Spam email's Unsubscribe link doesn't work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get alot of spam email's (like most people), mostly from car dealers.

What I have noticed is that when there is an "unsubscribe" link, usually at the bottom, it doesn't do anything. You can't click on it. Usually when you hover over it it becomes an hand sign and you can click on it to go do a different web page, but not with these emails.

I have tried this in different web browsers and there is no difference.

Anyway to get to the unsubscribe link????

Sometimes that link is just a way for them to find out that you read their spam / that they've reached a valid email address - you're setting yourself up for more spam by clicking. Even loading embedded images is a privacy risk.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Sometimes that link is just a way for them to find out that you read their spam / that they've reached a valid email address - you're setting yourself up for more spam by clicking.

Agreed.

You're better off just setting up a filter to delete such messages as they arrive in your mailbox.

The one's that I can't seem to unsubscribe from are from legitimate local car dealerships. At one time I was interested in a new car from them but bought elsewhere.

So I keep getting them years later with no way to unsubscribe.

Originally Posted By: daddi
The one's that I can't seem to unsubscribe from are from legitimate local car dealerships. At one time I was interested in a new car from them but bought elsewhere.

Then just create a rule or filter to immediately move them to your deleted folder. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Then just create a rule or filter to immediately move them to your deleted folder. Problem solved.

I realize that I can create a rule or filter to knock them out. But just curious why they even put an unsubscribe link in the email if it doesn't do anything!!

...maybe their dealership spam engine was hacked and now serves double duty for a nefarious third party. Legitimate sites have unsubscribe links that work.

Filter it as was suggested and move on

Mostly they just don't care. Marketing emails are also typically handled by third party companies that specialize in that kind of thing. I guarantee you that the dealership doesn't have a large IT staff with their own mail servers. They contract with a marketing company and give them a list of email addresses that customers have provided to them, and the marketing company generates sends out the spam.

Email the dealer and ask to be pulled off list and mention unsubscribe is not functioning.

Unsubscibe is typically a special web link that ties your email so when the web page opens it attempts to remove you from a list via manual intervention or automation.

just curious why they even put an unsubscribe link in the email if it doesn't do anything!!

hooked.gif

I had the same thing with some local real estate agents.

I just rang them up, and politely explained that I wanted to be removed from their email list. Job done, the emails stopped.

What I have noticed is that when there is an "unsubscribe" link, usually at the bottom, it doesn't do anything. You can't click on it. Usually when you hover over it it becomes an hand sign and you can click on it to go do a different web page, but not with these emails.

Let me guess.... Yahoo Mail..... which is Garbage Mail.com.
If that's your email provider, switch to GMail.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Let me guess.... Yahoo Mail..... which is Garbage Mail.com.
If that's your email provider, switch to GMail.

Yes yahoo mail!! Will just block them like folks suggested!!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Sometimes that link is just a way for them to find out that you read their spam / that they've reached a valid email address - you're setting yourself up for more spam by clicking.

Agreed.

You're better off just setting up a filter to delete such messages as they arrive in your mailbox.

X2 Never use unsubscribe for email lists you haven't personally signed up for. All you are doing is letting the unscrupulous ones know it is a good address and they will keep on sending to you. It can even increase the number you received because they will sell your address to other spammers as a good one.

Use your email program's blocking feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back