Recommend a travel stop.

I'm in love with New Mexico, and Colorado. You are passing through a bunch of opportunities that I personally enjoy.

Santa Fe has excellent food, and pop an edible and go to Meow Wolf.

Stop by Madrid NM for more good food with a bunch of retired science nerds and local shopping.

Alberqueue, Los Alamos both have excellent Nuclear museums.

West of Los Alamos is a giant Caldera.

The Very Large Array should be the 8th wonder of the world, and is finally open to the public again from the pandemic.

If you like Native American stuff, Bandolier National Monument, Chaco Culture National Historical Park.

Hiking opportunities abound, my favorite is the Lincoln National Forest, which is also close to White Sands National Park, and a giant Lava field that you can see from google maps.

This could eat up a few days at least. Good luck.

We’ve done tons of road trips, as well as OCONUS trips with our young children. No big deal. Just account for time for stops, and not just for the bathroom. What has always worked well for us is that we scope out playgrounds along the way and let the kids run. We get to play with them too, which is a nice departure from the grind of working days.

You could take a northern or southern route to get to where you’re going. Or both. Lots of reasons to do either one, plenty to do either way. Look at national and state parks and other spots of attraction.

I’ve never found that the concept of a camper, parking fees, etc makes sense. Ok it’s a “lifestyle”, but at that point it’s also a lot to carry. You can buy a lot of hotel rooms. If I could make a totally low cost, low frills approach work I think it could be fun, but hotels are an easier bet imo.

Yellowstone is my go to place from here in Kentucky. Our whole USA is amazing and has many wonderful inexpensive things to see and do. I lived in AZ for more than 20 years as I was growing up, so we were able to camp on the South rim of the Grand Canyon in those days. That train ride from Williams is definitely fun, and parking can be a big problem and even just just getting in can be a challenge if they are full. We chose the North Rim the last time we went. Small children will like places like Prairie Dog town and Mesa Verde. We traveled to Yellowstone 15 times and it is different every time we go and be sure to get some ice cream at the stops at Yellowstone. West Yellowstone Montana has lots of things to see and do and good food.

Buc-ee’s for brisket, jerky & beaver nuggets😎
Way over-rated on all three counts. Sandwiches are definitely overpriced.

They are good places to stop if the crowds aren’t ridiculous—clean restrooms and well lit, but the food inside is nothing to brag about.

Its better than a gas station Wendy’s or Taco Bell for sure, but thats about it.

What is your trip route? I didnt see one mentioned?
That will largely depend on all the places I get recommended here. I'll lay them out on a map and pick a route then. Would like to do one route there, and a different route back. But again, all depends on recommendations in this thread and from friends/family.

I did lots of road trips with my kids, but your talking about 2000 miles there and 2000 miles back, @350 miles per day will take 5+ days there and 5+ days back. I strongly suggest against this. Hammer down and double that per day, then take the next day off to do and see things. The longest trip we did was close to this, but the kids were a fair bit older. Thats how we did it, and it worked out. 12 hours driving, day off at a selected destination, then on agian.

Or fly and rent a car.

Every day on the road for days at a time is exhausting, especially for anyone not used to doing so.

Instead of buying a camper or staying in a motel or airbnb, do something that's kind of in-between. Rent some "camping cabins" along your way. Many campgrounds have been building these things like crazy over the last few years. With 2 young kids, I would think it would be almost perfect.

I've stayed in a few of them over the years, mostly at KOA campgrounds. There's not much to them, usually just a couple sets of bunk beds inside and a small table, but they do usually have electricity and an air conditioner. Sometimes a TV, but usually not. Sometimes they have bigger ones you can choose that have a separate room inside, sometimes it's just one big open area.

Anyways, they're cheaper than a hotel or airbnb, and they get you pretty close to a real camping experience, where you can make smores and hotdogs over a fire, and the campgrounds usually have a playground and a swimming pool or lake and/or other activities for kids to do. Here's a link to KOA's website that shows a little bit of what I'm talking about... https://koa.com/ways-to-stay/cabins/

By the way, SC Maintenance makes a few good points above. Just be sure you know what you're really getting yourself into before you head off.

Last edited:
If you're interested in geology one of the best places in Missouri is Elephant Rock state park. The kids will love it. Online pictures had me fooled thinking there were just a couple of big boulders. It's much much bigger than that. Nearby is Taum Suak mountain which is the highest point in MO. Also, there is an old fire tower lookout you can clime up to get a birdseye view. This is was free in 2020. Get there early or the rocks can bake you on a hot summer day.

https://mostateparks.com/park/elephant-rocks-state-park
"The elephant rocks, which were formed from 1.5-billion-year-old granite, are giant boulders that stand end-to-end like a train of circus elephants. The rocks have created formations that intrigue geologists, are popular with history buffs interested in the past quarrying, and fascinate children who love to climb on and between the boulders."

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...vt=elephant+rock+state+park&form=IGRE&first=1
IMG_20200711_105414.jpg
This is my son on top of one of the many rocks for size below. (and wife walking down the rocks to the right)
IMG_20200711_122502.jpg

Last edited:
Bryce canyon is pretty cool, and there's a junkyard in Jerome that has a bunch of mining equipment and trucks from the 20s up until the 70s. Moab has good mountain biking trails, there's cinder cone mountains by Flagstaff that you can ride dirt bikes on, Sedona has cool rocks and lots of traffic. And even though the signs at the south rim of the grand canyon says don't pet the mules, the mules are friendly and the people who take care of them turn a blind eye unless you start feeding them chips. Pet the mules at your own risk, they have teeth.
They also have a steam train that runs from the canyon to Williams, it's fun to watch it chug away but expensive to ride on it. If you're taking the 1-40 across from new Mexico there's not that much stuff out there in North Eastern AZ, it's mostly desert and indians.
They kick too

We had relatives in Colorado and later lived there. We traveled all over the west, but it was mostly long ago. Later travel was more limited out there, but while summer is when most families with school age kids travel, the popular sites are so crowded in summer. Spring and especially fall are less busy times to go if you can. Good luck

They are good places to stop if the crowds aren’t ridiculous—clean restrooms and well lit, but the food inside is nothing to brag about.

Its better than a gas station Wendy’s or Taco Bell for sure, but thats about it.
I will never understand getting brisket at the gas station, while some mom-and-pop BBQ place is probably within a few miles.
The same is with that Whataburger junk. They opened here last year, long lines, now you can barely see one car.

Might be worth it just for the novelty. Maybe even just to look around.

Another thing would be to get the annual interagency pass. It’s still $80 and had been since 2007 even when most sites have had their entrance fees go up. Grand Canyon has a $35 entrance fee for 7 days. Some Forest Service and BLM areas have admission fees or at least parking fees. The pass can serve as a parking permit at some sites.

Another issue now is that some sites don’t accept cash at entrance stations. Grand Canyon NP doesn’t take cash, but some nearby sites are authorized to sell entrance and annual passes. However, I’m thinking the OP might consider getting a pass long before arriving there.

I do remember when there was a lifetime $10 senior pass. My parents still have theirs, although they’re individual. The $80 regular annual pass allows two people to sign and use it. The price of the senior lifetime pass is now $80.

How long do you have for the trip? When the kids were younger we tried to do a day of travel, then stay in one place for a couple days, or have a couple of short drive days. This works better if you are camping, and have a bit of setup to do. We also try to make sure we are self sufficient on food for the most part as well, so you aren't ever stuck in line at fast food place with cranky kids waiting...
We actually tented it at provincial/state parks for the most part which is nice as the kids can move around and roam, and motelled once in a while if it looked like we were going to have to setup in the rain.
You've got six 10 hr driving days which is a bit of a trek, and sometimes I think its better to see more in fewer places especially at that age, but if they travel well, then it can work out too.

Nashville is on your route to and back from GC, so it may be a worthwhile overnight stop if your family is into the country music scene. Maybe check out the Bass Pro Shop pyramid in Memphis too.

AirBnB has jumped the shark, the fees are outrageous. We have gone back to staying in hotels unless there's something unusually reasonable or with an amazing view of something, or in some area we can't get a reasonable hotel in. We stayed a month in Brazil last year and that's been probably the only time we used it in the last few years, we got a flat for the whole month in an upscale neighborhood in Sao Paulo for around $2K. Since we were staying over a month we didn't want a hotel experience, we wanted more of a regular apartment experience with the ability to have bedrooms and do meals and so forth. But otherwise it's been hotels or staying with relatives in some cases.

anyway....

Assuming I-40 the whole way from Charlotte to Flagstaff?

Don't know what's fun in Nashville for kids but there's got to be something, seems like an obvious stopping point.

I'd give Memphis a miss unless you think the kids might enjoy Graceland.

Hot Springs Arkansas perhaps for a swim, 40ish miles off route if you're continuing on I-40.

Tulsa over OKC, also about 40 miles off route. Well you'll end up going through both if you go to Tulsa but I just think Tulsa is more interesting, check out Discovery Lab and Guthrie Green for the littles. There's some nice outdoorsy stuff in Eastern Oklahoma that may surprise you, lakes and forests and waterfalls and such, if you're looking for an outside the city stop.

Amarillo has the Cadillac Ranch, and there's some wineries up there on the high plains of the Texas Panhandle if you and the wifey are in to that.

You can go up the gondola in Albuquerque to the top of Sandia Peak, that should be fun for little ones. Just be careful not to go run around up there too much if you're not yet acclimated, I got altitude sick hiking up there one time after coming from Austin the same day.

Can pick up the Route 66 stuff in western NM and eastern Arizona, maybe the little ones will be into the old fuddy duddy signs and cool cars. Then you'll be in Flagstaff before you know it and a hop skip and jump up to the Grand Canyon.

Interesting the comments about the North Rim. I loved the North Rim when I went, it was forested, cooler and uncrowded. The south rim was hot, dry and crowded. I will say though it is definitely quite a hike to get from the North Rim visitors center to the South Rim visitors center in the car.

I suppose it can be done on foot also but that's another topic entirely and one that doesn't involve little kids.

Back