Sold my truck. What to do with my Castrol 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: vintageant
Just curious, has anybody ever suffered engine failure for using the wrong oil maintained at the right level and changed at the correct OCI?
That's a good question. But more likely, is that POSSIBLY your engine won't last as long. But that may be 299k miles, as compared to 300k miles. There are too many variables.

Problem is, you have some that will insist that it will fail sooner since one didn't follow the proper specs. They have no proof, of course....

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Didn't that 1.5l DIT engine in the Malibu get recalled for LSPI? I think GM said at the time of the recall to only use AC Delco oil in it in the US and M1 in Canada.

I'd be very careful what I put in that thing, the Castrol might be A-OK but who knows. That's the one I'd stick to dexos1 Gen 2 for if at all possible...I doubt the 2.4l NA motor is going to be too picky, sounds like a better candidate for the Castrol.

Hey, I looked it up and the OPer started the thread about the recall!

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4331368/Stochastic_Pre-Ignition_(SPI)_

Thanks for clearing out the cobwebs. It was good to reread the recall info that I posted Looks like I'll use the GC in the Equinox but stick with DEXOS in the Malibu.

I can't believe no one said, that your vehicles aren't required to have Dexos 1 Gen. 2. That only starts with the 2018 model years. Dexos 1 Gen. 1 is what is required.

Originally Posted By: NH73
I can't believe no one said, that your vehicles aren't required to have Dexos 1 Gen. 2. That only starts with the 2018 model years. Dexos 1 Gen. 1 is what is required.

If you read the recall notice for the Malibu with the 1.5l DIT, one particular AC Delco oil was specified for cars in the US (and a M1 for Canada) due to LSPI issues.
I don't know that it has happened, but I would guess that the next step would be to allow an dexos1 Gen 2 oil. I believe that GM has to supply the oil for free as long as they specify one particular product (which is probably cheaper for them than replacing lots of engines, anyway).

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Just curious, has anybody ever suffered engine failure for using the wrong oil maintained at the right level and changed at the correct OCI?

If your engine is damaged by LSPI, you'll never know for sure if the oil you used was a major factor or not.
Plenty of Forester XTs and WRXs got new engines from the Subaru LSPI recall...

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Is it BMW LL-01 rated?

Sounds like some BITOG people have been having trouble finding properly rated motor oil for their BMWs. If you were in Canada I'd be interested in some of it.

If he was in Canada, I would buy all of it.

It's a fairly universal oil. I'd use it in anything not under warranty if using it would be considered out-of-spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Is it BMW LL-01 rated?

Sounds like some BITOG people have been having trouble finding properly rated motor oil for their BMWs. If you were in Canada I'd be interested in some of it.

If he was in Canada, I would buy all of it.

If he was in Pittsburgh I would buy all of it.

If the Ca Mg ratio is less than 2:1 it also could be used in your TGDI with minimal risk, probably a much better motor oil than any API ILSAC DEXOS eco swill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back