So, what's everyone using now in place of Dex III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4l60E's have responded well in the past to Pennzoil YB, Castrol, Valvoline and Supertech Dex III's. They are very picky when it comes to anything else I've tried in them.

So realizing that one day it will be impossible to find any fully DEX III spec'd fluid (indeed the only ones I can find on the shelves here are Coastal and Valvoline) I decided to try the Castrol All-makes ATF. My results are dissapointing.

What have you guys been using in place of Dex III in your older GM transmissions? Thoughts, opinions?

some of us just use universal atf from Amsoil and not sweat all the crazy changes. 4l60e is a expensive complicated transmission with tons and tons of aftermarket fixes for poorly designed GM parts, here is a catalog that I use to repair these units when people dont change the fluid http://www.sonnax.com/request_catalog.php
you have to request the catalog, only professionals need apply here

Originally Posted By: SLJ2137694
DEXRON VI replaces all other DEXRON fluids in GM automatic transmissions. It is far superior to the old DEXRON III.

I believe you, but wasn't the 4l60E one of the original "non-compliant" transmissions that GM didn't re-spec for Dex VI? I know not all GM transmissions can use Dex VI, or is GM now saying that they re-formulated the product so that ALL former GM AT's can use Dex VI?

BTW, I see it took you almost two years to make your first post. Congratulations!
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
4L60E is not 'spec'd' for Dex 6. The Dex 3 spec is no longer supported by GM, so you will see ATF with some letters followed by the number 3 from various mfgrs. IMO, a very good fluid for your trans is the Chevron MD III. Very good quality product and it is cheap and available just about everywhere. Has some grp III in it too.

I've had no complaints with the Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF spec'd for Dex III. kingrob what are your disappointing results with it? My dad is using is trouble free in his 04 Sierra. I'm out of bottles of Valvoline Dex III, so if I change the fluid this spring, looks like I might have to give it a try too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buffman
I've had no complaints with the Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF spec'd for Dex III. kingrob what are your disappointing results with it? My dad is using is trouble free in his 04 Sierra. I'm out of bottles of Valvoline Dex III, so if I change the fluid this spring, looks like I might have to give it a try too.

Just a general underwhelming performance. Rough upshifts, dang near jarring downshifts. Was MUCH smoother with the Supertech Dex III drained out of it. I had the same performance from Maxlife Dex III and M1 DIII.

Originally Posted By: JDD
4L60E is not 'spec'd' for Dex 6. ..............

Starting in 2006 the 4L60E in the Trailblazer was factory filled and spec'd for DEX VI. It is also now back spec'd for the previous years also.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: JDD
4L60E is not 'spec'd' for Dex 6. ..............

Starting in 2006 the 4L60E in the Trailblazer was factory filled and spec'd for DEX VI. It is also now back spec'd for the previous years also.

Thanks for clearing that up Hootbro.

Quote:
Try Schaeffer's 204? It's supposed to still meet the Dex-III spec.

Never tried it before. I've head good luck with Schaeffers products before, so that may be an option.

Any possible side effects if switching to a full synthetic on these transmissions? I do the filter/pan drop method so I lose a little less than half of the old fluid each time. Hence the fill would be about 9 quarts old stock vs. 7 quarts new stock.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Originally Posted By: SLJ2137694
DEXRON VI replaces all other DEXRON fluids in GM automatic transmissions. It is far superior to the old DEXRON III.

I believe you, but wasn't the 4l60E one of the original "non-compliant" transmissions that GM didn't re-spec for Dex VI? I know not all GM transmissions can use Dex VI, or is GM now saying that they re-formulated the product so that ALL former GM AT's can use Dex VI?

BTW, I see it took you almost two years to make your first post. Congratulations!
welcome2.gif

The following article is from TECH Link dated May 2007. TECH Link is sent to all GM Dealers every month.

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI.

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to Angela Willis

Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.

This part is interesting.

" .... Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components...... "

"Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” "

I don't get.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
"Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” "

I don't get.

It makes good sense that GM won't recommend a fluid they no longer license. That doesn't mean it won't work but you are putting your faith in the company selling the fluid versus the OEM of the transmission. I don't think I'd hesitiate to use some of those fluids, especially Amsoil but I don't expect GM to recommend it.

To the original poster, I have a 4L60E in my '96 Buick wagon and I've been using GM Vehicle Care Dex VI for about 1.5 years now. I've probably put 15-20k miles on it and this summer have done a lot of towing as well. It seems to work well under all conditions and I plan to stick with Dex VI although I'll buy whatever brand I can get the best price on. Previously the GM branded fluid was cheapest from gmpartsdirect.com compared to buying any other brand locally at a parts store. I might try the Supertech Dex VI once it is available where I live. I have yet to see it on the Walmart shelves.

I also use Dex VI in my '01 Grand Prix with the 4T65E and it seems to be working great there also. I was using Mobil 1 ATF in the Grand Prix before and I can't tell the difference.

The following article is from TECH Link dated May 2007. TECH Link is sent to all GM Dealers every month.
Quote:

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI.

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to Angela Willis

Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.

wow instead of reading all that big oil mumbo confusing jumbo I just buy in good faith 5 gallons of Amsoil universal ATF and swap out all the fluid in the pan and torque converter and forget about having to change it for at least 5 years LOL LOL

if you bring 5 gallons of Amsoil universal ATF to any GM dealer and ask them to install the fluid in your transmission still under warranty they will not turn you away, unless they give you a written document voiding your warranty. wich will never happen.
Quote:
That doesn't mean it won't work but you are putting your faith in the company selling the fluid versus the OEM of the transmission.
any product from Amsoil comes with warranty from Amsoil. nothing sold by the dealer has the same warranty

Been using the "Pennzoil Automatic Transmission Fluid" which says it meets the requirements for Dextron III/Mercon, in a 2001 Cavalier and 99 Trans Am with no problems. This is not the "Multi Vehicle fluid'. Both cars shift like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back