Success of Genesis Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an Azera, the 1st try from hyundai to enter the luxury market, I bought it instead of a G35 because it had all the things the nissan had for a lot less money. The car was good, but due to lack of advertising from the company nobody new about it, I felt like an orphan, same for my neighbour with a VeraCruz. I took a bath when traded in for a MB E350, because NOBODY new about this car. Hyundai has long way to go to provide the service luxury buyers expect, service that will help you keep a residual value in your car that will be acceptable. They contacted me to buy a genesis, but I declined citing what i said above. The car I'm sure is quite good, but without company support it will flounder.

Most people buy luxury nameplates for the badge on the grille - there's a reason the Mercedes star is the size of a dinner plate and lights up.

Cars like the VW Phaeton, Genesis and K9 are nice cars, but no one is dropping that kind of money to say they drive a VW or Kia.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Part of the problem was Hyundai until this past two years did not separate the car line like Toyota,Honda and Nissan did with their upscale brands.

Bingo! Every time I've left a Hyundai dealer I've felt like I needed to take a shower. When I looked at a Genesis Coupe several years ago I was hounded from the minute I opened the door of my Mazdaspeed 3- "Ya ready to trade that in?" "What can I do to put ya in a car today?" the usual liner-closer garbage. And needless to say, it would be safe to assume my dog knew more about the car I was looking at than any of the salespeople.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Part of the problem was Hyundai until this past two years did not separate the car line like Toyota,Honda and Nissan did with their upscale brands.

Bingo! Every time I've left a Hyundai dealer I've felt like I needed to take a shower. When I looked at a Genesis Coupe several years ago I was hounded from the minute I opened the door of my Mazdaspeed 3- "Ya ready to trade that in?" "What can I do to put ya in a car today?" the usual liner-closer garbage. And needless to say, it would be safe to assume my dog knew more about the car I was looking at than any of the salespeople.
I can't stand any car dealer. But I bought my Genesis Coupe solely because it was a 2 dr coupe with Brembos for under $30k. I knew what I wanted, 2010 red 2L turbo Track package, but most dealers would just say yes we have one. But I found out I had to ask them to go look at the brake calipers, if red they are Brembos if silver they are Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Its a good idea...but IMO they should have never badged it a Hyundai for a decade. It should have originated as Genesis to become the luxury arm. I see a lexus as a Lexus instead of a Toyota but i see a Genesis as just a Hyundai.

I dont think they are seriously going to grab any sales from people shopping for Mercedes-Benz AMGs anytime soon. Its not even in the same league IMO. They have a lot of catching up to do.

I believe they can build a car to rival an AMG but im not sure they can persuade the popluace to seeing them as equal for a couple decades.

They were able to push their way into the standard car market in 20 years and becone competitive, but i think the luxury market is even more difficult.

Its hard to stand toe to toe with Mercedes and BMW as a newcomer. Lexus, Infinity, Acura, and Jaguar have all been fighting that battle for 30years.

Genesis G80 Sport Takes on Mercedes-AMG E43 in Casual Comparison

Mazda's stillborn attempt at a luxury brand was Amati. It never even made it to launch, but the cheaper models did make it to market as Mazdas; the flagship model did not.

Hyundai's mistake was in trying to half-butt it and giving mixed messages. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura were all launched with stand alone dealerships, not boutiques within a normal Toyota/Nissan/Honda stores. It has realized the mistake and is now pursuing that strategy.

Not helping was a simple rebadging an existing model, and using a nameplate that had already been applied to another existing model. More mixed messages and potential confusion.

Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura (to a lesser extent), were all launched with distinct flagship models that defined what the brand was to be. And that hardware backed it up, using value to attract early buyers and establish themselves before becoming full-fledged competitors.

~25 years later, Toyota has unquestionably done the best job. Infiniti started strong (the early marketing campaign using rocks and plants to sell cars notwithstanding), but it hasn't reached the same stature, and Acura even less so.

But it would be foolish to discount the Koreans. They are very aggressive, willing to invest, and can learn from their mistakes. If the product can back it up, the brands will follow. Look at what they've done to Japan and the CE industry, and by keeping the same brands.

Anyone have a chance to check out the new Kia Stinger yet? I think this vehicle will fair better than that Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Mazda tried to do the upscale branding (forget the name) and it didn't work out. Millenium?

Hyundai probably has more capital to make it work.
Back in the 90s Mazda was going to introduce an upscale brand called, IIRC, Amati. They got cold feet and cancelled it before it was launched here.

It's funny, during our year in NZ I saw various Honda models that were sold here as Acuras - for example, the Vigor. I got the impression that the upscale thing is more aimed at North America.

I would not discount Hyundai, they might have a rough start, but as was mentioned they seem determined and willing.

Also many seem to forget that Lexus ES is nothing more than a pimped out Camry and Acura would probably not even exist if they haven't came up with a one trick pony which is the MDX and now other crossover spinoffs, which is the only thing keeping Acura alive.

Oh how the memories are so short and selective.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I thought that since Lexus is going more sporty/or hi-perf with many of their models that, the Genesis brand would catch some of the traditional Lexus buyers that may abandon Lexus and still want the smooth, soft & quiet luxury car like the Genesis.

That is exactly my observation. Fixed income people who want the niceities without the pricetag.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Also many seem to forget that Lexus ES is nothing more than a pimped out Camry and Acura would probably not even exist if they haven't came up with a one trick pony which is the MDX and now other crossover spinoffs, which is the only thing keeping Acura alive.

Oh how the memories are so short and selective.

That's what I think is so stupid about many of these brands.

Lexus at least has some unique RWD vehicles. Maybe infiniti does too? But rebadged camry? LOL. Rebadged fancy smaller highlander? Fancied up Pilot? Maybe theyre "good" or better looking... I dunno.

We should remember that Hyundai is a huge conglomerate and the car business is one piece of the pie. Some may argue the company was broken up during the Asian Financial Crisis of the 90’s but only on paper. Shipping, Construction, Shipbuilding, Automotive, Electronics and Healthcare just to name some sectors they are involved in. As for their auto business they might be slipping in the US but they are huge throughout Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai

Just tried the "build and price" on a G80 and it looks like you can't get black leather without some hideous version of wood grain interior. Definitely a downer for a "luxury" brand.

The G70 coming out looks extremely nice. It's something I'd own in a few years CPO. They seem to have a pretty steep depreciation which would discourage a new buy from me. Hyundai in general is probably struggling because by and large it has more cars and less large SUV's, obviously no truck at all. I would love to see what Genesis would do with a smaller car ala Lexus CT or Audi A3.

Hyundai got a lucky break back in 2008 where they were very well positioned with their fleet of quite cheap vehicles and a very good warranty. That's what made them what they are today.

However, it seems their foresight is not any different than others, otherwise they would've released a Genesis SUV long time ago. At this pace though, they may have one ready just as the gas prices start to climb.

In 2006 I believe Hyundai turned over it's leadership from father to son. The father had been caught doing nefarious business activities. Since then the son has focused on quality. There is a huge difference between 2006 and later Hyundais.

They have problems with V6 engines produced in the USA. Apparently the fully automated manufacturing wasn't too good at cleaning out the shavings and burs.

Brand is important to many luxury car owners.

I haven't even seen a Genesis, not one. All I see are Benzs, BMWs, Audis, Acura and Lexus. Benz and Audi would probably be the most popular around here, with BMW SUVs close behind. I don't see as many Acura or Lexus vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back