Are You Getting What You Paid For At The Gas Pump

The price on the pump is where the legally binding Offer and Acceptance of the deal occurs. When you press one of the grade buttons, the prices for all the other grades should go blank. Always double check the price before putting any in your car.

Last edited:
What I often see is a difference between the price posted at the sign in the driveway, versus the price on the pump itself. The sign price is always lower. Wonder why?

I've only double checked a gas pump a few times before but today i checked one that was $3.29 and found they charged me $4.29 a gallon . I went in and got a $7 refund . How often has that happened to you ?
To the best of my knowledge, a $1/gallon difference has never happened to me in 35 years of driving.

It's not a scam to charge more for a credit card. A credit card eats in to the profit margin of ANY RETAILER.

Everyone uses a credit card these days especially at a gas pump, a cost of doing business. The electric bill cuts into the profit margin too.

Everyone uses a credit card these days especially at a gas pump, a cost of doing business. The electric bill cuts into the profit margin too.
True....but it is not uncommon at least in Utah and Idaho to see one price listed for cash and another for credit at gas stations.

I've only double checked a gas pump a few times before but today i checked one that was $3.29 and found they charged me $4.29 a gallon . I went in and got a $7 refund . How often has that happened to you ?
I would like to see a pic of both the huge sign posted to traffic and the numbers affixed to 87 - 89 -93 octane at the handle.
Plus, does this place advertise car washes and how buying a car wash can save us money at the gas pump?

I never buy gas at car wash places and I always buy enough fuel to register 10 gallons. Whatever the price is at 10 gallons is easiest to determine, if we are being robbed at the gas pump.

$32.99 at exactly 10 gallons
means
$3.29 per gallon.

There is a HUGE problem out there. Many pumps have LCD displays that are fading and hard to read.... and guess what, THE PUMPS ARE NO LONGER SUPPORTED, NO NOS SPARE PARTS OR EVEN REPLACEMENTS. So when the sun is low and shining on the pump display, it is impossible to read.

The only solution, replace the entire pump unit. Small stations can´t do this economically.

Plus, does this place advertise car washes and how buying a car wash can save us money at the gas pump?
No car wash ...... yeah those gas stations / car washes post the price in large numbers and post w / car wash in small letters can get ya .

You haven't lived until you've pumped gas at a Circle K at midnight
I guess you are referring to the street people out at midnight, etc. In Beaumont TX I used to gas up at 3:30am at an XOM on I-10. It was in a moderately bad area, but made logistical sense for me. Panhandlers, drug addicts and vagrants don't scare me, but there was some thugs about at times. People would cautiously drive up and see no one around the pumps, and think its safe to start the fill up.

The street people played a game of hiding around the corner of the building in the dark. Once the hose was in and flowing, then they would come out and start hitting people up for money, since then they are effectively trapped. I had to be pretty firm telling them to get lost. I don't have much patience with it all.

True....but it is not uncommon at least in Utah and Idaho to see one price listed for cash and another for credit at gas stations.
Our (Canadian based) fuel stations discount by 10-15¢ if you join their program which basically debits your bank account. Cash mostly gets a discount, although oddly my 17 yo daughter paid cash in tips($5-$7/hr) gets odd responses when she pulls out wads of it at convience stores to pay for fuel and other items.

Reactions: CKN
Yesterday I was getting gas (full service in NJ), and all the pumps at the station shut off.

This was at Costco. It must have taken over 5 min for the pumps to become operational again. Many waited as most fill up there.

In checking the Cc authorizations, both transactions add up to the two fills if you will. Be curious to know how they don’t lose financial info when this happens.

Btw they did need the Cc again on the 2nd transaction.

Back