Fram Ultra vs. Hyundai OEM Oil Filter for Severe Service Schedule ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I currently use a Fram Ultra #9688 oil filter in my 2017 Sonata , I am considering to switch to Hyunda / Kia OEM #26300 - 35504 oil filters mainly due to the fact I am running a severe service schedule plus about $4 cheaper with the OEM filter ... Any reason why I should stay with the Fram Ultra for less than 4,000 mile OCI ?

Many posts, also a TSB regarding Hyundais being sensitive to oil flow. Not sure if its the same for your year or Kia. So I would use the OEM Hyundai filter on both.

I switched from Fram Ultra to OEM on my 2017 Elantra. The OEM is well built and you won't have any issues running the OEM filter for 3,750 miles. I certainly haven't.

I had lifter noise on my Santa Fe not using the OEM filter until I used the Amsoil EAO filter which has similar media to the Fram Ultra. In your case because you are severe duty and want to change it more often I would use the OEM filter.

I like the Fram Ultra, but it seems like a waste to use one for only 3,750 miles. So between the two I would go with the OE filter. Or, check your local NAPA to see if they have the Korean-made ProSelect filters for this application which aren't exactly like the OE but seem to be darn close and made in the same factory. Mann+Hummel own Wix and make the OE filter. So you can get basically the same thing for around $3 depending on prices at your local store. Of course the old ProSelect design would be just fine too, especially for a short interval.

I also posed an orange can with 7,500 miles out of a GDI Kia which also held up perfectly fine... but is probably priced about the same as OE from the dealer. I think any quality filter will be fine. Capacity and ADBV material aren't going to be an issue on a short interval so really all I would ask of the filter is for the media to not tear.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
While I currently use a Fram Ultra #9688 oil filter in my 2017 Sonata , I am considering to switch to Hyunda / Kia OEM #26300 - 35504 oil filters mainly due to the fact I am running a severe service schedule plus about $4 cheaper with the OEM filter ... Any reason why I should stay with the Fram Ultra for less than 4,000 mile OCI ?

I ran Purolator Boss and OEM filters (including the "new" version) for many years before my research lead me to conclude that the Fram Ultra XG9688 is the better filter. I too run the severe service schedule on my Optima SX (Turbo) with an OCI at ~4K miles. The only real knock against the OEM filter is the unknown filtering ability (nothing is published). I've cut it apart and it seems very well made (now by Mann). The cost difference is irrelevant at only $3 (Wally world prices at $9/each). Just buy the best filter for the job.

To each his own.

Last edited:
On a car still under a lot of factory warranty like that, don't give the dealer an excuse to question the filter. Not whether it is right or wrong endless discussions, just avoids the question entirely at the service desk. Besides, Hyundai specs their OE filter and that is what most OE consider enough information. Since they manufactured the engine they spec all the parts that went in it..

For such a short interval, I would use OEM.
Unless your keeping that Ultra on for at least 3 oil change intervals (theoretically up to 5 per the 20,000 mile listed for the Ultra), it is a waste of money.

I would also look at the ST9688 at Walmart. They are Champ made, and I believe are metal center tube with dome end bypass.
These "new" Champ made ones are actually the correct size compared to the old Wix made ones (which were smaller).
Or even the Fram PH9688. It is made specifically for Hyundai/Kia engines, has better filtration than OEM, and now has a silicone ADV. If you had no issues with the XG, the PH should work just fine.

The Hyundai filter TSB (05-20-002) was initially for the BETA/BETA II motors (2.0 4 cylinder) and came out in '05.
It was regarding (primarily) startup noise in these engines (not any proven actual damage). The fix was to use an OEM filter, and that usually worked.
LINK.
After this TSB came out was when Fram came out with the 9688 filter specifically for Kia/Hyundai motors. Prior to that, it was a shared part number with Honda motors.

In 2012, there was a new TSB (12-EM-006) that supercedes the old one, but states the same basic problem.
LINK
Kia Released a similar TSB, which also includes incorrect oil viscosity info (LINK

Neither of these say anything about OEM being required to be used. Just that if there is some engine knocking and there is a non-OEM filter to swap to an OEM filter.

I have also found some TSB from filter manufactures from the 2016 time frame regarding burst pressure of filters. Some say that their current recomended filters should no longer be used on Hyudai/Kia vehicles ({URL=https://www.motor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MOTOR_Specifications_Info_Bulletin_20160209.pdf]HERE[/url] and HERE), but other say their filters are fine (HERE). I can't find any specific Hyundai/Kia stuff for this issue though?

So the whole Hyundai/Kia filter TSB always gets blown out of proportion, basically if you have engine noise and an aftermarket filter, change the filter to OEM (and use correct oil viscosity).
If you still have engine noise, then bring it in to the dealer.

This is definitely a revisited question on here and if you inject a 3750 mile OCI schedule it's likely closer to personal preference than something that really matters. Although the OEM filter seems to be closer to the typical Toyota / Honda OEM filter in characteristics, there's not too much cost difference where I live if you buy it from the dealer vs. an Ultra at WalMart.

The delta between the two filters is about $3.00 in my location unless I buy them in bulk online. If I'm replacing them close to twice as often, it probably still favors the Ultra in my mind unless I'm doing 30K miles/year. I've used both interchangeably over the last six years and you can make the case that I should be more concerned about the gas I buy and the air filter I use than which oil filter I use if I keep to a 5K mile OCI schedule.

See the thread on the NAPA ProSelect. Only $3.49 - good flow and silicone ADBV.

As other have said, none at all. And keep in mind 4,000 miles is not asking much of the filter. Heck, with Honda's filter every other oil change routine, they could be on for 20,000 miles or more.

You may be able to score the Ultra for a better price on Amazon. I just bought several of them from there, as they were roughly $6.75/each CDN, which is a smoking deal.

Originally Posted by Audios
Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash40
I'd stick with synthetic 5w30, an OEM filter and 5k interval.

Seconded

Thirded

Let me add my 5 cents here.
I've bought my 17 Sportage back in Aug 2016 and today it's pushing 30k miles.
Over 2.5 years I was religiously using OEM filter and 5w20 syn (Pennzoil/Castrol mostly)
Yet, I had this weird problem. The car was hesitating to start, independently of the time of a day or if it's cold or hot.
Sometimes once in 2 weeks, sometimes twice every week.
It was really struggling like there was no gas or smth, I'm not sure.
Dealer said they see no error codes, so "come back when it breaks" kind of reply.
This year I've switched to PUP 5w30 + OEM filter, but still was getting this problem.
This last OCI I used PP 5w30 and Fram Ultra, and surprise - issue is gone (at least for now)
Going to watch it till the next oil change and switch to OEM just to see if it'll come back.
Super weird, not sure if anyone else has it

For a 4k OCI, no reason to waste your money on an Ultra. Stick to the OEM filter, or go to Napa. Recent Gold and Proselects for this application look a lot like the OE Hyundai/Kia filter, and Napa also carries the actual OE filter Mann W811/80 and a Full brand filter that is similar to OE.

*Thanks for the replies - no start up problems at all with the FRAM Ultra #9688 , so it's probably a "pick 'em" situation between the Fram Ultra , Fram PH , NAPA Pro Select (Korean made ) and the Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter .
I would think the Fram's and Pro Select would be as burst proof as the OEM filters ? Next , I would like to run a 5K mile OCI but with suburban driving I do and an average of 25MPH (most trips are over 15 miles one way to work though ) - over the course of a severe service OCI my oil is pretty dark by 3K miles and smells of fuel dilution ... I should pull a sample for Blackstone to see at 3,750 miles for better knowledge .

It doesn't take much fuel to smell it so I always wonder how some people on here seem to attribute any fuel smell in the oil to the car "diluting like crazy". No doubt a few UOAs would be a good idea as I'd think it would be worth being surprised in a good or bad way.

*Thanks for the replies - no start up problems at all with the FRAM Ultra #9688 , so it's probably a "pick 'em" situation between the Fram Ultra , Fram PH , NAPA Pro Select (Korean made ) and the Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter .
I would think the Fram's and Pro Select would be as burst proof as the OEM filters ? Next , I would like to run a 5K mile OCI but with suburban driving I do and an average of 25MPH (most trips are over 15 miles one way to work though ) - over the course of a severe service OCI my oil is pretty dark by 3K miles and smells of fuel dilution ... I should pull a sample for Blackstone to see at 3,750 miles for better knowledge .

Use another lab other than Blackstone if you want to know about fuel dilution. Their numbers aren't accurate, they are "interpreted". I have compared samples of theirs to 2 other labs on the same OCI. They were showing fuel in the oil the other 2 labs were not because they actually tested for it. I did this because I wanted to know the accuracy of the lab I was going to use on a continual basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back