. If you don't use antibiotics there are other ways but prepare to pay double/triple.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
and especially avoid GMO's.

Almost every vegetable humans consume is genetically modified, and has been for thousands of years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science/s...food-180952656/

That's not genetic engineering, that's cross breeding or also known as hybridization. The key difference between the two is genetic engineering I can select one gene I want in my plant. Cross breeding is taking descendents of plants breeding them with other plants that combined give you the traits you are looking for, but I have to take all the bad genes I also don't want, therefore I have limited control.

Did nobody learn about Mendel's Peas in Biology class?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I always hear a lot of noise about calorie restricted diets extending lifespans, but I don't know if there is anything real to it or it's just another pseudoscientific fad. Seems like it's a similar crowd to the anti-vaccination movement that wants to bring us back to the good old days of polio, smallpox, and the Black Death.

It extends lifespan because all foods take enzymes to process, but closer to raw will have more of the natural enzymes to help digest the food automatically. What I've seen is that basically your lifespan is determined by this enzyme 'reserve'... and when you run out of enzymes, your chemical processes begin to cease, leading to death. This is obviously independent of viral/bacterial/fungal infections that damage your cells as well.

Eat less overall, with more raw foods, and take something like oil of oregano to keep infections at bay and you should live a long, healthy life!

What is an enzyme and why is it needed to digest food? If my enzyme reserve begins to diminish do I just go on a raw diet to extend my life?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Most produce isn't genetically modified. Yes grown with fertilizer and pesticides unless organic and even that isn't 100% true.

All three meats have antibiotics but hormones have been banned for poultry in the US since the 50's.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

Most diseases birds get don't cross over to humans so I fail to see the connection. The only one I found that can and is exclusive to poultry is Avian Bird Flu and is a virus so it doesn't have any antibiotics to treat it.

They treat all birds because the most efficient way and what we have to do for the short term is raise them in close proximity, which allows diseases to spread rapidly. If you don't use antibiotics there are other ways but prepare to pay double/triple.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...-to-your-table/

???

The antibiotics are sold as "growth promoters"...

They stop the chickens getting sick and not growing "efficiently", while creating breeding grounds for resistant bugs that aren't making the chickens sick.

Foremost infection guru in Oz, Professor Collingon, who saved my Dad's arm after the blood bank gave him staff wants the practice outlawed.

There are indirect issues to antibiotics in our food.

Quote:
Antibiotics that were banned on US chicken farms a decade ago over links to the spread of potentially deadly bacteria in humans are being used in significantly increased quantities by the British poultry industry, an investigation has revealed.

Quote:
...serious problems arise because the same class of drugs are also used in human medicine to treat people who suffer severe cases of foodborne infections.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...s-a6859436.html

Beets....I am one of the 20% of people who have adverse reactions to them.I once ate 5-6 finger size pieces of pickled beets.About 30 minutes later I was nauseated,having chills and flushing spells and a headache.It was to the point I was immobilized for 3 hours or so.

I was intrigued by their Nitric oxide properties so I ordered beet powder.I mix a teaspoon to 12 oz of low sugar apple cranberry juice and drink it through out the day.It really makes a difference in endurance and energy levels.Don't drink it late in the day because you will not be able to sleep.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...-to-your-table/

Staphylococcus aureus resistance to antibiotics doesn't strictly come from over use of drugs in animals. Plenty of evidence that antibiotics given to humans also drives that resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back