Stick with an engine oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequency of oil change is more important. All of the major brands make a good product. Buy what's on sale and go from there, even if its SuperTech it meets the standard printed on the seal.

I am lucky to use the same oil brand more than twice in a row.

I am the same as above, for the past 10 years or so, I have used whatever is on sale/rebate/clearance. Sometimes I get 2-3 changes worth, sometimes not. Sometimes I have a bunch of odd quarts and make a frankenbrew out of it (6 different brands once).

Before I came here, I did use Valvoline exclusively, but even that was always bought on sale and with rebates. I just like Valvoline, not for any rumored benefit of using the same oil for the life of the vehicle.

My Scion has had 5 changes of TGMO ("free" changes with vehicle purchase), Pennzoil Platinum x2 (or 3?), Auto Zone Syn, and now Quaker State Syn (and next change will be the same).

My truck has had 2 changes of Havoline HM, 1 or 2 with some Valvoline Next-Gen, 1 with Castrol GTX syn blend, 1 with a frankenbrew of Pennzoil Platinum/Next-Gen (50/50), another frankenbrew of 6 different brands of oils (conventional, blend, and syn) and currently has Castrol HM. Who knows what was used in my truck for the first 120,000 miles.
Thing is, my truck goes through a qt every 1500 miles, so I add whatever for that, from "used" oil from my wifes car to Mobil 1 (sad when I use top tier oil for "top off" oil, but when you get the stuff for qt, why not).

Originally Posted By: ECUADOR4X4
Hi, i've heard that is not a good practice to change brand in oil changes, its better to stick with a brand in the long term? Since additives and detergents are differents in every brand, or its ok to change brand every once in a while as long as you put the right viscosity for your car? Thanks

All other things being equal, yes I would find one brand that works and stick with it, just for simplicity. All oils on the market today are very good oils. It's amazing the increase in oil quality over the last 15 years.

There is nothing wrong with switching brands as long as you use an oil that meets your car's requirement. I buy whatever name brand is cheapest, usually Mobil 1 during the annual rebate ($12 off per 5-quart jug) which makes it ridiculously cheap. Have used Valvoline SynPower and a few others, no issues at all. The most important thing, BY FAR, is sticking to a regular maintenance schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back