Starters/Solenoids, which ones are best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for the Tracker. Probably its just the solenoid as there's just a small single click when I turn the key, no movement or other noise. Battery is good.
But in case its the starter, which brands are good and which to avoid?

There is AC Delco and Denso remans available, OE from the dealer is $350 which I'm almost tempted to get, but its a week away. I've had two NAPA cheapie ones in there and they lasted just under 2 years each probably only around 2000 starts or less... Very consistently made to bad standards?
crazy.gif

The original one only went 7 years as well, so it seems this vehicle is hard on them for some reason as we don't do alot of mall hopping/short tripping at all.

Hand cranking is starting to look appealing! Bump starting is fine but a bit of a pain to find a hill to park on all the time.

The solenoid should be part of the starter on that one. I don't know what to tell you on the brand, I have had decent luck with AAP starters. NAPA electrical parts have gone down hill over the last 15 years or so. I don't think there is a big difference between the rebuilds from most brands though.

For Japanese makes (where typically supplied by OE such as Denso, Mitsubishi or Hitachi), I'd always go back to as "original" as possible, meaning that if it's by Denso, I will go for Denso replacement parts.

I don't trust other aftermakret replacement parts brands, had some very disappointing experiences in the past.

If you are contemplating for reman starters, Denso or Bosch are good buys.

Q.

I like using local independent rebuilders who put pride into their work. This keeps the local economy going and makes it easy to go back to their location if a problem arises.

I usually go with OEM from a recycling yard first.
If that is not an option in your location I go with a rebuild (am under the opinion they all come from the same place) May check a new out but check country first. Have had good luck with most USA and Korean parts.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I like using local independent rebuilders who put pride into their work. This keeps the local economy going and makes it easy to go back to their location if a problem arises.

I am taking the car in to a new mechanic next tuesday so we'll see if he has or recommends that option. I'd like to get a lifetime warranty but I guess one fixed properly would be lifetime for the car.

If it is a Denso one, find the replaceable contacts on the internet and replace them. Your starter would be almost as good as new.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd like to get a lifetime warranty but I guess one fixed properly would be lifetime for the car.

I'd spring for a Denso. Lifetime warranties don't cover labor, down time or loaner cars.

No reputable (re)manufacturer will offer a lifetime warranty. When an auto part has a lifetime guaranty it means "We know the part is going to fail, and soon. We're going to mark it up 80% over cost and make a wager with you that you will: lose your receipt; forget where you bought it; it will break while your wife is driving it and you are out of town; or you will sell the car before the part breaks."

How hard is it to R+R? If it is something that doesnt take all day. Take the starter to an auto electric shop if you can find one. Have them rebuild it. Or buy another rebuilt and don't turn in the bad starter for the core charge. Also, have you checked out the cable and the ground path from the battery to the starter ? Do a little Googling and find a you tube video on how to rebuild a starter and do it yourself.
I probably have 75-100K miles left on the starters in the BMW. Same with alternators. 25 years ago, Bosch built good stuff. Today. not so much. The Rat starts like a dream. Nothing gets driven very much. I had the starter out of the Rat when I replaced the clutch. I scraped a heavy coat of oil and dirt from the housing and cleaned up the lug for the cable. The cable's end was broken, so I crimped a new end on it. I didnt mess with the old school solenoid on the fender. I had to re-do the ground from the battery to the block too.

Ian:

Might want to take the starter to Barry's (the armature place) up behind Future Shop area, right across from Freightliner.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Ian:

Might want to take the starter to Barry's (the armature place) up behind Future Shop area, right across from Freightliner.

I probably should, the weather isn't looking good this weekend for doing work on the driveway though... Also, would I have to plug the hole where the starter was to drive it for a few 100km?

Ian:

I probably should, the weather isn't looking good this weekend for doing work on the driveway though... Also, would I have to plug the hole where the starter was to drive it for a few 100km?

I assume you are going to push start it????

Ian:

I only needed a push once since Thursday when the starter quit, I just park on a slope at home and work or leave it running if no hill is available in a parking lot.

Ian:

I only needed a push once since Thursday when the starter quit, I just park on a slope at home and work or leave it running if no hill is available in a parking lot.

Yeah, no need to cover the hole. Just make sure you cover the positive lead that went to it and wrap it out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back