New Email Spams

Al

Recently get many spams that would have gone to spam filder. In addition to things like "Ace Hardware" they will also have mixtures of weird (ASCII?) symbols in the message. When you mark them as spam they keep showing up bc there are ones with different symbols.

Solutions?

I've been getting emails stating that Norton security(for ex.) is taking payment from Paypal for $800 for a years subscription. I don't have Norton or Paypal acct. There is also another one with a different company listed. They want you to click on a link to verify something.
Anybody else getting these.

On your phone? PC? Emails? Texts? What platform?
Shouldn't matter, though I guess it depends on your mail provider and the program or app you use. I use Google mail and their app so on my computer, when I "Report spam", I am telling Google directly and it works the same if you use the actual Gmail app. I'm positive that when I report a message as spam and others report the same as spam, Google adds "weight" to the likelihood of it really being spam for everyone.

If you use Microsoft Outlook pulling mail from Yahoo!, when you block a message, that's probably only on your computer.

Solutions?
Keep marking them as spam. You "teach" the spam systems / filters this way and they get better and better. I've had a gmail.com email address since ~2008 and (I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this), NO spam makes it to my Gmail inbox.

I have had a massive rash of these emails recently.
usually have a picture.. and comes from a totally random spam email.
[email protected] etc.
After faithfully marking them for weeks.. seems to have worked.

usually the subject is "confirmation" or ORDER

here is a recent one.. in danish it was blocked. Note anything in spam folder the pics arent downloaded.
image_2023-03-10_132300139.png

and another.. FREE MILWAUKEE CLICK ME CLICK ME!
image_2023-03-10_132538095.jpg

Keep marking them as spam. You "teach" the spam systems / filters this way and they get better and better. I've had a gmail.com email address since ~2008 and (I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this), NO spam makes it to my Gmail inbox.
^^^ Beat me to it.^^^ Yup.... the system "learns" based upon your marking. It's smart...but it's NOT that smart.

You're using Gmail ? Looks like it.... I'm not seeing anything like those even in my spam folder.
yeah they get the free billion email list online and put it to their spam database and you get BOMBBARDED.
I have had this email since before 2002(iirc) at Gmail.. so its out there.
after a few hundred scam emails maybe you click something wrong or dont figure out its scam.
At first they looked pretty good with some of the images I could see a non computer savvy person being taken.

Fortunately after marking them for a few weeks this tide has been correctly spam filtered.. usually gmail is pretty good but since they are big the scumbags probably test their emails against the default filters.

Recently get many spams that would have gone to spam filder. In addition to things like "Ace Hardware" they will also have mixtures of weird (ASCII?) symbols in the message. When you mark them as spam they keep showing up bc there are ones with different symbols.

Solutions?
Start a new email address and slowly migrate to it.
First time in my life of almost 30 years online I have one older account I use for junk stuff when I don’t want to give out my family or financial email address that is getting blasted relentlessly as you describe with an incredible amount of junk mail that almost seems it’s coming from one source yet from all different companies and never ends up in junk mail. It started a month or more ago. Maybe two.

What’s weird is that it’s an outlook mailbox and it’s going to the primary folder and my primary mail going to the “other” folder.
I abbe had quite a few outlook email accounts and they are pretty good at staying clean except this one which is one I would give out to things like magazine companies, retail stores stuff like that.

I could care less as I have a lot of email addresses but curious as to what is taking place and how.
Never saw anything like it, relentless and many appear to be phishing emails. I never open them.

Sending to spam is pointless, blocking is also pointless. Right now I have over 1700 junk mails I sent to the folder and Microsoft deletes them every 10 days. IN the past Microsoft, by sending them to junk mail or reporting as fishing would be able to stop them but something different is at play here. There are so many it would be impossible to block and there is something different about how it is happening.

It's never bad idea to change things up and if I were you I would simply create a couple new emails, one for family, one for banking and one for other stuff. When done, dump that mailbox or ignore it or as I am doing, just watching it because I find interesting but no longer use it. I tired to count the number that came in yesterday and gave up, must be around 75 or 100, oh wait, that isnt yesterday, that is today so far and still 6+ hours in the day to go.

Last edited:
I've been getting these nearly identical message spams for months now. Ten Butcher Box messages in a row.
Create a filter that catches "ButcherBox". Guarantee you it won't catch anything legitimate by mistake.

What ever you do, do not click on any links. Gmail is excellent at blocking spam, I presume it's from their vast consumer base and industry leading monitoring, spam detection and blocking software. With such exposure to billions of emails a day they can see where all the links are pointing to, if they are suspicious domains or part of a wider pattern. Rarely does any spam make it through on Gmail. I know people with Yahoo and AOL, oh man AOL is like a junk mail spam service all in one.

Back