The New Tokyo Roki Subaru filter

What is the country of origin for this filter?

Malaysia Tokyo Roki opened a new plant there and is opening one in Mexico

1696542380978.jpg

sub filt.jpg

To preface this question. I was never a fan of the old blue Subaru oil filter part number 12508AA15A. Most likely made by Fram and very cheap to boot as well. So I switched to WIX-XP probably a good filter in lieu of the blue can of death. Now that Subaru of America is using the new Tokyo Roki filter part number 12508AA20A. My question is this does anyone know what the efficiency rating is for the filter media and is it a cellulose or synthetic blend media? Thanks for the info in advance. Also I am not interested in any other brands of oil filters. Not fram, k&N, mobil 1, etc…
I wish I would've know how bad the old blue OEM filters were before putting over 175,000 miles on them in my modified FXT.

I suspect it's more about which supplier will give Subrau the best price.
Whoever Subaru has contracted to build OEM Subaru oil filters throughout the years, I'd sure think that Subaru engineers and QA are involved to ensure they meet the OEM filter requirements. Who knows what those Subaru OEM filter requirement are, but again they have to be defined by Subaru engineers. So do Subaru owner's trust Subaru engineers or not? If not, do they trust keyboard and YouTube "engineers" more. 😄

Last edited:
As we’ve discussed in multiple threads with @ZeeOSix the Subaru engine family has excessive volume compared to other engines (12+ gpm @ 5k RPM!) and IMO this is what justifies two main points when choosing a filter: use the largest filter that will safely fit to increase media area and reduce dP; and synthetic and/or wire-backed media is simply a safe bet to improve durability to deal with the massive flow rates.

Can you use a paper filter without issues? Probably. But if one is truly concerned about the integrity of the filter in this demanding application, IMO an XG3593A or FE7317 is always going to be the safest bet. 👍🏻
Just a general note:
The pump may have a high volume capability, but it will flow whatever volume the engine restrictions and oil viscosity will allow at the pump max pressure bypass setting. Should be similar to any other engine with regulated max pump pressure around the pump - which is most all. I don't have the shop manual in front of me, but I might guess 90psi in the HP turbo application and 60-70 psi in the NA EJ. Engines with AVCS implementation will require a somewhat higher oil volume. I do not recall the EJ 255 or 257 employing piston oil squirters.

Back