Straight 30

I bought by mistake straight weight 30 Ace hardware oil can I use it in a Honda lawnmower engine that calls for 10/30. Engine about 14 years old uses no oil.
What is it rated? is it HD or ND? if ND then NO. Could also be API SAE 30 with current API S -service category then that is O.K. also,

I would not run something without certs or approvals on the back label regardless of ad text, I know ACE sell some of this stuff.

- ARCO

What is it rated? is it HD or ND? if ND then NO. Could also be API SAE 30 with current API S -service category then that is O.K. also,

I would not run something without certs or approvals on the back label regardless of ad text, I know ACE sell some of this stuff.

- ARCO
I have some ST SAE30 that is SP …

- ARCO
I have to look at the rating it's new stock so probably up to current standard

Don't assume it's even for internal combustion engines. As Arcographite said, if it's not API rated then don't use it. There is a slew of ND30 oils out there that look like motor oil but they're for vacuum pumps and other devices that don't require a detergent or anti-wear package.

HD30 - YES/JA/DA
ND30 - NO/Nein/Net

If the bottle looks like this and it is number 8706723 then DO NOT use it:

1711807772630.jpg

Is it ACE labeled lawnmower oil or a major brand?

I haven't looked for ND stuff (used ND as a top oil in the gas tank in the past - wanted ND to prevent cat and plug fouling)

It used to be on the shelf with the detergent oils - Brands like Coastal and Mag1 and Supertech. likey caused some engine problems for the uninitiated.

Again do NOT use ND unless it's for a pressure washer requiring ND hydraulic oil in the pump compresor section ONLY.

Don't assume it's even for internal combustion engines. As Arcographite said, if it's not API rated then don't use it. There is a slew of ND30 oils out there that look like motor oil but they're for vacuum pumps and other devices that don't require a detergent or anti-wear package.

HD30 - YES/JA/DA
ND30 - NO/Nein/Net

If the bottle looks like this and it is number 8706723 then DO NOT use it:

View attachment 211151

Wally World does the same thing and puts this:

Right next to this:

Back