Sometimes I think upper tier is overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARB1977
With preferred pricing Amsoil comes a little more than Mobil One purchased at regular price at auto zone and pep boys...at least near me.

Which is always how it is worded by individuals promoting the brand, but who buys Mobil 1 at Autozone or Pep Boys at "regular price"? It is a disingenuous comparison at best, especially when the flip side is that it's being compared to Amsoil's preferred pricing which requires a membership fee.

If you are referencing the discounted price of Amsoil then it should be compared to the discounted price of the competition, such as at Walmart.

Modern oils are very good. As long as you use an oil that meets the certifications required by your car's manufacturer and change it at a reasonable interval you will be fine. Even if you bought the cheapest gas station oil you could find and changed it every 5000 miles that would still be better than the average car owner who changes it "when they remember".

Originally Posted by kschachn
With preferred pricing Amsoil comes a little more than Mobil One purchased at regular price at auto zone and pep boys...at least near me.

Which is always how it is worded by individuals promoting the brand, but who buys Mobil 1 at Autozone or Pep Boys at "regular price"? It is a disingenuous comparison at best, especially when the flip side is that it's being compared to Amsoil's preferred pricing which requires a membership fee.

If you are referencing the discounted price of Amsoil then it should be compared to the discounted price of the competition, such as at Walmart.

Spot on!!! The truth is how many people on Bitog are paying full pop retail for their oil? Many of us are constantly looking for deals and rebates, build a stash, and when the stash starts running down look for deals. Funny thing is there is always a deal somewhere on oil and filters, several members don't stock pile oil and buy as needed when on sale. I don't have to pay a membership fee to get a deal either, just spend $35 and have WMT ship it free, or look for deals elsewhere.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with Amsoil, if you like it use it. When talking prices do a fair comparison.

The issue with Amsoil is the MLM component and the lack of approvals.

I agree.

Mobil 1 jugs, at least the basic good stuff, cost right around $22.88 for 5 quart jugs with little variation. And yes I see the 0W-30 there too now.

Supertech costs as little as $12.88 a jug, sometimes less for closeout 15W-40 and other oils fall generally between this spread, sometimes more for Pennzoil ? and then they even have Royal Purple on the shelves for much more money and yes that stuff just sits there. M1 AP costs more like $40 though that does not seem the focus of this.

Not promoting AMSOIL. I know it's not very liked around here. Even at Walmart it can cost over 30.00 when you buy an additional qrt. I pay right around the same maybe a little more for Amsoil XL. The only down fall is anything over 100.00 gets free shipping. On the other hand a case can last me a year if not more.

Folks getting M1 or PP and then a rebate almost need to wear a ski mask when they grab that jug
Huge gap between that on the shelf super deal and boutique prices

There's two major groups on here.

1. Those that want to find the cheapest oil out there that'll meet the bare minimum for their engine's needs and stretch the OCI as long as possible. Usually those in this group will trade their car in before they put 100k miles on it so any oil related concerns are the next guy's problem.

2. Those that want to find the best protecting oil money can buy. They use the site to research what defines these oils. They usually drive their vehicles until the wheels fall off and seek to extend the engine's life as long as possible.

I'm firmly in group 2, but we are the overhwhelming minority.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

1. Those that want to find the cheapest oil out there that'll meet the bare minimum for their engine's needs and stretch the OCI as long as possible. Usually those in this group will trade their car in before they put 100k miles on it so any oil related concerns are the next guy's problem.

2. Those that want to find the best protecting oil money can buy. They use the site to research what defines these oils. They usually drive their vehicles until the wheels fall off and seek to extend the engine's life as long as possible.

I'm firmly in group 2, but we are the overwhelming minority.

The problem comes in as to how you define "best protecting oil money can buy." What criteria are you employing to determine that? Documented performance by approvals, standards and licenses or marketing language on a blender's website and undocumented opinion? That's not a harsh comparison, it's just the way it is.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
That's one thing I don't do is tell people how to spend their money.

THIS ^^^

I don't know why some here get so upset when others spend THEIR money the way THEY see fit.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I don't know why some here get so upset when others spend THEIR money the way THEY see fit.

Because it is often framed as if it is a technical decision but without any supporting facts.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Because it is often framed as if it is a technical decision but without any supporting facts.

Funny. This was duscussed in the "Is Liquimoly overrated?" thread over in the Euro sub-forum. I flat out admit I choose what I do because I like it and like supporting the vendor knowing there are other cheaper choices that provide the same. But yes you are right for some folks.

1. Those that want to find the cheapest oil out there that'll meet the bare minimum for their engine's needs....
If automaker says "use an oil that meets API SN specs" and brand "x" oil of a suitable viscosity has been approved by API as meeting "SN" specs, it's 100% suitable oil. It's not the "bare minimum". Anything beyond "SN" specs isn't necessary. Plus, who determines anything add'l makes it "better" ?

I'm group 2 all the way. That's why I run what I feel is the best oil money can buy based on the specs it meets. See sig line. I still don't change it early though. No advantage and evidence points to the fact that changing oil early is actually detrimental

The problem comes in as to how you define "best protecting oil money can buy." What criteria are you employing to determine that? Documented performance by approvals, standards and licenses or marketing language on a blender's website and undocumented opinion? That's not a harsh comparison, it's just the way it is.

The criteria I use is simply the specs it meets. Eliminates emotion and feelings. I could care less about Toyota's spec...it's the same as my lawn mowers. Give a good ole MB or Porsche spec. That pops my teepee every time

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
No advantage and evidence points to the fact that changing oil early is actually detrimental

What does that mean? Define early and detrimental..

(say for example my owners manual says change the oil every 3750 miles for severe service despite the fact that the oil is known for being capable of doing 5k miles or more, am I doing "detrimental" things to my engine (by following the manual)?

Last edited:

That's the easy part. Time/Miles-in-service is always a component of oil performance. The automaker certs almost always include a long-drain interval as a requirement. The disconnect occurs when people think a "high performance" oil on a 3k mile OCI performs better than conventional at that same interval.

Last edited:

I'm group 2 all the way. That's why I run what I feel is the best oil money can buy based on the specs it meets. See sig line. I still don't change it early though. No advantage and evidence points to the fact that changing oil early is actually detrimental

I underlined what I feel are the operative words. I also use what I feel is the best money can buy. The problem comes in when people try and force their beliefs on other people. FTR I'm not saying that is the case with you, that's not the case. I recall in the not so distant past, several times in fact, that there were people [censored] bent on trying to convince others certain oils were the best, with little facts or documentation to back it up. I feel many of the boutique oils are over hyped and over rated, but who cares what I think. I can count on one hand whose opinions on what oil to use matters on this board. After the counting is done there may even be a finger or two remaining.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
No advantage and evidence points to the fact that changing oil early is actually detrimental

What does that mean? Define early and detrimental..

(say for example my owners manual says change the oil every 3750 miles for severe service despite the fact that the oil is known for being capable of doing 5k miles or more, am I doing "detrimental" things to my engine (by following the manual)?

This is often cited here but it is based on a flawed singular paper. Shannow has discussed it in the past but I can't find his comments at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back