Sound Deadening Replacement

I wouldn’t install anything there. The area obviously gets wet and grimy. You don’t want anything in there that can trap moisture. The material itself may not absorb moisture, but it can still trap it in some way between itself and the metal.

I agree with KrisZ. What kind of undercoating were you using, OP? Stay away from the rubberized stuff, it does more harm than good.

I would avoid any form of insulation there. Instead, coat with a wicking, waxy, corrosion inhibiting compound to ensure a long lifespan. Consider heating with a heat lamp, prior to application.

A favorite:

41EpsjX2RdL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The car was dismantled for undercoating. SEE HERE. I use Lanogaurd at the moment which is a British made Woolwax style product. Although may look for alternatives as I used 6 litres on the Duster and which comes at a cost of over £100.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll pop the Dynamat on the internal side of the arch. I've done ~200miles since removing the pillow and other than a few whistles and whines that I *think* are louder, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

I'm very reluctant to install anything on the external side of the arch for the same reasons I removed the factory pillows. I really do think a wet absorbent pillow sitting in an arch is just going to harbour rust.

The car was dismantled for undercoating. SEE HERE. I use Lanogaurd at the moment which is a British made Woolwax style product. Although may look for alternatives as I used 6 litres on the Duster and which comes at a cost of over £100.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll pop the Dynamat on the internal side of the arch. I've done ~200miles since removing the pillow and other than a few whistles and whines that I *think* are louder, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

I'm very reluctant to install anything on the external side of the arch for the same reasons I removed the factory pillows. I really do think a wet absorbent pillow sitting in an arch is just going to harbour rust.
I agree 100% absolutely! That's crazy that the oem puts that in there to act as a sponge and keep the metal wet! Planned rusting? wow.. Dynamat should prevent any moisture from getting to the metal.

Resonix makes a product that is a great replacement for this. Check out their Resonix fiber mat 45 automotive sound absorber material. It is used for applications just like this.

Back