Sticking with one oil brand for life of vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that you have brought this up Wemay. I have been thinking about running Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 only in my Altima. I can find it regularly at AAP or O Reilly's. I don't mind Wally World but I would rather not have to walk around that place if I don't have to. Some days I just don't have it in me to work all that far. Other days I can do it with no problems. But if I can go to O Reilly's or AAP it makes it nice to be able to be in a MUCH smaller store. I like having a smaller place to go to. Mobil Super Synthetic runs rather good in my car. Havoline Pro DS disappearing has had me wanting to find it's replacement. I certainly liked Valvoline as well. For the lady's Camry it will stay on Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic and Rislone for the rest of it's time with me. That combo runs very, very quiet and even better than Motorcraft. Which that's impressive because Motorcraft ran a fair amount quieter than Havoline and PYB before in it. So that is settled on the Camry. The Altima may well stay on MSS. However, it may see Valvoline Synpower be or VWB as well.

If you have a oil that runs quiet why change? Sales happen on all brands. It’s a matter of timing, that’s all.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why? Whats your reasoning?

My reasoning is you shouldn't quit using 5W-30 just because you found a case of 5W-20 in the attic.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Back in 2010 you were using Renewable Lubricants (RLI?) and I remember you bought enough jugs of Valvoline White Bottle to service a fleet of taxis for years. What made you switch back to Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As long as it fits your engine needs then it's fine. A UOA should be the determining factor.

That said I'm partial to Amsoil for the great miles I have driven with superb UOA's and engine longevity I have experienced first hand so I use it as my first oil of choice.

If some other oil did a better job for a comparable or better cost I would have no objections to switching. :))

If the RLI was available here for the same price I would have stuck with it because it was by far the best oil I have ever used.

cheers3.gif

Crazy memory you have there... I had even forgotten about my Valvoline Conventional stash.
shocked.gif

RLI got too expensive compared to Amsoil and the Valvoline I used in other vehicles for the family after I saw the UOA results I was getting from the Amsoil post RLI.

If I could get the RLI at the same or slightly higher cost than Amsoil I would have kept using it because it was superior in its performance. The one UOA I had done through Terry showed alomst 0's across the board with 3ppm IRON after 10K KM's (6K miles). I couldn't go longer because the 2.7L V6 in the Santa Fe was rough on all oils. The TBN would drop and TAN and Nitration would be high after that short of miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why? Whats your reasoning?

My reasoning is you shouldn't quit using 5W-30 just because you found a case of 5W-20 in the attic.
grin2.gif

If the manufacturer allows for both, you can choose between them to your life's content. Stop
Trolling.gif
Merk'.
grin2.gif

I admire people who find something they like and stick with it. It seems ..............wholesome, some how.

SynPower is a good oil, it would be on my short list. That or Magnatec.

Anyway most 5w 30 API PCMO, after about 4k or 6k miles will turn into a 5w 20 . I use a Mechanical PSI gauge to monitor such oils most loose pressure by then , moral of Story for me I choose an oil that's not going to shear like an API oil . ACEA anybody

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They tend to change formulations every few years, so using the same oil isn't really possible.

I'm impressed. Excellent point!

I think changing brands every so often helps clean up anything
missed by the other oil.
I have many different oils in my garage.
Ultra
Smittys
Peak
Maxlife
Nexgen

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They tend to change formulations every few years, so using the same oil isn't really possible.

I'm impressed. Excellent point!

True, and if I don't like the changes based on my findings here, I change brands.

I am of the thought that it is best to pick a good oil the meets the engines requirements and stick with it is the best option. I say this because we often hear that when switching oil the the first change or two are needed to bring oil consumption back to where it was with the original oil. That suggest that a mini re-breakin is occurring which means a different wear pattern to various parts. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am of the thought that it is best to pick a good oil the meets the engines requirements and stick with it is the best option. I say this because we often hear that when switching oil the the first change or two are needed to bring oil consumption back to where it was with the original oil. That suggest that a mini re-breakin is occurring which means a different wear pattern to various parts. JMO. Ed

Deposits being cleaned and reformed?

I am curious about the mechanism by which a brand formulation change increases consumption for an oci or two.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am of the thought that it is best to pick a good oil the meets the engines requirements and stick with it is the best option. ... Ed

I am of this mindset too. Not that I have followed it over the years. I normally buy the best priced oil with the correct API and weight and call it a day.

1. Depending on mindset of any given decade I would be thinking if one oil was lacking something then by switching oils it would limit any damaging effects. More or less, would one eat Burgerking everyday to survive or better off switching food sources.

2. Then there is the other thought that by using the same brand and API type all the time, it gives the additives time to build up in the engine, more or less, additive packages are made up of different additives, by switching oils all the time, you are washing away the additives of the previous oil. Valvoline would be a perfect example with their additive package which is a bit unique and a very good one at that.

= I would recommend to the OP to stick with the Valvoline for life. He feels good about using the product and it certainly is a solid product so why not/ it meets the API of the engine, makes him happy, certainly is going to do no harm and very well maybe a benefit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Only negative I can think has already been mentioned and that is excluding yourself from other oils when they come on sale or clearance. Personally, I buy my oil on spec and price. Brand loyalty means nothing to me nor do I feel it gains me anything other than a consistent data point.

This.

The mere fact that you are a regular reader and knowledgeable member/poster here, says to me that no matter what oil you choose to use, the engine will far outlast the other parts and pieces on your ride. Or, it will be traded/sold before any of those things occur.

However, it's your ride and you should do as you see fit and not worry if you prefer a certain brand and/or are labeled a fanboy.

The only things I have any brand loyalty to are pickles and prophylactics, not that the two are related in any way. Oh, and medication. Sometimes switching pharmacies to whoever will give you $20 that week isn't the best idea - especially when they use different drug manufacturers. Otherwise, I don't believe my car has ever experienced oil withdrawal from switching brands.

I really doubt that it would matter either way, but if it'll give you the warm and fuzzies to give this new Hyundai a strictly Synpower diet, then why not?
We have our M1 fanboys here and could use a few more Synpower devotees.

I have used nothing but M1 in all three of my current vehicles but none of them were bought new. I do plan on running Mobil 1 in my new Corvette for it's entire life but then again nothing is carved in stone so it's possible another oil might sway me. Those of you that remember me from the early days of this site will remember that I liked to try a lot of different oils, like GC 0w30, Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple (very briefly), Valvoline MaxLife. But after driving around looking for hard to find oils for a while I figured I would just stick with an oil that is easy to find, is always reasonably priced ($22.88 a jug at Walmart is pretty awesome IMO) and reformulated often enough to keep up with the times. M1 fits that bill for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back