Starter trouble: repair or replace

My 2000 Mazda MPV (i know, it's old) failed to start and left me stranded (story for another day). The culprit is that the cable between the solenoid and the starter motor is broken at the solenoid bolt. It is not the solenoid connection to the B+ (the other bolt). It's rust. Is it possible to repair the short cable? or am I better off getting a reman starter? Starter itself does not seem to have problem. It is a pain to access. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OK... thanks! rockauto has both reman and new from BBB Industries. I am thinking to get a new one. what do you think?

What you describe was actually the problem on brand NEW ACDelco starters for my 1998 Maxima, but as others have said, new starter imho.....

Is there no starter/alternator shop near you?

Also, a NAPA store near me swears they source good quality products. I've trusted these guys for a while and they don't throw bovex.
See if there's a similarly good supplier near you. You can get fast, postage free service.

I keep a spare starter and alt on the shelf- keep and repair the oe.
I have never rebuilt a starter myself, but my wife's bff whose husband is a Toyota employee and a Lexus tech, stated to ALWAYS rebuild what came with the car. Not only is it not expensive, it's the best quality job you'll ever have....keeping the OE is great advice. Often there is little to no core (which actually is a hint that maybe the rebuild isn't fantastic--AC Delco had no core and at the time, lifetime warranty which I had to use 2X)...

I have never rebuilt a starter myself, but my wife's bff whose husband is a Toyota employee and a Lexus tech, stated to ALWAYS rebuild what came with the car. Not only is it not expensive, it's the best quality job you'll ever have....keeping the OE is great advice. Often there is little to no core (which actually is a hint that maybe the rebuild isn't fantastic--AC Delco had no core and at the time, lifetime warranty which I had to use 2X)...
Where I live- the downtime for the vehicle is a consideration if they have to order said part in.
Jap/Denso starters that I have opened up are superbly built- usually just the copper contacts need work and a cleanup- the bearing are normally ok. Not your 80's Remy stuff- but you pay for the quality.

Where I live- the downtime for the vehicle is a consideration if they have to order said part in.
Jap/Denso starters that I have opened up are superbly built- usually just the copper contacts need work and a cleanup- the bearing are normally ok. Not your 80's Remy stuff- but you pay for the quality.
my '06 LS430 has its original starter. I believe that job is 10 hrs by the book, and there are no other jobs to leverage while it's being done. I'd have the indie do it, but perhaps, ask for the core back....not sure what the charge might be. The reason to pay the labor is to get the warranty on the labor in case the part goes bad...knock on wood it's never acted up.

My experience is that when a starter acts up, it's not a fluke, it's the beginning of a problem. My maxima took about 18 mos to fail altogether, after it began to stick and fail to retract. And it did in bumper to bumper traffic on City Line Ave during rush hour (I STUPIDLY SHUT THE CAR OFF AND TRIED TO RESTART [it would have failed leaving work otherwise])...

my '06 LS430 has its original starter. I believe that job is 10 hrs by the book, and there are no other jobs to leverage while it's being done. I'd have the indie do it, but perhaps, ask for the core back....not sure what the charge might be. The reason to pay the labor is to get the warranty on the labor in case the part goes bad...knock on wood it's never acted up.

My experience is that when a starter acts up, it's not a fluke, it's the beginning of a problem. My maxima took about 18 mos to fail altogether, after it began to stick and fail to retract. And it did in bumper to bumper traffic on City Line Ave during rush hour (I STUPIDLY SHUT THE CAR OFF AND TRIED TO RESTART [it would have failed leaving work otherwise])...
For That kind of labor- either I do it and/or a new oem starter goes back in.

Sometimes the pain in the butt is when your car's starter motor model is just not available except on a month or more's backorder, because later years changed the vendor for the motor. Taking it out and getting it rebuilt, or finding a refurb starter motor that's up for sale are your only ways out, when that happens as it did for me, with a 2011 honda city, far younger car than I'd expected that to happen, for a model that's been in production over two decades in India and other Asian countries.

Took apart the bush end of the motor. Here are a few pics. I think it's repairable with a new bush/holder unit if there are good ones...

Attachments

• 20230821_130713.jpg
    20230821_130713.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230821_130755.jpg
    20230821_130755.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 51
Is there no starter/alternator shop near you?

Also, a NAPA store near me swears they source good quality products. I've trusted these guys for a while and they don't throw bovex.
See if there's a similarly good supplier near you. You can get fast, postage free service.
Napa stuff is the same as you get at any auto parts chain. But at least around here they have dirty, dark stores, don’t care about you unless you’re a shop, and charge more for the same products the competition has. Maybe they aren’t all like that but that’s been my experience with them. I would say you do have a higher chance of finding stuff for larger trucks/medium duty/heavy duty/ag parts and supplies at Napa vs O’Reilly/AutoZone/advance. But if you’re changing your own starter I’d get one at the more retail oriented competition like OR or AZ because they’re open earlier/later so if you ever have an issue with it you can get a replacement easier.

Back