Smart Meter - Utility spam, do they really think anyone cares?

Yes, it reports if power is out.

We pulled the meter to do wiring a while back and power company called about it. Borderline upset at us. 🤣

We did that in 2022 to replace the main breaker panel a couple months after I moved in. Had and old Square D split bus panel that was ancient. There wasn't even a seal on it when I moved in and you can tell it was a new meter and SE cable just replaced before we moved in.

They didn't call, but I was gardening out back and seen the West Penn truck slowly drive past the lane besides my house. Said they were checking for tampering and stealing power. Just peeked back the cover, grumbled a little bit, and put a seal on it. Whoops :ROFLMAO:

About 15 years ago I needed to meter pulled to replace siding. I had the power company do it. They did not charge for it. They were very nice about it.
I got a new meter last year and watched the guy replace it. I'm still surprised how it's done and that guy is not getting paid enough.

With our house in Kevil we pay about 10 cents/ kw. at our home in Grand Rivers, KY we are paying about 18 cents/kw. We are in Kevil mostly because our grand daughters are closer there. We use about 500 kw /month in grand rivers and have gas heat and hot water heater and cooking. Gas bill is about $60/mo in winter and electric is just over $100/mo. At our home in Kevil where we live 90% of the time we have propane heat and water heater and cooking, and the electric bill is less than $100/mo and we use twice the electric at around 900-1000kw per mo. The Jackson Purchase electric is in Grand Rivers and Kentucky Utilities is in Kevil,Ky. We have a freezer and refrigerator running at each house. Makes me think I have a cut throat Smart meter at one house.

With our house in Kevil we pay about 10 cents/ kw. at our home in Grand Rivers, KY we are paying about 18 cents/kw. We are in Kevil mostly because our grand daughters are closer there. We use about 500 kw /month in grand rivers and have gas heat and hot water heater and cooking. Gas bill is about $60/mo in winter and electric is just over $100/mo. At our home in Kevil where we live 90% of the time we have propane heat and water heater and cooking, and the electric bill is less than $100/mo and we use twice the electric at around 900-1000kw per mo. The Jackson Purchase electric is in Grand Rivers and Kentucky Utilities is in Kevil,Ky. We have a freezer and refrigerator running at each house. Makes me think I have a cut throat Smart meter at one house.
Different companies are widely different.

My gas line has the aforementioned connect charge of around 45$ and I only have gas furnace.. so 6 months of 0 use.

My electric is almost a straight line with usage and delivery. ie more costs more starting around $10 although there is a new "cost recovery component" of $15
which has recently raised this to near $25
this is the same company embroiled in the bribery fiasco

This "new age" of business operation boggles my mind. It's as if anyone with decent business sense, anyone with a brain for efficient operations has just thrown their hands up and given the reins to every single 27-34 year old who is over-educated and carries a marketing/data analysis degree around.

What you describe - first electronic delivery then US Mail is asinine. It's a clear indication that you nailed it- not many people care. But that's not what the 27-34 crowd sold the company execs on. They sold them a billion-dollar software/hardware package and told them that the customers would LOVE the minute-by-minute interaction they could have with their electrical consumption.

Nah, not really. But the execs questioned the young, have-it-all-figured-out crowd about customer interaction with the new billion-dollar electronic gizmos and the results were less than intriguing.

Now the company has been told to spend $4 for each customer and send a paper letter and envelope to each customer explaining the new, modern electric meter interaction available through an app on their phone.

Again, not many care.

I'm a GA Power customer (well, I am a Southern Company Customer), I have two accounts - one in GA and one in AL. I can see through their website my current usage for the month, current billing for the month, etc. I'm sure Southern Co spent millions telling everyone about that, too. I don't get paper bills anymore from the power, water or cable (Internet) company, nor cell phone. All of that is automatically paid each month, I can look at the bills if I want, which is once or twice a year at most. We don't have mail piling up, having to be opened, thrown away, filed, paid, etc.

So all those meter readers that got laid off didn't offset the cost of the meters?

No way in Hades.

Multi-million dollars in new meters, linemen/electricians swapping them out at each location, some failing and having to be replaced (labor, vehicle, fuel, etc), new software (we all know there is no cheap or easy-to-learn software), hundreds of meetings of $100k+ employees sitting around a conference room table for 18-24 months talking about it for hours and hours, then emails generated, then the paper letters sent out.

Offset that cost by firing 3-4 meter readers who made $46,000 a year including benefits and FICA match?

About 15 years ago they put in new meters that they could read and tell if the power was out or not. Gave you a day by day usage charts. The New smart meter is for future use and better real time data I think.

Smart Meter​

Fixed:
Demand Rate Meter

It allows utilities to do what Wendy's wants to do.
It incentivizes people to better manage power consumption. Reality is there is plenty of capacity less optimal consumption that can be deferred.

Wendy’s is not about that.

So all those meter readers that got laid off didn't offset the cost of the meters?
No, the meter replacement is far more expensive than the labor cost of reading old meters. However, the trend has been to hire meter reading to a contract firm, which one has to assume costs less than having full time employees.

One bonus that utilities found was the new meters are far more sensitive to lower kwh usage than the older meters. For several reasons, many older meters didn’t necessarily pick up all kwh usage for low usage consumers.

For years with our coop before first smart meters, we wrote the meter reading on our bill that sent in with payment. They usually sent someone around once a year to reconcile their records. At the time we had certain programs for reduced rates if the meter reading was at a certain level. Some may have used this to "build up" KWHs....

One bonus that utilities found was the new meters are far more sensitive to lower kwh usage than the older meters. For several reasons, many older meters didn’t necessarily pick up all kwh usage for low usage consumers.

I don't have a smart meter but I do have a modern electronic electricity meter. Out of curiosity I downloaded the specs and was surprised to find that there is a cut of point of 19.2 watts below which it ceases to record consumption. There are led indicators to show when this occurs and I have seen it but only rarely. It's not a free lunch though because the meter itself consumes approx. 8 watts which is 3 times more than the old spinning disc meters consumed. Trivial amounts I know but I found it interesting that there was a deliberate cut off point. I suspect the reason is because they are mandated by law to record to certain accuracy limits and perhaps can't achieve that below a 19.2 watts.

I didn't get laid off (no layoff clause)
They transitioned us into installing/servicing older smart meters
We keep busy until you move on/up in the organization 👀
But yes, the costs of the units and labor is passed onto the customer every 4 years when your utility goes to the PSC for a rate case (ask for more money)

It's still not uncommon to see me walking up and down the street, knocking on doors and yelling Gas Company 🗣️
I will read your meter 😤
Unless you're not home 🙄
Then I'll leave a card, and you will make an appointment 🫡
I'll miss doing it one of these days 🤔

I've never worked at this mythical place where people move up in the organization.

That really stinks - we promote from within approx 70% of the time.

Here's what a smart meter would see / what usage looks like. Blue is solar productivity.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 9.45.32 AM.jpg

It's still not uncommon to see me walking up and down the street, knocking on doors and yelling Gas Company 🗣️
I will read your meter 😤
Unless you're not home 🙄
Then I'll leave a card, and you will make an appointment 🫡
I'll miss doing it one of these days 🤔

Meters on the outside, If I hear you coming I'll ask you if you need something from the fridge or a coffee refill.

I never even realized I had smart gas and electric meters until weekly emails compared consumption week over week. Then as OP mentioned a monthly letter showing how we compared to our neighbors.

Years ago we got $40/mo times 4 to have a device installed on our AC condenser to allow the utility to cycle off the compressor. Then it was $40 per summer and went away altogether.

When I got new hvac in 2020 they ripped the device out. I said can I have that? Will the utility know it’s been ripped out? The installer said yes, and no they won’t. I threw it in the shed in case they ever ask for it back.

Back