STP S6607 Cut Open - New

Had this filter laying around in the garage for about a year, used to be for my neighbor's Nissan when I used to help do oil changes in exchanges of favor, such as getting a free haircut. Its been a year since I moved. I just got my oil filter cutter today and decided this is the first thing to test it against which worked well, a clean cut and no mess.

Some notes: Gasket and Anti-drainback valve are nitrile rubber (has a rubbery smell to it but also soft to touch). Media looks like classic cellulose blend, very tough to tear by hand, feels like hard cardboard like surface. Glue is some sort of cream colored plastisol, also very hard on the durometer feeling, you can slightly deform it pushing it hard in with a screwdriver or pin. The whole filter element endcap to endcap length is 2 inches.

Overall not a bad filter that's made in China. Looks good for a 5K mile run.

20231017_210654.jpg

20231017_210705.jpg

20231017_211051.jpg

20231017_211338.jpg

20231017_211347.jpg

20231017_211405.jpg

I thought Premium Guard brand filters were now made in Vietnam. Perhaps just the XL? Either way looks like Premium Guard, Prime Guard type filter. Assuming it had a coil type compression spring? Looks decent, I've seen much worse on the glue/potting, typical China coo cream color.

Next time I'm in AZ, need to check to see if all blue can STP same as topic. AZ 6607 pic showing Champ Labs made. Here XL are Champ Labs made for a while, similar to Super Tech. For same price as topic, can get Super Tech MP series with silicone adbv.

Thanks for c&p.

I thought Premium Guard brand filters were now made in Vietnam. Perhaps just the XL? Either way looks like Premium Guard, Prime Guard type filter. Assuming it had a coil type compression spring? Looks decent, I've seen much worse on the glue/potting, typical China coo cream color.

Premium Guard contracts out to a few different mfg's.. Most from China and Vietnam and the only thing that seems to be an indicator of which location it will come from is if it is a premium filter or standard , with the premium versions mostly coming from Vietnam fwir.

Speaking of MAZDA . MAZDA oil filter cut open , looks similar to TOYOTA oil filters . Both made in Thailand . Bonus is TOYOTA oil filter off a '22 FORD Maverick .

Last edited:
Speaking of MAZDA . MAZDA oil filter cut open , looks similar to TOYOTA oil filters . Both made in Thailand . Bonus is TOYOTA oil filter off a '22 FORD Maverick .

Now THAT (the top one) is what an excessively dirty, possibly left on too long filter looks like! LOTS of junk in the can, on the pleats, everywhere!

I have been a big fan of the Premium Guard filters, especially the XLs for a while now. Quality construction and most importantly for me a silicone gasket. Prevents blowouts in winter with 5W50/10W50 oil. Ever since the old style Ford Racing FL820 with the blue silicone gasket was replaced with one that looks like a normal FL820, they have been the only option.

Next time I'm in AZ, need to check to see if all blue can STP same as topic. AZ 6607 pic showing Champ Labs made. Here XL are Champ Labs made for a while, similar to Super Tech. For same price as topic, can get Super Tech MP series with silicone adbv.

Thanks for c&p.
The Premium Guard I just put on my 2022 Mazda CX-5 STP (S6607XL) said right on the box Made in China!

Last edited:
The Premium Guard I just put on my 2022 Mazda CX-5 STP (S6607XL) said right on the box Made in China!
Ok, interesting. The O'R Microgard Select which general opinion has as a Premium Guard filter is Made in Vietnam.

Fwiw, at AZ locally S6607XL is made in the US by Champ Labs. Equivalent to the SuperTech MP series.

Ok, interesting. The O'R Microgard Select which general opinion has as a Premium Guard filter is Made in Vietnam.

Fwiw, at AZ locally S6607XL is made in the US by Champ Labs. Equivalent to the SuperTech MP series.

You can always look on the back of the box..

If it has this number for "tech hotline" then it is a Premium Guard: 866-606-4035

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Had this filter laying around in the garage for about a year, used to be for my neighbor's Nissan when I used to help do oil changes in exchanges of favor, such as getting a free haircut. Its been a year since I moved. I just got my oil filter cutter today and decided this is the first thing to test it against which worked well, a clean cut and no mess.

Some notes: Gasket and Anti-drainback valve are nitrile rubber (has a rubbery smell to it but also soft to touch). Media looks like classic cellulose blend, very tough to tear by hand, feels like hard cardboard like surface. Glue is some sort of cream colored plastisol, also very hard on the durometer feeling, you can slightly deform it pushing it hard in with a screwdriver or pin. The whole filter element endcap to endcap length is 2 inches.

Overall not a bad filter that's made in China. Looks good for a 5K mile run.

View attachment 184012

View attachment 184017

View attachment 184016

View attachment 184015

View attachment 184014

View attachment 184013
Looks well made nice and clean construction. What brand cutter and where did you purchase it? I’m currently looking for one. Thanks for sharing

Back