Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hear what you think.

SDC11148.jpg

SDC11147.jpg

SDC11151.jpg

SDC11154.jpg

SDC11149.jpg

Can't expect much for the price. Their cartridge filters (at least the VW 2.5 filter) has made in Germany on the top and feels pretty solid.

My experience with ST3614 E-core was not good, which looks similar to the S2870A. The leaf spring and the ADBV aren't glued to the cage. They were mean to fit snug. Unfiltered oil can still seep by. And the ADBV is stiff and very thin.

I see your oil test kit on the bench so I'm guessing you want to run higher mileage OCI's. I wouldn't do that with this filter. I'd feel ok about using it for a 3k OCI but you can do a lot better for just a little more cash.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are the caps (felt in this case) what keeps the dirty oil from getting into the engine?
No it is the pleated parts that filter the oil
33.gif

I am using an ST filter now.The filter above looks good as far as construction but I am still not very happy with the way the ends are made.
32.gif
Many put Fram down for the cardboard end caps when the elements of most filters are made of paper.If paper can take the oil why cant cardboard? I havent used a Fram in years but I used to use them most of the time and never had a known problem.We hear over and over that Fram is bad but is this more of a 'bashing' problem by some here or are there real reasons that they are bad.Some say that construction isnt the best for the price and that there is less element in Frams.Does less element really mean anything? Maybe,maybe not.It depends on what the element is made of.Fram uses a synthetic glass blend,this blend may be as good as another filter that uses more element but an element that is made of paper.Some say that the seal between the cardboard and ADBV causes leaks there.Has this been proven on an engine that is running or are these just opinions based on taking a Fram apart? I am not saying that Fram is the best but are they really any worse than the others? If you consider the huge number of Frams that are used every year and the number of failures they have,is their number of failures any worse than that of others? Probably not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Typical Champ Labs E-core. That looks like felt on the ends. Better than paper...

+1

At least is has a lot of pleats and they are tightly packed. If not that way, that open center cage is just begging for a media blow-out. I'd rather use a Purolator Classic for $3.50.

I run OEM filters. I picked up the oil change special at the 'Zone so I figured what better to do then share it with you guys.

Originally Posted By: robshelton
I see your oil test kit on the bench so I'm guessing you want to run higher mileage OCI's. I wouldn't do that with this filter. I'd feel ok about using it for a 3k OCI but you can do a lot better for just a little more cash.

Originally Posted By: cryption

They belong in the garbage,use a real filter,WIX,NG,CQR,PC,P1,etc....

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: cryption

They belong in the garbage,use a real filter,WIX,NG,CQR,PC,P1,etc....

Motorcraft (Purolator) belongs in that list.

The STP cartridge filter for the 2.5 5-cyl and 2.0T VW motors is really solid though. It's champ labs, of course, and has "Made In Germany" printed right on the top. It compares to the OEM filter, made by champ labs as well.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I am using an ST filter now.The filter above looks good as far as construction but I am still not very happy with the way the ends are made.
32.gif
Many put Fram down for the cardboard end caps when the elements of most filters are made of paper.If paper can take the oil why cant cardboard? I havent used a Fram in years but I used to use them most of the time and never had a known problem.We hear over and over that Fram is bad but is this more of a 'bashing' problem by some here or are there real reasons that they are bad.Some say that construction isnt the best for the price and that there is less element in Frams.Does less element really mean anything? Maybe,maybe not.It depends on what the element is made of.Fram uses a synthetic glass blend,this blend may be as good as another filter that uses more element but an element that is made of paper.Some say that the seal between the cardboard and ADBV causes leaks there.Has this been proven on an engine that is running or are these just opinions based on taking a Fram apart? I am not saying that Fram is the best but are they really any worse than the others? If you consider the huge number of Frams that are used every year and the number of failures they have,is their number of failures any worse than that of others? Probably not.

I can't answer all your questions and you raise some very good points - but I can say that when I used the Fram oil filters on my 95 Ford w/ 4.0 V6 engine, I did have a problem with start up noise or rattle. It would start about 1,500 - 2,000 miles after I changed the oil. I started reading on the internet about the ADBV being poor on Fram filters.

I went out and bought a Motorcraft filter and put it on the vehicle (did not change the oil) and never had a problem with the noise again. That was several years ago and probably 75K miles or more! I've tried various other Purolator filters and never had a problem with the start up noise.

I really think SOME of the Fram bashing is unwarranted. But honestly for the quality of the base Fram filter, it SHOULD be a lot cheaper.

I think that there is a lot of Fram bashing going on here that is just that,bashing.I said in my earlier post that I havent used Fram in several years but a person really has to wonder if they are as bad as some make them out to be.I dont know that the ST's are any better than a Fram,they are constructed on the cheap side and there has been problems with them and this is from users of the board.There have been posts by people on the board that have used Frams for many years without any problems and when I used them I didnt have any problems that I know of.One car I used them on was an 84 model and the last mileage count on it was I think close to 170K and I put 80K plus on it IIRC,most of those miles I put were with Fram.I also have another car that is a 78 model that has had mostly Frams on it the best I can remember and it seems to be doing fine also.It is similar to the Pennzoil rumors that people hear about,they hear that Fram is bad and since they hear it,they are.I am not saying that Frams dont fail,I would think that all fail and it isnt known because they arent taken apart and the failure is torn media that lets unfiltered oil get through.The thing is,does Fram fail more that others? Probably not.When you adjust for the large number sold and compare them to other brands,I have a feeling that Frams failure rate is the same or very close to that of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back