Subaru cvt maintenance

After some perusing of data this afternoon and evening, I feel like a dedicated LV fluid such as a Nissan NS-3 variant would fit the bill for your CVT; NS-3 is dyed blue. I may give it a shot in my TR690 somewhere in the future, right now it has red CVT fluid when the used tranny was installed by a transmission shop 18k Kms. ago back in 2021.
Came back to fix a couple of errors here too; sorry for the confusion.

I'm pretty hesitant on using non OEM ATF/CVT fluids.
Believe or not that's a reasonable approach on some borderline models.

I know for a fact Amsoil CVT works great in Honda applications.

It's interesting Amsoil tested it in the death prone Nissan CVT. I would certainly be OK AFTER the warranty - but who knows what kind of "battle" would go on. Amsoil knows the CVT has design issues, Nissan in defense mode would say a "non Nissan" fluid was used, but the fluid exceeds all NIssan requirements, in fact much better at wear. BITOG answer would be be to put up with wear with their lousy fluid.

Believe or not that's a reasonable approach on some borderline models.

I know for a fact Amsoil CVT works great in Honda applications.

It's interesting Amsoil tested it in the death prone Nissan CVT. I would certainly be OK AFTER the warranty - but who knows what kind of "battle" would go on. Amsoil knows the CVT has design issues, Nissan in defense mode would say a "non Nissan" fluid was used, but the fluid exceeds all NIssan requirements, in fact much better at wear. BITOG answer would be be to put up with wear with their lousy fluid.
I love that Amsoil gives you this information:

1712337090370.jpg

I got a reply from David Canitz, with HPL, regarding HPL CVT fluid suitability. This is what he said:

"Ok - here’s what we have.

The HPL CVT Fluid is a synthetic fluid with performance additives formulated to work in a multi-vehicle format, including CVT Chain and CVT push belt applications.
It is suitable for use, i.e. recommended for, these applications in Audi, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, and other manufacturer’s utilizing the chain or push belt configuration CVT’s.

Interestingly - Subaru has not released any publicly available specifications to test against so we can not claim meets/ exceeds this OEM.

I would recommend the HPL CVT in a non warranty application for Subaru."

For me, it comes down to how much confidence we each have in HPL. I think I will be ordering some, to use in the next CVT fluid change for my wife's Outback.

I found that Mahle makes a pre formed filter gasket instead of using RTV sealant
What is that exactly? AFAIK:You have to split the case to change the "filter" screen?
Who is doing that. Drain and fill. if you think its "full of debris" drain and fill it earlier?

I’m not talking about the internal small screen filter but the one that is inside the cvt transmission pan.Mahle sells a cvt oil pan gasket instead of using etc sealant.

What for? Subaru says the CVT fluid is a lifetime fill, so why does the filter need to be easily accessible? ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love to replace filters, whatever type they are, as part of my car maintenance. But so far I haven't seen anything to show that replacing the filter in the Subaru CVT is needed.

From what I have learned, from my own experience and the experiences shared by others, early fluid changes are important for the longevity of a CVT. But I haven't seen anything to show that Subaru CVT's fail, even after fluid changes, if the filter is not changed, and that they do not fail if both are changed.
I would think that a filter with at least 50k on it would need to be changed.

How do you know the amount in there now is correct? You can probably estimate the temperature by touching the pan. If it's it obviously cool to the touch, it's not warm enough. If if it's pleasantly warm. it's about right. If you can't keep your hand on it more than a few seconds, its too hot.
Leave the fluid and vehicle in same garage overnight. Next day, drain the old fluid, precisely measure what drained. Then fill with the new fluid of same qty, No? The Fluid is thin, drains freely cold.

On my '14 Nissan JATCO. CVT with an engine bay dipstick, it was amazing to see the fluid go from barely touching the bottom of the stick check cold, the rising to a 1/2 inch over FULL at the end of a robust 45 min commute.

I changed mine early on, as I saw "mud" on the dipstick tip when checking after about 7K miles in service. Didnt get around to it till about 12K. Never had an issue in almost 70K miles and that was with me beating the thing to an inch of its life - shifting L to D and hitting the O.D lock button OFF and ON (simulated 1st, 2nd and TOP gears) Then often coasting down steep hills - which was prohibited in the O.M.

Good luck on the service, many dealers want a ransom to drain and fill these.
Selling Subaru dealer at the time refused to service my Wifes 2017 Crosstrek at 60K miles.
- Arco

Leave the fluid and vehicle in same garage overnight. Next day, drain the old fluid, precisely measure what drained. Then fill with the new fluid of same qty, No?
You can fill with the new fluid of same qty, but if the last time it was changed they only put in 2 quarts below full or 2 quarts have leaked out, you're just putting back the same wrong amount.

Back