Summer oil vs winter oil

I'm seriously curious as to why there is so much discussion about changing to a different motor oil weight for different seasons.
I drive a water cooled internal combustion powered vehicle that uses a thermostat to control the coolant temperature. Regardless of the outside/ambient temperature, the coolant temperature is maintained at 195 degrees. It doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is outside, the thermostat keeps the coolant at 195 degrees. Once the engine achieves normal operating temperature, that thermostat maintains that engine temperature.
So why therefore do people think that in the summer they must run heavier/thicker motor oil and in winter they must use lighter/thinner oil. Ninty-nine out of 100 people I talk to seem to believe this thick-oil/ thin-oil is reality.
Back in 1965 I bought a new Dodge Polara 500 with a 383 cu in 2-bbl engine. People told me that Chrysler engines had a soft crank shafts, and that I should use a heavier oil. I was working for Atlantic at the time (predecessor of Atlantic Richfield). Our premium line of motor oil was named Atlantic Imperial which was sold in two different grades, 5W-20 and 20W-40. I bought the car in late fall and began to run the 5W-20 and never changed to the 20W-40. It ran great, got good gas mileage, never used a single drop of oil, and was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
My father drove Studebakers in those days. He had a 1956 Power Hawk with a 259 cu in engine and ran 20W-20 year round. When it had 176,000 miles on it, he traded it because it was using one quart of oil every 1500 miles (valve seals were worn), and because his new job required a lot of driving. He traded it on a Mercedes diesel.
So tell me again why one should switch between motor oil weights with the changing seasons~????????

I'm seriously curious as to why there is so much discussion about changing to a different motor oil weight for different seasons.
Some people are just obsessive compulsive and the seasonal changes along with the justification for doing so have a soothing effect. ;)

In florida? sure run whatever you want regardless of season. Places with -20F though, getting oil that flows decent at those temperatures is good for a start up and often it takes 5-10 miles of highway driving to get oil anywhere near 195F.

I drive a water cooled internal combustion powered vehicle that uses a thermostat to control the coolant temperature. Regardless of the outside/ambient temperature, the coolant temperature is maintained at 195 degrees. It doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is outside, the thermostat keeps the coolant at 195 degrees. Once the engine achieves normal operating temperature, that thermostat maintains that engine temperature.
So why therefore do people think that in the summer they must run heavier/thicker motor oil and in winter they must use lighter/thinner oil.

So tell me again why one should switch between motor oil weights with the changing seasons~????????

It about the start up, not the run.

You almost understood it.

Back in 1965 I bought a new Dodge Polara 500 with a 383 cu in 2-bbl engine. People told me that Chrysler engines had a soft crank shafts, and that I should use a heavier oil. I was working for Atlantic at the time (predecessor of Atlantic Richfield). Our premium line of motor oil was named Atlantic Imperial which was sold in two different grades, 5W-20 and 20W-40. I bought the car in late fall and began to run the 5W-20 and never changed to the 20W-40. It ran great, got good gas mileage, never used a single drop of oil, and was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
And I thought 5W20 had been invented to placate the evil CAFE overlords...

Anyhow. Motor oil gets thick when it gets cold. Really hard to pump. But back then, want to say they tended to run thicker oil to deal with larger clearances, brought on by worse tolerance control (or just plain tradition). Also, most cars did not use oil to coolant heat exchangers like they do today. Run the motor hard and the engine oil temperature can rise above coolant temp and thin out. Today automakers strive to control all fluid temps, keeping them around 100C (give or take).

Multi-grade wasn't what it is today. Didn't realize they had multi-grade back then... not really surprised, the system of measurement existed and all. Still. In the 1960's, wouldn't most still be using single weight oil? 40 for summer, 30 for winter (or even 20)?

There was once a perception that wide viscosity spreads in a multigrade were inferior-- they sheared down quickly or were otherwise defective. So people ran a "robust" 10w30 or straight weight in the summer and compromised in the winter.

My prius has hundreds of volts available to turn the engine over so I don't have to worry about that anymore, LOL. It still gets 0w20.

My beaters get 10w30 in the summer, but that's oil I paid less than a buck a quart for, so it's an excuse to get rid of it.

Back