someone else changed my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first car 47 years ago. No one but me has ever changed the oil on any of my vehicles. I plan to be crawling under them when I'm 90, and loosening the drain plug with an impact wrench and tightening it with a torque wrench. If I get to where I can't, I'll go to my niece's house and make her husband do it while I keep an eagle eye on him. LOL

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

It feels weird to trust people.

BITOG membership compliance states you dont. Make sure you check the oil level and the filter,drain plug for snugness

AND do all of this in the shop parking lot before you drive away and it's too late to catch a screw up.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Colorado service today.

Am stuck with the lease and Holden's fixed price service...

I've personally drained every drop out of my own vehicles since 1985, and my families car before that...

Lease or no lease, you simply can't allow this ! That poor engine deserves better ! You immediately need to purchase the proper filter and proper weight and spec oil and get that oil and filter that they used out .... NOW. There's 99% certainty they slapped on whatever filter "looked close" and used their garbage, bulk oil whether it is the correct oil or not. They probably didn't put in the right amount nor torque the drain plug properly either.

Please update us as quickly as possible. Some won't be able to sleep tonight over this.

A leased vehicle under warranty?
Let them have at it.
Any problems belong to them and not you.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Let them have at it.

The arrangements down here are different...it's a "Novated" lease through my employer and a finance company.

In 5 years time, I'm obliged to make a balloon payment and own it...same as I did with my Nissan.

'cept the Nissan was with a different company, and the indy workshops were OK...So I did the oil and filter, and let the indy crawl under and do the diffs and belts and the balance of the service.

Because technically the finance company owns the car, I've got to use Holden's fixed price service.

I wish you guys could all come to me for an oil change - I'd make sure you all leave nervous wrecks.

I so safety inspections too, cars and motorcycles....and that includes a road test, but not compulsory on a motorcycle. Someone offers me a ride on their bike, I often decline. If they take the legs apart, arms crossed stance, and say - ''No body rides my bike but me!'' Then it's ''Sorry mate, no ride, no sticker.'' Cars come with buttons that need to be pressed...customers have them too.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Cars come with buttons that need to be pressed...customers have them too.

I like that
wink.gif

Let them have at it.

The arrangements down here are different...it's a "Novated" lease through my employer and a finance company.

In 5 years time, I'm obliged to make a balloon payment and own it...same as I did with my Nissan.

'cept the Nissan was with a different company, and the indy workshops were OK...So I did the oil and filter, and let the indy crawl under and do the diffs and belts and the balance of the service.

I was wondering if you'd explain that leasing here isn't quite the same as in the US...now I think you should go into a highly detailed explanation of the income tax benefits a novated lease can provide
smile.gif

I feel your pain, I go through the same thing with our Outlander every service. I'm done using the dealer though - they've cocked up both services so far. I'll be using a local independent in future, with the blessing of Mitsubishi Australia. Lease company don't mind who services it, they'll pay the bill regardless.

Because technically the finance company owns the car, I've got to use Holden's fixed price service.

Last edited:
I work for an automotive repair facility and have access to their lifts & tools, but I still often pay one of the technicians to change my oil. It's just a matter of convenience to not have to stay behind after business hours or come in on a Saturday. Besides, even our 'rookie' techs are competent enough to perform an oil change, as they should be.

Let them have at it.

Wow!
This sounds like the worst of all possible worlds.
Any tax benefits would have to be very significant for this to make any sense, but since you're a smart guy I'll assume that they are.

Tax benefits are significant -the Australian tax system is a very complicated beast. With a novated lease, nearly all the costs of the vehicle, including maintenance, registration, insurance and fuel are paid out of your pre-tax salary, effectively reducing your taxable income by many thousands of dollars per year. For higher income earners, that means you end up in a lower tax bracket, which is obviously advantageous.

Yes, it's the only way that I'd end up in a new car...was going to explain it, but now have the time.

A lease car can be arranged through your employer, at which point it becomes a "Fringe Benefit", rather than income per se, and attracts "Fringe Benefits Tax"...

Fringe Benefits tax was introduced when it was realised that high fliers were packaging their salary in pre-tax benefits, and the govt wanted a slice. The politicians, who by their nature receive an extraordinary amount of fringe benefits wanted it taxed, but didn't want to pay it, so introduced it as a tax paid by the employer for benefits they provide to employees...

FBT is set at 25% rather than the sliding scale that tops out at 45% (don't worry, I'm not there) +2% medicare, +2% budget repair levy for those over $180k.

For us plebs, the employer is often willing to participate in a Novated Lease Vehicle provided you pay the FBT yourself...tax office doesn't care where that money comes from, so the lease company organise a pre-tax payment, and a post tax payment on the income that now remains after that pre-tax payment...

Goes into an account, which covers everything for the next 5 years, lease payments, insurances and rego, fuel card, tyres and maintenance...buy a bottle of armorall, and get a refund...then a 25% residual at the end and keep the car.

This makes sense then.
Still, you must have really high marginal brackets at upper middle class income levels for this scheme to work out favorably.
To get to a 25% effective rate here would require an income high enough that the after tax cost of a car would be of no concern, but we have a boatload of deductions and credits that you probably don't enjoy.
Our top rate on personal income would be AMT at 28%.
AMT is Alternative Minimum Tax and many of us with decent family incomes have to calculate it and pay the greater of it or taxes calculated after deductions and credits.

fdcg27, yes, we pay higher income tax than most other countries do. It's somewhat annoying that the harder you work, the more tax you pay, largely to support those who don't work...

So a novated lease is one way to reduce your taxes, while purchasing a new vehicle and having its running costs taken care of for the duration of the lease. I know people who never actually own their cars, just roll over into a new novated lease at the expiration.

Last edited:

Hi Shannow, I've heard that the guy in the vid below recently got job at your local Holden dealership.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
I did the dirty and had Subaru do some services on my Forester. Only to keep the silly logbooks sporadically filled with dealer stamps to keep future numpty buyers somewhat happy.

Every time I've ever sold a car, some tyre kicker asks, oh so you're a mechanic then?! As if changing fluids and simple parts on a car is some sort of magical ability that you need special training for. Subaru don't even give details on the oil they used. As many placed don't. "Quality Havoline oil", no grade, amount used or info about synthetic or mineral.

That video uart posted... wow. Nice find LOL (skip to the red disclaimer for the action part).

Originally Posted By: KL31
That video uart posted... wow. Nice find LOL (skip to the red disclaimer for the action part).

I've got to admit that I just "lifted" that video from another thread here where someone recently linked to to. Yeah I was laughing so hard watching that, it's funny as heck as long as it's not your car that he's working on.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back