Something New Now Ebay is doing! {We automatically charged your PayPal account for this purchase}

Made a "make offer" later on. I checked my email "Your Item has shipped" WTH? Apparently, my offer was accepted. Now they automatically charge you. Not a problem, I was fixing to pay for it. I just thought it was sort of odd! I wonder if they had trouble with people making and offer, then not paying?

they will get less business from me + i DO NOT like pay pal unless really necessary for something i really want + cant buy elsewhere!!

wow.. talk about forcing the sale.. guess if ya make an offer better be prepared to buy it!

wow.. talk about forcing the sale.. guess if ya make an offer better be prepared to buy it!
Yeah I thought it was sort of forward of them. Like how do they know how you wanted to pay for one thing.
I guess I'm okay with it though because I generally use PayPal anyways.
Actually though according to their terms and conditions they say if you make an offer and it's accepted you are obligated to purchase the item.
Can they legally do that I don't know.

Yeah I thought it was sort of forward of them. Like how do they know how you wanted to pay for one thing.
Actually though according to their terms and conditions they say if you make an offer and it's accepted you are obligated to purchase the item.
Claiming something and it being legal can be two different things. But I can see their point they're saying in their terms that you ask for it at a certain price, the seller agrees, bam.. it's sold. That way it doesn't waste anyone's time if the buyer said "lol.. just kidding" to the make an offer..

You know.. I'm thinking that imagine if someone makes an offer, seller agrees, but then the buyer comes back to haggle it down even further. Maybe this "you offer, you buy it" sort of thing removes that haggling.

Guaranteed they can-- read the terms and conditions, it's in there. I just received an updated Paypal terms and agreement today, which I gave a cursory glance to. Did you read it? Bet most people don't.

And why would one want to make an offer if they didn't want to buy it? This streamlines the process and keeps people from reneging on the offer later on.

Hasn't Ebay ditched Paypal for all intents and purposes unless Paypal is your preferred payment method? Pretty sure they process outside of Paypal for normal credit/debit purchases. These days the only thing I use Paypal for is if I'm making a major purchase and want to take advantage of the zero interest promos-- keeps my money in the bank collecting interest for 6 or 12 months, and then I pay the balance off before the promo period expires.

Ebay should have done this years ago. Why make an offer if you don't plan on buying it? Just to jerk people around? Ebay isn't Facebook thank goodness. Love all the people on FB that offer you $50 for your $100 item, and when you say OK, they never reply back.

From eBay
IMG_2315.jpeg

As an (infrequent) seller on ebay, it's super annoying when someone makes an offer, I accept and then I get an email asking for the sale to be canceled. I don't list or sell that much a year but it has happened a few times this year.

Hmm, not sure what to think. When I place a bid on ebay, I know I'm stating I will buy at that price. BUT I'm not expecting that offer to stand indefinitely. After the auction is over, I'm expecting my offer to be null, even if the auction is a no-sale (reserve not met).

Make an offer? To me, that does sound like I'm I'm haggling. I can make an offer, if the other person says "ok"... I could still walk. There's a moment IN PERSON where I can mull it over. Should online be different than in person haggling?

Interesting development though. As long as I know the timeout for an offer, I could see myself ok with this. Like, my offer is good for a week. If accepted, I'm obligated to buy it--but that has to be stated clearly up front. If that is what "make offer is", then I don't mind it--as a fully informed bidder.

It doesn’t bother me much. However I used to buy lots on eBay and now it’s my absolute last resort can’t get it anywhere else. Maybe a couple times a year at this point.

Where I can see it being a real issue is if you weren’t planning to use you default funding source.

It doesn’t bother me much. However I used to buy lots on eBay and now it’s my absolute last resort can’t get it anywhere else. Maybe a couple times a year at this point.

Where I can see it being a real issue is if you weren’t planning to use you default funding source.
Right, No I'm OK with it. I had just never seen it before.
Ebay is not the bargain it once was!

Hmm, not sure what to think. When I place a bid on ebay, I know I'm stating I will buy at that price. BUT I'm not expecting that offer to stand indefinitely. After the auction is over, I'm expecting my offer to be null, even if the auction is a no-sale (reserve not met).

Make an offer? To me, that does sound like I'm I'm haggling. I can make an offer, if the other person says "ok"... I could still walk. There's a moment IN PERSON where I can mull it over. Should online be different than in person haggling?

Interesting development though. As long as I know the timeout for an offer, I could see myself ok with this. Like, my offer is good for a week. If accepted, I'm obligated to buy it--but that has to be stated clearly up front. If that is what "make offer is", then I don't mind it--as a fully informed bidder.
I'm 99% sure that all offers have a 24 or 48 hr time limit, I forget which. That works for offers and counteroffers too.

I saw that.

When I make an offer to buy something that’s not an auction and for less than their buy it low price, I’m ok with it. It makes the offer more serious, and forces the seller to consider it more closely since they can have bird in hand or two in the bush.

What I don’t like is they extended this to auctions.

I saw that.

When I make an offer to buy something that’s not an auction and for less than their buy it low price, I’m ok with it. It makes the offer more serious, and forces the seller to consider it more closely since they can have bird in hand or two in the bush.

What I don’t like is they extended this to auctions.
I'm pretty sure, as soon as someone places a bid, the best offer goes away though.

I'm 99% sure that all offers have a 24 or 48 hr time limit, I forget which. That works for offers and counteroffers too.
Right. If the Item is XX1 and I offer XX2 and the seller accepts, I have to buy it.
If I offer XX2 and the seller refuses, and counters with XX3 and I don't want to pay that much, I can counteroffer again.
If I let the counteroffer run out, eBay can't make me buy it in this case.

No I mean if I bid on an item in an auction they’re now saying they’ll automatically bill me.
No, you have that wrong. Just bidding on something wont generate a bill. Only if you submit an offer. And before you do, you will see a notice that your payment method may be charged if it's accepted.

Back