SR71 Max speed?

From Wiki but I'm sure that's conservatively published:

• Maximum speed: 1,910 kn (2,200 mph, 3,540 km/h) at 80,000 ft (24,000 m)
  • Maximum speed: Mach 3.3[N 8]

Well, since the VHF/UHF radio doesn’t work beyond line of sight - which limits the range between surface stations to a few dozen miles when you’re on deck - and a few hundred miles if the transmitter is at 80,000 feet - there is no way he could’ve heard that radio call.

Even if he knew the destination (likely Beale) and the frequency on which to listen.
unless the earth is flat..............;)

So at what point will the top-secret max speed and technical specification become available?

Supposedly military documents are declassified automatically after 75 years, but I'm sure there are exemptions.

When can we expect, if ever, to learn the secrets of the SR-71? Top speed, secret missions, and other interesting tech details.

2050, 2080, 2100 or beyond?

So at what point will the top-secret max speed and technical specification become available?

Supposedly military documents are declassified automatically after 75 years, but I'm sure there are exemptions.

When can we expect, if ever, to learn the secrets of the SR-71? Top speed, secret missions, and other interesting tech details.

2050, 2080, 2100 or beyond?

There have already been pieces that have been declassified. This was from 2002.

Many have said at 6000 MPH it was close to half throttle. So I've heard 13,000 mph for the space shuttle in re entry, that is very likely below the max 300k plus altitude that the SR would be in. I'd be guessing in the Mesosphere (plus), 12,000 mph would be attainable.

What is the real max altitude and speed for an F14? Yeah secret.

I am absolutely amazed how they designed the SR-71 without computers and it had such crazy performance.
Computers existed then, but yes many things done with slide rules and the Marchants and Fridens. Those were the days of the best of the best of engineers. The ones now? With out all the info from those old timers the ones now would be lost.

Back