Something New Now Ebay is doing! {We automatically charged your PayPal account for this purchase}

I regularly both buy and sell on Ebay, although less so the latter now as the fees have gone nuts and I can get just as good of prices without the headaches elsewhere.

I have only seen the forced autopay come up in one specific scenario. It only has ever shown up for me when I've made an offer, and the autopay occurs if the seller accepts my offer exactly as stated. If they choose to counter, I still have the opportunity to accept their counter(then pay) or further counter.

Also, you are NOT required to use Paypal-you can have Ebay process your credit card

I just went through, for purposes of this thread, and started(but did not complete) a best offer for an item I've been looking at. Paypal is my default payment method, so here's what I see after entering the offer amount

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 6.20.30 AM.jpg

Note that I can click "change" next to payment method, and I'm presented with this screen

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 6.20.41 AM.jpg

I don't have a problem with all of this. If you're interested enough in an item to make an offer, you should have no problem completing the sale. If you need more information, find it out(ask) before making an offer. As a seller, it's incredibly frustrating to spend the time going back and forth on offers only to accept and not have the buyer pay.

I have yet to see this occur on regular bids made on auctions.

When putting items up for sale, eBay has a selection to allow offers. I don't use it.

But sometimes Ebay allows offers anyway. Hassle process as a seller, IMHO.
I think allow offers is the default? I always have to turn it off but miss it sometimes. I agree on it being a hassle.

Back