Staying in Brampton what to visit and do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my Canadian BITOGers
smile.gif

So I am in Brampton, planning to go and do few things this weekend. Any advice? I am a BIG fan of $0 places to visit and see. I do have a car and can drive within 2 hours one way.

Downtown is on my to do list, so as CF Fairview mall and allen gardens.

Any other suggestions or places I can go and check out? Thanks so much for the help
thumbsup2.gif

I grew up in Brampton. There's nothing worth seeing in Brampton unless you live there.

Spend your time in downtown Toronto instead. Park at the Atrium on Bay (cheap and abundant parking on weekends). Visit the usual tourist spots, or just walk around aimlessly. Be warned that Yonge Street has lots of bums that are obviously mentally-disturbed, are obviously "on" something, and can be aggressive. The cops will leave the bums alone but ticket you for jaywalking if they see you do it. This tends to ruin the experience.

If you want to go to a mall go to Yorkdale Mall or when you are downtown the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. Graffiti Alley near China Town is cool, Google it to see, and The Distillery District is very nice to walk around and check out.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
If you want to go to a mall go to Yorkdale Mall or when you are downtown the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. Graffiti Alley near China Town is cool, Google it to see, and The Distillery District is very nice to walk around and check out.

My wife tells me that Queen's Quay at the Lake Ontario shoreline is a nice walk. I've never been there, myself.

Also visit Kensington Market or St Lawrence Market. Downtown is big and there is lots to do and see.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I grew up in Brampton. There's nothing worth seeing in Brampton unless you live there.

Spend your time in downtown Toronto instead. Park at the Atrium on Bay (cheap and abundant parking on weekends). Visit the usual tourist spots, or just walk around aimlessly. Be warned that Yonge Street has lots of bums that are obviously mentally-disturbed, are obviously "on" something, and can be aggressive. The cops will leave the bums alone but ticket you for jaywalking if they see you do it. This tends to ruin the experience.

Thanks, I have heard parking can be a nightmare but if we go early, say 8-9am would it still be a problem?

I was thinking to park my car at Bramaela or TTC kipling. Which one would be cheapest?

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

Also visit Kensington Market or St Lawrence Market. Downtown is big and there is lots to do and see.

Thanks, can all of these things be done in a day and by walk or bus?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nothing to see in Brampton, at least this time of the year, but if you like Indian food or would like to try some, there are plenty take out places and restaurants.

Brampton is NOT what it was back when east-of-Kennedy-Road was Chinguacousy Township, and Bramalea was a tiny dot at Steeles and Chinguacousy Concession Road 4.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
can all of these things be done in a day and by walk or bus?

Much of it. They have double-decker tour buses like in NYC. Buy a pass and hop-on-hop-off.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
can all of these things be done in a day and by walk or bus?

Much of it. They have double-decker tour buses like in NYC. Buy a pass and hop-on-hop-off.

Thanks, I am too cheap and can always appreciate a 'Free Walk/workout'
thumbsup2.gif

Not everything in one day no in my opinion if you want to browse in leisure. Plot out your trip using Google Maps (it will give you waking time and public transit time estimates) and check them out using Google Street view and read reviews to see what you will enjoy most. For example, Eaton Centre, Kensington Market, Graffiti Alley and Distillery can be done in one day with planning and it depends on whether you have kids in tow. I would skip the malls to be honest. There is nothing special to be seen. Yorkdale Mall is further uptown but different because it has high end boutiques, a Tesla store, etc.

Also, if you use Uber it will help a lot getting around.

Last edited:
You could buy a TTC daily pass for something like $11 and use unlimited subway and streetcars rides. Just take note the DVP is closed this weekend so traffic by car downtown will probably be nuts.

Not everything in one day no in my opinion if you want to browse in leisure. Plot out your trip using Google Maps (it will give you waking time and public transit time estimates) and check them out using Google Street view and read reviews to see what you will enjoy most. For example, Eaton Centre, Kensington Market, Graffiti Alley and Distillery can be done in one day with planning and it depends on whether you have kids in tow. I would skip the malls to be honest. There is nothing special to be seen. Yorkdale Mall is further uptown but different because it has high end boutiques, a Tesla store, etc.

Also, if you use Uber it will help a lot getting around.

Thanks very much. No kids and I personally have no interest in Malls/shopping or any wineries. Some touristic stuff, shoreline walk and a few pictures and I am all set
wink.gif

Should I drive to downtown tomorrow morning say 8am or park somewhere and take a bus/train?

Originally Posted By: JC1
You could buy a TTC daily pass for something like $11 and use unlimited subway and streetcars rides. Just take note the DVP is closed this weekend so traffic by car downtown will probably be nuts.

Dang, is DVP going to affect all highways? I could go in opposite direction Niagara falls then, I guess?

I am too cheap and can always appreciate a 'Free Walk/workout'
thumbsup2.gif

Truly? You like walking? Then park at the Atrium on Bay, and walk down Dundas westbound. That will take you through Chinatown. Go all the way to Dufferin southbound (Little Portugal) and go to King eastbound (Liberty Village). King will eventually lead you to Richmond, which will go all the way to the St. Lawrence Market. Totally free except for any food and drink you might buy, and interesting scenery.

If your feet are still good on Sunday, walk up Yonge northbound (avoiding the bums) to Bloor. Go down Bloor eastbound to the Danforth (Greektown) to Carlaw southbound. Take that to Dundas westbound again back to your starting point. Interesting scenery, again.

If you truly like walking for walking's sake, these are good ones to do.

Originally Posted By: JC1
the DVP is closed this weekend so traffic by car downtown will probably be nuts.

Only in the east end. OP would take the 427 and the western part of the Gardiner, which are in the west end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back