Spring removal

wlk

Why I just pay my mechanic to do this.
1699108248642.jpg

Spring Compressers are poorly named. After a few attempts at compressing a spring, and having one of the hooks slip. I realized that just HOLDING the spring in place was sufficient. Once you see a small gap on the perch,it is safe to undo. During the learning phase, I tossed a compressed spring 20 feet in an empty parking lot. When it landed,
the clamp let go, and the spring bounced about 30 feet. If you over compress a spring, you're just giving it more energy to tear your head off
PS about my 3rd failed attempt, I tried to keep the hooks on with hose clamps. Didn't work.
:cool:

That pic with the vice grips looks like Project Farm’s cousin Eddie’s work.
The vise says “NO CHEATER PIPE” but didn’t say nuthin’ ‘bout cheater death grips.

If you REALLY want to get your adrenaline going, do some coil spring R&R on some 60’s Ford products (Mustang, Cougar) that have the coil spring on top of the upper control arm. That job takes the place of a coffee or Red Bull cravings. 😎

If you REALLY want to get your adrenaline going, do some coil spring R&R on some 60’s Ford products (Mustang, Cougar) that have the coil spring on top of the upper control arm. That job takes the place of a coffee or Red Bull cravings. 😎
I’m not picturing it. Would be a pretty short spring then, no?

I’ll probably be compressing a looong, heavy MB diesel spring tomorrow… which is why this is on my mind.

I've done that. 1970 Mercury Cougar. Those springs are very long.

I’m not picturing it. Would be a pretty short spring then, no?
This is a setup on a '71 Cougar. I'll be doing a complete front end rebuild in the next few months. As posted, the spring is actually quite long. The top of the front coil spring actually sits very close to the hood. A few YouTube videos warn that you really want to keep alert replacing these.

Attachments

• cougar.JPG
    cougar.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
Been there; done that; got the scars to prove it. 1966 Mustang convertible.

My dad's 70 station wagon was sitting way too low so I decided to put new Springs on it. I actually ended up doing that job three times before getting it right. The first time the guy that looked up the part at the parts store gave me the wrong Springs. The second time the car sat too high, it turned out that my father had ordered the car with no AC. The weight difference was enough that the car ended up sitting too high to be aligned. So we had to eat the cost of that set of Springs and get another set and put them in.

Back