Squeaking steering sound

2006 Sentra with ~128K on the odometer.

Last couple of weeks, steering has started squeaking. I thought the steering fluid level is low, so I topped it up to max. The squeaking sound persists. Of course, more pronounced when I am standing still. I don't notice any difference while driving.

Whats the possible issue here, and how much could it cost to fix? The reason I am asking cost, I am at a point of dumping this car, just waiting for a right price for a hybrid. Since nobody knows how the market is going to turn out this year, I am weighing if its worth investing more into this car or just to suck up to the new car prices.

Thanks in advance.

Its hard to say what the issue is, unless a trained ear can listen then pinpoint its location. But typically this could be related to something with the struts, tie rod ends, end links, bushings most likely.

Loose belt would make sense, less power assist needed while driving but more needed when idling at a stop to turn the wheels. I don’t know if id call belt noise a squeak, usually more of a squeal, but potato potahto right?

Back