STOL competitions

These competitions are relatively new to me, but after watching a few videos, I've gained a lot of respect for the guys who do it. These guys are flying on the edge of a stall, and it requires a great deal of familiarity with the aircraft, and the flying skill to be able to be competitive in this sport. Unfortunately, the nature of the sport involves great risk. This accident caught my eye as the pilot was flying the same model plane I soloed in on my 16th birthday. My Dad used to own one. Hopefully accidents like this are few and far between, as sport flying is becoming more and more scarce...

Yeah - seem like trying to push things to their limits at the extreme risk of personal safety. The thing I'm thinking is competitive free diving competitions where there have been several deaths. Trying to bypass normal safety margins would seem to be something that is inherently dangerous and I'm wondering what the FAA thinks of this.

Yeah - seem like trying to push things to their limits at the extreme risk of personal safety. The thing I'm thinking is competitive free diving competitions where there have been several deaths. Trying to bypass normal safety margins would seem to be something that is inherently dangerous and I'm wondering what the FAA thinks of this.
Fun is fun. Is it more dangerous that other types motorsports?

Some very cool flying, sure sometimes a nice head wind but those super short takeoffs and landings are very impressive.

There is danger in most any kind of high performance flying or racing. But some things I just don't understand in airshow maneuvers. Like the deaths of Brian Jensen and Steve O'Berg.

Both were very accomplished pilots that flew high performance aerobatic biplanes. And both died by failing to recover from performing the low level Lomcevak maneuver. Jensen died in August of 2011, and O'Berg died in June of 2015, 4 years later.

As far as I know that maneuver has yet to be banned at airshows. It seems foolish to even attempt it, when 2 of the best pilots in the business, both flying well maintained aircraft, were killed doing it.

There are plenty of exciting maneuvers pilots can performing at low levels that are far less dangerous. And can fire up the crowd without all that risk.

Back