Fram Ultra vs. Hyundai OEM Oil Filter for Severe Service Schedule ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Thanks for the replies - no start up problems at all with the FRAM Ultra #9688 , so it's probably a "pick 'em" situation between the Fram Ultra , Fram PH , NAPA Pro Select (Korean made ) and the Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter .
I would think the Fram's and Pro Select would be as burst proof as the OEM filters ? Next , I would like to run a 5K mile OCI but with suburban driving I do and an average of 25MPH (most trips are over 15 miles one way to work though ) - over the course of a severe service OCI my oil is pretty dark by 3K miles and smells of fuel dilution ... I should pull a sample for Blackstone to see at 3,750 miles for better knowledge .

Use another lab other than Blackstone if you want to know about fuel dilution. Their numbers aren't accurate, they are "interpreted". I have compared samples of theirs to 2 other labs on the same OCI. They were showing fuel in the oil the other 2 labs were not because they actually tested for it. I did this because I wanted to know the accuracy of the lab I was going to use on a continual basis.

Steve can you show us a comparative look at what those results were? Thanks

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Thanks for the replies - no start up problems at all with the FRAM Ultra #9688 , so it's probably a "pick 'em" situation between the Fram Ultra , Fram PH , NAPA Pro Select (Korean made ) and the Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter .
I would think the Fram's and Pro Select would be as burst proof as the OEM filters ? Next , I would like to run a 5K mile OCI but with suburban driving I do and an average of 25MPH (most trips are over 15 miles one way to work though ) - over the course of a severe service OCI my oil is pretty dark by 3K miles and smells of fuel dilution ... I should pull a sample for Blackstone to see at 3,750 miles for better knowledge .

Use another lab other than Blackstone if you want to know about fuel dilution. Their numbers aren't accurate, they are "interpreted". I have compared samples of theirs to 2 other labs on the same OCI. They were showing fuel in the oil the other 2 labs were not because they actually tested for it. I did this because I wanted to know the accuracy of the lab I was going to use on a continual basis.

Steve can you show us a comparative look at what those results were? Thanks

*Not to get off topic - suggested labs for accurate fuel dilution test ?

Using the sever schedule, just order a 6 pack of Hyundai filters off eBay or Amazon. You can usually find them for around $25-$30 with free shipping and they also include new drain plug washers.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Using the sever schedule, just order a 6 pack of Hyundai filters off eBay or Amazon. You can usually find them for around $25-$30 with free shipping and they also include new drain plug washers.

L8R,
Matt

This, the OEM Hyundai filters are stout.

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan

L8R,
Matt

You can get 6 pack of Fram FPS (same as Ultra) for $6 a piece from ebay, I've posted on it earlier.
Ultra is superior to OEM. For $6 I'm cool changing the filter every OCI, no problems at all.
Plug washers are also available like $5 for 10pack on ebay

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jim302
....check your local NAPA to see if they have the Korean-made ProSelect filters for this application which aren't exactly like the OE but seem to be darn close and made in the same factory..... you can get basically the same thing for around $3 depending on prices at your local store.

Interesting - - that's a novel idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back