Starting to Research Honeymoon Destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Beaches, coffee, food and volcanoes = ITALY

Excellent suggestion.

BTW, Costa Rica has all that, too, to a large extent, but Italy has more [written] history.

This was a view from our hotel room in CR:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FIFY

Come on up to Canada, relatively safe, good(ish) coffee (Tim's), lots of things to do in the GTA area - Niagra on the Lake is a good place to start.
Toronto is just 40 Minutes up and around Lake Ontario. Catch a Blue Jays game.
And your money goes 30% farther here.
End of May would be ideal weather wise.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Caymans, US Virgin Islands, ABC Islands.
Boy, these choices sure are nice 1st world problems...

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I have been to Hawaii, UK, all of Western Europe, Mexico, Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman, St Maarten, Anguilla ). I think it really depends on what you want to do. I really like Bonaire but it is very focused on scuba diving and snorkeling. But its not built up like Aruba and Curacao. Cayman and Aruba are a bit more built up, Bonaire is more small town, Curacao more built up but not quite like Aruba. Hawaii has all the different islands, and its a different experience on each. The volcanos on the big island are cool, but the beaches and swimming are not nearly as good as the other islands. If your traveling to the Caribbean, I would suggest avoiding anything that was hit by a hurricane in the last few years.

I really like the BVI- If you want to be pampered, with fine service but a bit more alone time, check out Peter Island in the BVI. Warning that it is very expensive. Combine Peter Island with time on VIrgin Gorda which can be inexpensive and adventurous - Try to hit a place called " The Baths " if you like exploring and snorkeling: I have combined trips of like 5 days on Virgin Gorda with 5 days at Peter Island.
(oops, I checked Peter Island and it is closed for reconstruction, probably due to the hurricane ).

Check this out for Peter Island- https://peterisland.com/beaches/white-bay-beach This is about a 1 - 1.25 mile stretch of beach, with only 4-5 cabanas, so maximum capacity is about 8-10 people. It is about as close to a private beach you can get- there is about a 1/4 mile for each couple. The entire island only supports about 50 guests max.

The Baths - some images - https://www.google.com/search?q=the...CTYQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1920&bih=937

I have my own boat, so cruise ships do not interest me, but lots of people like them.

What about something like Italy, Greece etc. ? Depending on the exchange rates certain countries can really be a bargain. For a big city that is tourist friendly, easy to travel and safe, it is pretty hard to beat London. The amount of history is astounding, there is no language barrier, and the city has great access via the Tube or walking.

Costa Rica imho is best bet. Has everything you seek and even the "crappy" hotel coffee was amazing!

Tons to do from ocean, hiking , rain forests, cloud forests....

Past Easter Caymen Islands are not crowded are quite nice too. My family loved it there but obviously beach oriented.

Totally different spin, hope you don't mind.

From where I see it, it depends on how old both of you are, how much dough you have saved for the retirement, how long you are together and if this is your first and non-first marriage.
If you are youngsters, marrying for the first time with no kids involved, I would suggest some quaint place away from the tourists. Even as simple as picking some good national parks and hiking is awesome. Lonely Planet has a good article on visiting national parks. After all, the goal is to 'connect'. Going to fancy islands and spending loads of money looks very good (maybe a status symbol for some) but all comes down to your lifestyle.

I was a globetrotter, had a grand wedding (against my wish, ~2000 guests, a cultural thing) and went to Paris for a honeymoon. When I got married, I was rolling in dough but you never know when the life throws a wrench at you and all comes to a screeching halt.

So if I am to suggest any youngster, gather as much dough as possible when you can as if you are planning for early retirement and enjoy that as life goes on.

Rent a home and a Jeep in St. John, USVI, very private and laid back. 1/3 the island is a National Park for hiking and running and you can drive to a different beach or place any time. You can also rent a boat (with or w/o a captain) and take a daytrip over to the BVI's.

Every year, these three are listed in the Top-5 USA.......New York City, Orlando and San Francisco.
I'm assuming you won't be traveling overseas, to places like Rome, Paris, London.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I have been to Hawaii, UK, all of Western Europe, Mexico, Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman, St Maarten, Anguilla ). I think it really depends on what you want to do. I really like Bonaire but it is very focused on scuba diving and snorkeling. But its not built up like Aruba and Curacao. Cayman and Aruba are a bit more built up, Bonaire is more small town, Curacao more built up but not quite like Aruba. Hawaii has all the different islands, and its a different experience on each. The volcanos on the big island are cool, but the beaches and swimming are not nearly as good as the other islands. If your traveling to the Caribbean, I would suggest avoiding anything that was hit by a hurricane in the last few years.

I really like the BVI- If you want to be pampered, with fine service but a bit more alone time, check out Peter Island in the BVI. Warning that it is very expensive. Combine Peter Island with time on VIrgin Gorda which can be inexpensive and adventurous - Try to hit a place called " The Baths " if you like exploring and snorkeling: I have combined trips of like 5 days on Virgin Gorda with 5 days at Peter Island.
(oops, I checked Peter Island and it is closed for reconstruction, probably due to the hurricane ).

Check this out for Peter Island- https://peterisland.com/beaches/white-bay-beach This is about a 1 - 1.25 mile stretch of beach, with only 4-5 cabanas, so maximum capacity is about 8-10 people. It is about as close to a private beach you can get- there is about a 1/4 mile for each couple. The entire island only supports about 50 guests max.

The Baths - some images - https://www.google.com/search?q=the...CTYQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1920&bih=937

I have my own boat, so cruise ships do not interest me, but lots of people like them.

Another good option is Anegada on the BVI. Stay at Neptune's Treasure. Be treated like family. Get the wood grilled lobster from the place just down the beach.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
FIFY

I was referring to all the monuments and landmarks that one can sight-see in Italy.

Yeah,

[Linked Image]

FIFY

I was referring to all the monuments and landmarks that one can sight-see in Italy.

Yeah,

[Linked Image]

If you go out of your way to look for the negatives in everything, I'm sure you'll find them.

How many times have you visited Italy?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Another good option is Anegada on the BVI. Stay at Neptune's Treasure. Be treated like family. Get the wood grilled lobster from the place just down the beach.

Of all the times I have been to BVI, I was never able to get to Anegada. Renting a boat and spending a few days there would be really cool, and I love going to very secluded spots.

Since OP is into aerospace etc., what about maybe Washington D.C. for the Air and Space Museum ? Generally the Smithsonian Museums are free.

Having been stationed at Pearl Harbor in the 80's, I really wanted to go back to show my wife the Islands and we finally did it in 2012 for an anniversary. We visited Oahu, Maui and Kauai and my wife fell in love with HI. Kauai was her favorite along with certain parts of Maui.

I was lazy so I just told AAA how much I wanted to spend and they booked everything. Rented a car on all three islands and did a total of 1,000 miles in 12 days. Living in NJ and working in NYC, I always find it funny when I hear my friends complain that Hawaii is expensive. Yes, it can be expensive but everything doesn't have to be. The day after we came home we had lunch at Panera Bread and it was more expensive than our last lunch in Hawaii at a local "mixed plate" place. Some of the best beaches on Oahu are on the Windward side. We stayed three blocks from the beach in Waikiki and never went to the beach there, except for one day just walking around checking out the sights near a couple of hotels.

My wife isn't fond of flying either and we fly 1-3 times a year. She has inner ear issues and didn't want to fly direct so we purposely had a short layover in CA to break up the trip. To my surprise, a local on Maui convinced her to take a helicopter tour on Kauai and it was absolutely amazing. Seeing the Na Pali coast is just breathtaking. We went with Blue Hawaiian and had an ex-Army pilot as our pilot so we felt very comfortable. The helicopters are so huge it's like a little plane. No way would we do one of those tiny choppers you see in some places.

It also helped that all of our bookings said we were celebrating our anniversary and we received a couple of flight upgrades and hotel upgrades on Maui and Kauai. We're planning another trip late Fall and will be going to Oahu and either Maui or perhaps Molokai. Still haven't been to the Big Island but hope to go on a future trip. We still want to eventually get to the Greek Islands, France (outside of Paris), and the Italian countryside. But those will have to wait since we want to go back to Hawaii first.

Last edited:
FIFY

Yeah,

[Linked Image]

We need a special place for people like you (my negative feelings outlet sub-forum) and a few others who can insert negative feelings and personal hangups on a nice topic like Honeymoon destinations. Maybe together you can get over it there and rise. Sorry for you.

Costa Rica, I'd say Monte Verde + Arenal volcano are very good for hiking and nature, with a bit of foreign travel and a bit of civilization thrown in.

How many times have you visited Italy?

As many as Shakespeare did - who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back