So Lame, Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fisher price gui.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I quite liked Windows 2000. Shortly after Windows 95 I converted to NT 3.5 then 4.0 and found it quite a bit more stable than Windows 95. The only problem was not all hardware had drivers written for NT. By Windows 2000 a lot of that was fixed for what I was running and it was great then they killed the beautifulness of Windows 2000 by ending its life.
frown.gif

No no, it got a new GUI and became Windows NT 5.1, aka XP
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
the fisher price gui.
I quite liked Windows 2000. Shortly after Windows 95 I converted to NT 3.5 then 4.0 and found it quite a bit more stable than Windows 95. The only problem was not all hardware had drivers written for NT. By Windows 2000 a lot of that was fixed for what I was running and it was great then they killed the beautifulness of Windows 2000 by ending its life.
frown.gif

No no, it got a new GUI and became Windows NT 5.1, aka XP
wink.gif

LOL, "Jellybean"
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I enjoyed seeing that BSOD on many different things like Airport Arrival/Departure screens etc.
grin2.gif

https://twitter.com/bsodspotter?lang=en

I've seen a couple ATMs with Linux kernel panics. Our local cable company used to have occasional Guru Meditation Errors on their community calendar channel at least ten years beyond the Amiga's best before date, but I haven't had cable with them for ages. I assume they've advanced a bit.
wink.gif

Have read through this thread three times, and feel like a kitten being taught Algebra...

Yes, I remember all the OS' since I got my Word Perfect 3.1 advanced certificate, their opening screens jingles, and blue screens.

I started on DOS, then Windows 3.1x then Unix, then Linux and BSD, then more into Windows (surprisingly), then back into Linux and OSX. However, I always have a few other boxes around for playing with a current flavour, which tends to bounce between one of the majors, be it FreeBSD, OpenBSD...etc or maybe a Linux variant like Slackware, Redhat, Gentoo, Debian....etc.

You ever play around with IRIX?

Never played with IRIX. Was a DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux, Mac guy. Dabbled a little with AIX and even OS/400 back in the early 2000's but that's about it. I've come to find that Windows 10 is actually decent as Apple seems to have stagnated and Linux, well, it's nowhere near ready as a desktop OS.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
OS/2 was great, but the Ruskin's Era Mac OS and BeOS were boasting truly intuitive and productive interface - never ending competition of form vs substance. MSFT didn't have either in the beginning, but now they finally are getting somewhere. As for Linux, it has its place, but it was born out failure of a hapless student and until huge Corporation didn't infuse serious money it stayed that way for too long - it's main advantage is the cost nowadays. Linux is embraced by Microsoft nowadays, the best contrarian sign of its true value. It is still behind...

I think you have the history of Linux way wrong. It was Linus's college project. I remember downloading it on FLOPPIES in the mid 90s. It's only gotten better over the years.

It powers most of the IoT devices and some of the world's most powerful servers. It is THE OS that runs the majority of the Internet. It's very stable (I've got database servers that have 365+ days of uptime) and will run and run and run given good hardware. Heck, there are countless stories of Linux servers with uptime measured in YEARS. Windows can't do that.

The only place Linux is behind is in the desktop as nobody has figured out how to get a good desktop there and get the app companies to write for it. The only company that has had success in consumerizing UNIX has been Apple as OSX has been built on top of BSD since 2001.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I started on DOS, then Windows 3.1x then Unix, then Linux and BSD, then more into Windows (surprisingly), then back into Linux and OSX. However, I always have a few other boxes around for playing with a current flavour, which tends to bounce between one of the majors, be it FreeBSD, OpenBSD...etc or maybe a Linux variant like Slackware, Redhat, Gentoo, Debian....etc.

You ever play around with IRIX?

Never played with IRIX. Was a DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux, Mac guy. Dabbled a little with AIX and even OS/400 back in the early 2000's but that's about it. I've come to find that Windows 10 is actually decent as Apple seems to have stagnated and Linux, well, it's nowhere near ready as a desktop OS.

this and it is not coincidental that I do the PARTITION MAGIC OS recovery and it feels just like new as a CD ROM based install of Windows 10. Good OS. even picked up the 1709 update! Nice OS M$.

I started on an IBM PC JR.

I remember playing that basic game where 2 gorillas threw bananas based on vector and power.

Mine was the "pimp my ride" version with dual 360k floppies and a 10MB hdd.

dos 2.0 or 2.1 IIRC.

The monitor hooked upto a coat hanger antenna would get channels 2-13.
and featured buttons for color, green and amber.

PS the game is playable here
https://classicreload.com/qbasic-gorillas.html

Moved onto https://classicreload.com/res/scorched-earth.html

I think you have the history of Linux way wrong. It was Linus's college project. I remember downloading it on FLOPPIES in the mid 90s. It's only gotten better over the years.

His project didn't work, so he asked folks online for help, otherwise he'd flank it. Linux was a re-packager, who wasn't skilled enough at that point.
Microsoft re-packaged UNIX legally about a decade ahead of Linux, just another re-packager too. It was called Xenix then.
(They bought a license for soft, but could not buy a license for the name)

OSes that run majority of Internet

it's not a function of OS only, it is the function of the admin's acumen

His project didn't work, so he asked folks online for help, otherwise he'd flank it. Linux was a re-packager, who wasn't skilled enough at that point.
Microsoft re-packaged UNIX legally about a decade ahead of Linux, just another re-packager too. It was called Xenix then.

Please show references to your claims that "his project didn't work" and that "Linux was a re-packager, who wasn't skilled enough at that point."

As a User of Minix and Linux at Uni in the mid to late 90's I remember the early versions of Linux working fine. The Linux kernel was written from scratch, all sources available and had rigorous examination over the years by many group, show that it was a clean implementation. Linus reused the Minix tool chain initially as Linux was Posix compatible (a vendor neutral Unix compatibility API). Later Linux adopted the GNU toolchain so that anyone could distribute, modify and compile Linux freely (Minix was only free for educational use at that time ).

Yes, they've butchered BSD a bit, however the GUI is definitely the nicest it has ever sported, LOL
wink.gif
Much of what goes on with OSX would make any experienced *NIX admin shudder. It's been like that since Darwin IMHO.

Linux is closer to the Unix spirit than OSX (which is officially Unix), so many tools missing, which is why Homebrew, Fink, Macports exist[ed] to fill the gaps Apple left. Doesn't takeaway from OSX being a nice desktop OS though.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Please show references to your claims that "his project didn't work" and that "Linux was a re-packager, who wasn't skilled enough at that point."

then, we may have been on the same funet server and you could find the post by searching for Linus Benedict Torvalds. You are playing a transitivity game: picking on a fragment to kill a messenger to discredit the whole message without even touching all the arguments. One more time: Linus used gcc on minix to break out from the minix limitations and called the whole thing OS (not kernel) and needed help as it wasn't portable at that moment. If you remember well, he had an argument and a bet with Tannenbaum. He ported Bash fine, which was easier and did write his kernel clean of minix, but he was stuck on messaging mechanism and drivers. What amazed me then that he did the hardest part of the kernel well, but couldn't get the easier parts to work together. And if you were living in Europe at that time, every radio-station was running his interviews where he said:'and unlike Mr Gates I will finish my degree'. I lived in Germany then and we were making fun of that quote on the board. A lot of great things came out of failures, e.g. Madeira wine...

Yes, they've butchered BSD a bit, however the GUI is definitely the nicest it has ever sported, LOL
wink.gif
Much of what goes on with OSX would make any experienced *NIX admin shudder. It's been like that since Darwin IMHO.

Linux is closer to the Unix spirit than OSX (which is officially Unix), so many tools missing, which is why Homebrew, Fink, Macports exist[ed] to fill the gaps Apple left. Doesn't takeaway from OSX being a nice desktop OS though.

thumbsup2.gif

then, we may have been on the same funet server and you could find the post by searching for Linus Benedict Torvalds. You are playing a transitivity game: picking on a fragment to kill a messenger to discredit the whole message without even touching all the arguments. One more time: Linus used gcc on minix to break out from the minix limitations and called the whole thing OS (not kernel) and needed help as it wasn't portable at that moment. If you remember well, he had an argument and a bet with Tannenbaum. He ported Bash fine, which was easier and did write his kernel clean of minix, but he was stuck on messaging mechanism and drivers. What amazed me then that he did the hardest part of the kernel well, but couldn't get the easier parts to work together. And if you were living in Europe at that time, every radio-station was running his interviews where he said:'and unlike Mr Gates I will finish my degree'. I lived in Germany then and we were making fun of that quote on the board. A lot of great things came out of failures, e.g. Madeira wine...

A long time ago, but yes I did read back through his comp.os.minix posts (I used Linux from 95 onwards (Slackware)), what you say seems right, though I can't remember the messaging and driver bit.
I think Linus said he needed needed help porting as currently only worked on his i386 with an AT hdd and had no access to any other hardware.
I would not go as far to say it didn't work was just repackaging, but we are remembering most of the same things
laugh.gif

BTW I visited CeBit in 93, travelled up from a friends in Heidelberg by car.

I'm quite aware of the history of Linux. Came up in the field in the early to mid 90's. Barely remember Xenix - MS seemed to have their hands in a lot of projects back then. Remember the first versions of Linux on floppies. It was not feature complete but a great start.

And Linux does run the majority of the Internet. The link you sent was web servers, which of active sites, nginix and Apache rule the roost. Most likely on Linux or a UNIX variant.

At the end of the day MS won the Desktop, Linux won the servers. Mac puts up a very strong showing though and is a great OS.

Last edited:
I don't consider ~6% of the desktop and 0% of the server market share to be a very strong showing.

Which is a shame, it's a solid OS, but backed by a company that charges way too much for generations old hardware. And a company that appears to be moving further and further away from anything that's not running iOS.

Which I suppose makes sense, go where the money is.

That's how they worked for a long time. When they were barely alive below 2% of the market - and that was only thanks to Japanese who truly appreciated aesthetics above and beyond - that was enough for Jobs to have his private jet. Few remember now that Apple was saved financially by MSFT.

Aside: I wonder if systemd will damage Linux as ATT damaged BSD. RHAT support is inundated by early adopters of 7 and the migration of real production servers from 6 to 7 is a logistical nightmare.

I do like the decent command line of a Mac for cloud applications.

I have not touched Linux or windows OS since the cloud services replaces excuses of not getting this done, needing more hardware or time on an admin to deploy something. It generally just works.

Few remember now that Apple was saved financially by MSFT.

Ahh that old B.S. that refuses to die... http://www.zdnet.com/article/stop-the-lies-the-day-that-microsoft-saved-apple/

Quote:
Aside: I wonder if systemd will damage Linux as ATT damaged BSD. RHAT support is inundated by early adopters of 7 and the migration of real production servers from 6 to 7 is a logistical nightmare.

As someone who has gone through the pain of a RHEL 6 to 7 migration it's not bad if you're pretty much stock as systemd has a decent compatibility layer. It's troubleshooting when things go wrong that sucks. As well as trying to remember 2 separate command structures in a mixed environment. At least prior to 7 it was roughly the same 4-5-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back