TSA pre-check status and considerations

I’m exaggerating a bit, but I nearly always have at least one camera and a couple of lenses in my bag.

The cameras are definitely “electronics larger than a cell phone” and I’ve had varying interpretations as to whether or not unattached lenses are. It’s easier to pull them out than to have an agent decide they are and pitch a fit because you left them.
I always take out the DSLRs and place them in their own bin, but never the lenses. So far, so good. I also have a really specialized LED flashlight that has unlimited adjustment for hue, saturation and brightness.... It also just so happens to slightly resemble the grip of a handgun. Surprisingly the agents have never said a word about it or asked to see it.

I have a security clearance and fly with my government ID. Had to do a one-time "connection" between two government agencies and now I have Pre-check or its equivalent.

Wife doesn't have it. Lines move about the same. I wouldn't pay for this supposed convenience for light use. There are enough glitches in air travel and a TSA-related one is minor, IMO.
Depends on the airport.

In big airports, like MCO, DIA, TSA regular line can take an hour. Sometimes more.

Pre-check takes ten minutes.

It's $150 + $100 = $250

I find it funny how relabeling a fee as a "processing fee" makes it disappear from peoples' minds.

View attachment 163416
I linked this from TSA. It is $100. Period.

You are using a third party - they are charging you the $150. TSA isn’t charging this. This company that you keep going to is charging you.

Look at the site address carefully. You are on the the wrong site.

My wife just did it directly with TSA. It was $100.

Last two times I went on flights going throw regular screening I beat out those in my party with pre check.

If you travel little I would not bother. Often then worht it

I linked this from TSA. It is $100. Period.

You are using a third party - they are charging you the $150. TSA isn’t charging this. This company that you keep going to is charging you.

Look at the site address carefully. You are on the the wrong site.

My wife just did it directly with TSA. It was $100.

You are absolutely correct.

My precheck is free, I think because I have Global Entry. It was free when I was active duty.

Look, if you’re going to pay $80 for five years, then just get Global entry - $100 for five years.

Global entry takes a few seconds to authenticate you, once you’re at the kiosks. The line is anywhere from 0-5 minutes.

Regular passengers often take over an hour, I’ve seen it take three hours. One international trip makes Global entry worth it.

You keep getting false information about the cost of this, as well as doing the final interview portion.

My wife is getting her global entry interview done here in Norfolk. There is no parking fee, it doesn’t take her more than 15 minutes to get to the site, and the cost is $100. Sure, she gets TSA pre-check because she’s a government civilian, but she will retire soon. And she will have global entry for five years, so that every time we travel internationally, instead of spending hours, repeat hours, plural, in line, she breezes through…

In minutes.

Finally, spending the minutes now, when you have time, in order to gain those minutes when you’re rushed, your rental car process was slow, or you’re late for a flight, is a very worthwhile exchange. It’s like putting money in the bank, it’s there when you need it.

Leaving your shoes and jacket on, leaving your liquids and gels, and electronics, in the bag, makes for a totally different security experience even if you're not rushed.

I would agree with the Global Entry, even if you only used it one. That $100 is worth it, especially if you have an international flight connecting to a domestic flight. I used to travel to Canada 4-6 times a year for work, made it so easy. I looked into getting the Nexus card as well.

Back