Summer tires vs All-seasons for crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Are there any summer tires available in this size?

Krzys

The consensus was that, while summer tires would work since I have winter tires also, they wouldn't be as durable as touring all-seasons or the like.

I think the point krzys was trying to make is that you may not be able to find any summer tires in this size, even if you wanted to. TireRack does not show any summer tires available in your size, but maybe they do exist?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Are there any summer tires available in this size?

Krzys

The consensus was that, while summer tires would work since I have winter tires also, they wouldn't be as durable as touring all-seasons or the like.

I think the point krzys was trying to make is that you may not be able to find any summer tires in this size, even if you wanted to. TireRack does not show any summer tires available in your size, but maybe they do exist?

I see, thanks or the clarification.

I feel like there aren't, but are there any negatives to upgrading speed rating to 102H from T?

I don't think there are any negatives. In fact, most H-rated tires are better constructed in order to achieve that H speed rating.

I don't think there are any negatives. In fact, most H-rated tires are better constructed in order to achieve that H speed rating.

I suspect a general rule is that the higher the speed rating the heavier the tires is, more road noise and vibration is transmitted from the contact patch, and maybe worse snow traction, as snow tires used to almost always have a low speed rating, single ply sidewalls, etc.
But for a 3 season tire the differences wouldn't be that noticeable and the expert here prefers the toughness of a H+ speed rated tire, as it has far less blow outs statistically.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I suspect a general rule is that the higher the speed rating the heavier the tires is, more road noise and vibration is transmitted from the contact patch, and maybe worse snow traction, as snow tires used to almost always have a low speed rating, single ply sidewalls, etc.
But for a 3 season tire the differences wouldn't be that noticeable and the expert here prefers the toughness of a H+ speed rated tire, as it has far less blow outs statistically.

Until you get into much higher speed rated tires like the Mich Super Sport, mine are rated "Y" for 300 km/hr. Then they stop using metal belts for many plies and start using exotic materials like Kevlar etc. My Mich SS are much lighter than my Mich A/S3.

Last edited:
Plenty of good tires in your size(225-65-17). If you need recommendations, you know that you can ask our wonderful cast of BITOG members.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Plenty of good tires in your size(225-65-17). If you need recommendations, you know that you can ask our wonderful cast of BITOG members.
laugh.gif

I would kindly appreciate recommendations, some have already been made!
smile.gif

Just read the reviews for these, what does the wonderful cast think??

Discount Tire Michelin Defender LTX

70K warrenty and H rated. It says they are good for full size trucks and SUVs. My CR-V isn't exact;y full size, but it is a chunky 3,500 lbs curb weight.

SOHC

SOHCman
I don’t recommend it. My experience with the former Michelin LTX is they were prone to hydroplaning and extremely hard rubber compound. Sure, they last many miles. But, the sidewalls will dry rot and crack before the treads wear out.

Originally Posted By: MParr
SOHCman
I feel this would be a better tire than the Michelin Defender LTX. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus/p/19500
Cooper has two tires that will serve you well, also. They are the Discoverer SRX and the CS5 Ultra Touring all carrying an H speed rating. The H speed rated tires will give you a better ride and are built better than the T rated tires.

Interesting, I do like Coopers also. Do you think these would resist dry-rot more than Michelin? They may last longer than usual due to being swapped out for winters.

Thanks everyone! Ended up with the just released Michelin defender T+H with 80K warranty and Ill be sure to review.

SOHC

Michelin is always a good choice even if they are a bit pricey. I have had many Michelin tires on vehicles that I have purchased new however, I have never purchased Michelin tires afterward. Definitely keep us posted as time goes by. I am especially interested in quiet & good riding tires as I have no time for loud & too firm tires in my older age.

Michelin is always a good choice even if they are a bit pricey. I have had many Michelin tires on vehicles that I have purchased new however, I have never purchased Michelin tires afterward. Definitely keep us posted as time goes by. I am especially interested in quiet & good riding tires as I have no time for loud & too firm tires in my older age.

Seconded. The Q7 I just bought came with a new set of $1700 N0 Michelin Latitude Sports.

They're a fine tire but I don't expect to see more than 20k out of them and they will not be going back on at that price.

And of course everyone remembers what we know about factory specified tires having little in common with the aftermarket.

Actually, being dissatisfied with factory spec tires is an excellent reason to try an aftermarket tire, even in the same brand...

So far very quiet and good ride. This is coming from Winter tires though. They have been great in all this rain to. its still cold out but no difference in milage noted.

I agree on getting all seasons. I always have a dedicated set of rims/tires for the winter. Only once I put a high performance summer tire on a car, it was my 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon, it really helped with stability for towing the travel trailer (235/65VR17). That car got 45k miles or so on the previous set of tires, those high performance Bridgestones only lasted a little over 20k miles. I no longer tow with it, so it is back to using all seasons again. Plus, when it had the summer tires on it and they were not all season, you had to be sure and get the snow tires on before the 1st snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back