Strongest ceramic pads for performance?

From the rears?
Yes noise on the rears. Decades ago people on the forum were banging their heads against the wall, said it was embarrassing and made our cars feel cheap, rolling up to a stop with the squeak squeak squeak. I've proven on my own, new pads, new rotors, sound gone. Comes back in 20k or so.

Yes noise on the rears. Decades ago people on the forum were banging their heads against the wall, said it was embarrassing and made our cars feel cheap, rolling up to a stop with the squeak squeak squeak. I've proven on my own, new pads, new rotors, sound gone. Comes back in 20k or so.
Hmm, I have not had those issues. Using ATE, Jurid or Textar.

2011 328 stick. On E90, compounds are the same regardless of model (unlike F30). Only issue that I know of is that some cars develop clunking noise in rear calipers going in reverse.
I'm 100% sure with new pads and rotors, sound will be gone for 20k. But, that's too expensive. Who knows, maybe FCP replaces, dunno. Didn't try.

Performance pads on a car you share with your parents, eh?
It's a 2015 Accord EX, it's only temporary until my Nissan is back from the dealer.

I'm prioritizing stopping power over quiet/smoothness, but my parents will get irritated over the squealing and brake dust so I gotta find a compromise.

Dust is a subjective standard. For me, the ebc redstuff pads product minimal dust, are very easy on the rotors, and provide a substantial improvement over the OEM type pads (and a noticeable improvement the most premium Raybestos pads too).

Have used the ebc’s on many different models: Jaguar XKR’s, e types, vintage Shelby’s, etc.

Z

Accord EX? Am I missing something as far as an Akebono ProAct or any brand that competes with this line, in being more than sufficient? It's not even a performance car. Usually a premium ceramic pad is the best of all worlds on a car with the Accord's capabilities.

It's a 2015 Accord EX, it's only temporary until my Nissan is back from the dealer.

I'm prioritizing stopping power over quiet/smoothness, but my parents will get irritated over the squealing and brake dust so I gotta find a compromise.

In that case, the Akebono Performance pads are what you are looking for :)

Just buy the pads from Honda.

I put a set of akebono pads and raybestos advanced technology (slotted) rotors on our old Gen 1 MDX and it was a fabulous combination - it felt like you could brake so strongly as to stand it on its front bumper with little effort, yet the modulation was buttery and linear. No hesitation to put akebonos on a honda.

My dad put some akebonos and slotted rotors on his Jetta, long ago. Over 100,000 miles later and the rotors have a lip. The pads still look brand new. He has new rotors to put on the car but he's just gonna keep using the immortal akebonos

Edit: he says 250,000 miles ago

Last edited:
I have that found Powerstop Z23 brake pads check all my boxes. They provide the dust free, quiet braking expected from carbon-fiber ceramic brake pads. But at the same time, they seem to give me pretty good braking. If you believe the sales pitch on the Powerstop website, the carbon-fiber gives the Z23 pads better stopping power than regular ceramic pads.

My dad put some akebonos and slotted rotors on his Jetta, long ago. Over 100,000 miles later and the rotors have a lip. The pads still look brand new. He has new rotors to put on the car but he's just gonna keep using the immortal akebonos

Edit: he says 250,000 miles ago

The flip side is that it’s generally cheaper and less time consuming to replace the pads and expect the rotors to have much less wear vs. the pads.

If “Performance” in the threads title means reduced stopping distance, then you will have a better friction coefficient and reduced stopping distances with pads that wear before the rotors.

To wit, I’m on my second set of ebc redstuff pads and the rotors look, feel, and measure as new. The pads get replaced when the friction material is down to 2.5-3 mm.

The car, an ‘02 Jaguar XKR, is relatively heavy for a small coupe so the brakes do get a workout as it’s a daily driver with about 50/50 city / highway use.

Z

Back