Something crazy happened at the gas pump last night

Shell has various discount programs, including one that gives 50 cent a gallon discounts for a limited number of purchases. When you insert a card that has a discount associated with it, the price rolls back on the pump before you start pumping your fuel.

Does that Shell have a deal with a local sportsball team? The Shells here give an extra .25/gal off when the *checks notes* Rams play that day.

Shell has various discount programs, including one that gives 50 cent a gallon discounts for a limited number of purchases. When you insert a card that has a discount associated with it, the price rolls back on the pump before you start pumping your fuel.
Im pretty sure I used my Citi Card but good point. My Citi Card is 2% cash bank on everything, no promotions. Read below

Ok, so get this, we checked all our charge cards in case I didn't use the one I always use, which I know I did. Its a 2% cash back, never saw a promo for that card but ...
There is no charge for the gasoline. I'll continue to watch over the next couple business days all our cards.

@Kira
@Danno

I had that happen at Shell with my CAA card. I thought I just collected CAA dollars, but I was getting a discount on gas too each time. I even asked about it and it took a few times for the cashier to figure it out too, lol...

I would guess the OP photographed another pump, after walking over to make sure he'd seen the original price correctly.

Both photos are of the same pump...you can tell by the scratches on the yellow paint below the 89 octane selection button. He probably took the upper photo after completing his gas purchase after taking the lower photo earlier.

Both photos are of the same pump...you can tell by the scratches on the yellow paint below the 89 octane selection button. He probably took the upper photo after completing his gas purchase after taking the lower photo earlier.
Reasonable - I guess the prices reset after a discount so as to not irk the next user who doesn't get a discount.

Might you have a Shell rewards card and don't know it?
No, same 2% cash back Citi card. AS of right now, no gasoline purchase showed up on my charge card two days later. I suspect maybe someone at th booth signed up for something, like a shell card? Maybe by mistake they then activated the wrong pump and I got my gas?
Dont know.

Hmmm…. why would you take a photo beforehand (IMG_5474.JPG) if you didn’t know the price discount (IMG_5475.JPG) would happen? 🧐
Like HELLO?
Because I regularly post the low price of gas on BITOG that we pay here in the Carolinas for my west coast friends.
Try doing a search if you can of my massive amount of posts, I bet you find one or two dozen or more over the last 10 years.

Sorry but took this post personally like you and some other people ignorant about my posts are insinuating something.
and BTW read some of the others posts for an explanation, simple analysis of the photos show its the same pump.

Thank you, exactly right. Anyone who knows my posts in here know I have taken MANY photos of our low gas prices and posted them on BITOG. Heck I mean, maybe dozens over ten years, even in the latest EV thread because gas is so expensive on the West Coast. Actually any discussion on gas prices you will maybe see a photo of our low prices taken by me.

SO for others (not you)
I got excited once again! Shell gas under $3 a gallon this past weekend, took a photo of $2.97 to post on BITOG. Then as the gas is filling in the car I look at the pump and think what the heck is going on? How can it be $2.47 and snapped another photo.

NO deception here ... ;)

Did you do the math to calc actual price per gallon?
Final charge /many gallons were pumped?
ABSOLUTELY !!!
I was in such disbelief I brought up the calculator on the my iPhone. Still trying to figure out how, (I post a theory a few posts up)
Not only that, but still in disbelief I opened the passenger side door where my wife was and had her do it on her iPhone too! *LOL*
To further assure those in here. I pretty much routinely pull up a calculator at the pump, by no means all the time but pretty frequently as we had my wife's Mazda and I like to compare MPGs to when I use my SUV and also my motorcycle. My wife's Mazda gets just short of the MPGs as my Harley! *LOL*

AS of yesterday I still had no charge on my credit card. I think maybe something got messed up between my pump and someone else who was getting 50 cents off a gallon for some promo? Maybe even a mistake by the clerk? I dont know. I do believe there has to be an explanation.

Edit, well, out the window goes that explanation. Charge showed up on my card, so its not like someone else paid for my gas at $2.47
Guess it was some kind of snafu in the Software. I was going to "test" it that evening by taking my truck but the station isnt exactly around the corner from me.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 10.20.18 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I pretty much routinely pull up a calculator at the pump, by no means all the time but pretty frequently as we had my wife's Mazda and I like to compare MPGs to when I use my SUV and also my motorcycle. My wife's Mazda gets just short of the MPGs as my Harley! *LOL*
When much younger I used to keep a small slide-rule in the glovebox to crunch gas mileage. (Just in case anyone was doubting my nerd credentials.)

Back