Spark Plug fit are the new plugs too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't checked the numbers (can the OP go to a NGK site, for crying out loud!)

But the ones that came out appear to have blowby up the threads and carbon all over the flat gasket sealing surface. Looks like they had the wrong ones in there last tuneup - or they were loose. The only 2 viable explanations

And - Don't use the bosch, They make decent "copper" spark plugs but that's about it. Nippon Denso or O.E electrode NGK ( not USA made V -Power garbage) Or Autolite or Champion. Autolites did well on the wife's lil Dodge Colt 4 banger from the mid eighties
smile.gif

Bosch is close to Lucas as far as the Lord of Darkness goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: handyman
Now, I'm wondering if I had the wrong plugs in there in the first place?? but they have been there for 75,000 miles???

That's not too uncommon

the gasket doesn't make a difference. All it means is how much torque you apply to it after the washer makes contact.

The length difference matters more, as more spark plug will be inside the combustion chamber and can interfere with the piston.

There's nothing wrong with Bosch plugs, VW/Audi even puts Bosch plugs into their engines at the factory. The OP's Bosch Platinum +2 looked fine.

Last edited:
I think they'll be fine.

Bosch 9617 (25mm reach)
ACDelco 41-834 (24.94mm reach)

I would've rather had the ACDelco double platinum 41-834 if it was me.
smile.gif

Those two plugs look different - if the PO or shop that changed the plugs before hand used the wrong plugs, then how did your car run for all that time? Verify if you have the Ecotec or V6 and make sure. Run a plug hole chaser with a little lube like WD-40 or even GM's Top Engine Cleaner.

I usually shy away from Bosch plugs - but the newest double platinum/iridium plugs are basically identical to what NGK and Denso make - not the "original" design they used. I'd use them, they are still made in Germany instead of Russia or India like their copper plugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
the gasket doesn't make a difference. ...

That's flat out wrong. Two different seat designs - not just gasket or no gasket.

Since youalready have the bosch plugs in your hands, use them. Being Ir with that electrode design they should be OK if the heat range is wide enough.

Long reach, tapered seat should be correct to a 2001-2002 L100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back