Stick with an engine oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever is on sale and meets my fancy. I still have 5 quarts of sm NAPA Synt to run through mixed with something else one of these changes.

I’ve used several brands over the years but I have usually stuck with one brand with a vehicle. As long as the brand served its purpose then it’s fine. So either way you won’t have any problems

Dave1251 says nothing to be gained.How can anyone really know. I won't be tacky like some on this site always barking out "prove it". So easy to say. Very smug and pompous. Not many of the guilty parties have ever proven anything. This wasn't at all targeted at you Dave, in fact your posts are usually pretty good.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Dave1251 says nothing to be gained.How can anyone really know. I won't be tacky like some on this site always barking out "prove it". So easy to say. Very smug and pompous. Not many of the guilty parties have ever proven anything. This wasn't at all targeted at you Dave, in fact your posts are usually pretty good.
Easy to prove. The US Military changes oil brands more frequently than some change underwear (it is all about price and contracts) and the operating conditions the equipment faces is far more severe than any of us will ever experience--yet, it keeps on trucking. Plenty of people on this site alone who choose the cheapest/most readily available oil on the market for every OC, yet no one is posting about blown engines and the like.

Thanks everyone for your answers! I think im going to switch brand in the next oil change, is Sunoco oil good reputation?

Regards,

Understand what you're saying 2015_PSD but that doesn't address the statement "nothing to be gained" by staying with the same oil brand. All your proving is it's not harmful to switch at will.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Say what? I'll never pour just one brand. That's like drinking only one beer. No such thing switch and choose anytime as long as it's got all the ratings.

+1
The only benefits I see from sticking to one brand is 1) that you can buy a lot of it when it's on sale, and 2) it makes the decision easier...no longer need to spend hours reading all of the promo material, etc. Now, HM or non-HM is the big decision...

That said, I mostly use Pennzoil because it is usually on sale somewhere and nearly always has a $2/qt rebate. Valvoline rebate is limited to a few months/yr.

One more thing. The OP asked about Sunoco. It will work just fine as long as it has the necessary ratings. Their gas works, too! I dont use sunoco oil because I only ever see it at their stations for 6-7/qt. I'm willing to spend whatever is necessary, but I don't see any reason to spend that much on a particular brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madeej11
Understand what you're saying 2015_PSD but that doesn't address the statement "nothing to be gained" by staying with the same oil brand. All your proving is it's not harmful to switch at will.
While I understand that no harm caused != nothing to be gained, I will state that you would have a difficult if not impossible task as a lay person to prove what is gained

What is gained by staying with the same brand? I would opine it is next to nil. In fact, switching oils may have a benefit of removing deposits left by the former oil due to differences in additive packs.

What say you?

I switch brands all the time in my pickup, and in other vehicles I've owned over the years, and I've had zero problems whatsoever.

I was apprehensive about changing brands in my semi truck, because I've heard other Truckers advise against doing it. I've used three different brands in my Detroit motor, and I've experienced no Ill effects.

I tried to do this with Valvoline but when others have sales, rollbacks or nice rebates, they can't be ignored.

I agree Wemay. It is hard to turn down good deals. I have to say the newest version of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic is the quietest oil I have run in my car ever. Which is saying a lot because I have run 12 different oils in my Altima 3.5. However I will likely run the Federated Auto full synthetic 5w30 for the next run in my car. I got that at $3.49 a quart. The oil from Federated Auto also ran very quiet in my Altima has well. It was too good of a deal to turn down at the time.

Last edited:
I try to stick with one brand of oil and filter, operative word "try." If I find the product has drastically changed, or there are a lot of complaints popping up [a certain brand filter comes to mind here] then I move on. Over the past 10 years, give or take I've changed a few times. I'm brand loyal to a point, as soon as the brand is no longer loyal to me, I move on, and many times never look back.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 dermarpaint. That is my philosophy. I stick with PP and will unless it is proven to not be good for my use. Ed

thumbsup2.gif

There was a poster here a while ago who posted a link to a long term fleet study and I believe the conclusion was that engines that stuck with a single brand did show less visual wear but there was no measureable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back