Stupid question about oil

I was trying to spice it up a little. It has been quiet around here lately. I won't tell you what is in the WS6 right now. Ok I will. 2 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30, 2 quarts of Castrol Edge 10W-30 and 2 Quarts of Quaker State conventional 10W-30. The Quaker state was left over from the kids old 97 Silverado. That combination was what I had laying around after I changed out the stuck open injector.
Yup I'm sure your WS6 wont know the difference.

I have a catch all 5 qt container where all the partial qts or partial 5qt containers are emptied into (20,30,40 and 50 grades with all sorts of W ratings 0,5,10,15,20). When the 5qt is full I use it for an OCI, out of precaution I only use in spring, summer and fall since I don't know what the final winter rating will be.

Clean oil is better than dirty oil or no oil.

I was trying to spice it up a little. It has been quiet around here lately. I won't tell you what is in the WS6 right now. Ok I will. 2 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30, 2 quarts of Castrol Edge 10W-30 and 2 Quarts of Quaker State conventional 10W-30. The Quaker state was left over from the kids old 97 Silverado. That combination was what I had laying around after I changed out the stuck open injector.
Bravo! Frankebrew for the win!

Now I know where I will drop off a pile of oddball, but very high quality oil when I move from Washington next spring.....

Oh the humanity!

I did the very same thing once but on a different vehicle. Nothing untoward happened for two days then unexpectedly all the dairy products in my fridge went sour, my credit cards demagnetized and my dog got sick. Correlation or causation? I dunno.

We'll wait and see if it happens to you before I confirm my hypothesis.

I would do it. I've mixed 1qt. of Pennzoil 10w-40 dino with 4qts. of Delo 15w-40 in the Legend. The only reasons I do this:
  1. I don't want to be tripping over partially filled jugs of oil.
  2. At WM, single quarts of Delo are insanely expensive at $6/qt.
  3. Single quarts of Delo are a rare find at WM.
  4. Most of what's in the engine is going to leak out eventually.
  5. There is a real possibility the engine will grenade before the Franken-oil has any effect.

So the Caprice has an 8 quart sump.
I have 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.
I don't want to open the other 5 quart container I have that is for the Malibu...
Who among the fine folks at BITOG would throw a quart of Castrol 10W-30 conventional in there?

I think I am going to do it.
What goes in the sump goes through the pump.

In hindsight...
I know the Caprice holds 8 quarts but I am curious where the oil level shows on the dipstick when you add 7 quarts. Might be just fine.

So the Caprice has an 8 quart sump.
I have 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.
I don't want to open the other 5 quart container I have that is for the Malibu...
Who among the fine folks at BITOG would throw a quart of Castrol 10W-30 conventional in there?

I think I am going to do it.

I would.
Be your own custom blender of oil.

Back