Partial power steering fluid exchange at Wal Mart - McGiver style.

It's the Prestone Euro formula.
Didn’t know that Prestone made a dedicated product. Had to add a bit of CHF-202 (and CHF-11S is also compatible) to my daughter’s Volvo when I was in Salt Lake City last summer. Outrageously priced at a local Advance Auto Parts.

This would have been a better choice in that circumstance (a few ounces needed).

Still, I buy CHF-11S by the 5 liter jug for the ABC suspension on both MB. Takes 12-15 liters for a full flush, done every other year. So, I always have a bit with which to top off a Mercedes PS system…

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
The more important question - did it work?
Not yet, and I don't have high expectations. My likely misdirected hope is that there is some foreign material in the power steering control valve (OE VEMO V30771052). I was disappointed to see this is not a high seller/ popular item at rock auto so I hope I am going down the right path. This valve is $309 at RockAuto. AMZN has dozen of copies of this for $32. I will go with OE and not a copy.
After swapping out just 5 OZ of fluid, I drove home 4 miles, and then turned the wheels four times end to end. Let the car sit overnight, and I will remove another five ounces of fluid again. Car seemed easier to steer- but could be placebo effect.
Here is a video on the problem I think I have:

Him and his two goons almost ran me over coming off an AirCanada lounge elevator - everyone there had to clear …
It is unfortunate but understandable since you look exactly like a well-known senior executive from the CBC.

It is unfortunate but understandable since you look exactly like a well-known senior executive from the CBC.
Way more than me had to move clear - pretty obvious they were very large jerks … I have spoken to PM Paul Martin in a hotel lobby and his “ear wired suits” were very pleasant …

Did another extraction this morning with the Prestone coolant tester. Awesome tool for this purpose, especially at $3-$4 USD. Its extracts hydraulic fluid so very easily and with great control. The Mercedes power steering reservoir has a filter in the center which limits range from a turkey baster of static extraction tube. The Prestone tube is flexible yet firm.

Also converted over to the OEM approved fluid. Problem still present- will be buying the valve.....

That solenoid looks pretty expensive for what you get, a thing that blocks fluid or doesn't. Why not try a knockoff, what's the worst that can happen?

Reactions: D60
What kind of capacity does that coolant tester have? Only looks like a few ounces.

I used aquarium bubbler tubing from WM to siphon out the motor oil from my plow truck through the dipstick. Only took three days! It's long enough, and clear so you can see the fluid coming, so one could theoretically start the siphon mouth-to-mouth but I used a mity-vac.
I did this on the rear axle of my '63 Bonneville, but it only took an afternoon. I really didn't feel like pulling the axles.

Do need power steering in this vehicle? I drove my old Isuzu Trooper without power steering for a couple years. Parallel parking was difficult but regular driving was fine.

My turkey baster hack to get all the fluid out of a PS reservoir, add a small length of fuel line to the tip:

IMG_1269.jpg

Back