So Lame, Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked W2K, it was NT post SP4 with a more or less humane interface. Of course, in search for revenue Mr Ballmer squeezed everybody out of it into the monstrous XP, which was dysfunctional until SP3 arrived. But the lack of mutli-core support on the older OS would do you in sooner or later

Originally Posted By: Y_K
It's not only that it was blank, it's the fact that you were able to enable the account after so many attempts. So, on a syscal level they simply ignored the obvious. On top of that, a user had to belong to wheel group in good, old BSD - this tells me they cut corners big time, what they call OS is not even a hybrid any more, it's a crowd of castrati.

Yes, they've butchered BSD a bit, however the GUI is definitely the nicest it has ever sported, LOL
wink.gif
Much of what goes on with OSX would make any experienced *NIX admin shudder. It's been like that since Darwin IMHO.

I cut my teeth on DEC Alpha Unix in the early 90's at the local University. I was around 13/14. Loved those big greyscale monitors, primitive visual Internet with NCSA Mosaic....etc. I do understand your frustration even though admin stuff isn't a big part of my career at this point, with the exception of a few RHEL boxes dedicated to medical imaging.

I really liked W2K, it was NT post SP4 with a more or less humane interface. Of course, in search for revenue Mr Ballmer squeezed everybody out of it into the monstrous XP, which was dysfunctional until SP3 arrived. But the lack of mutli-core support on the older OS would do you in sooner or later

So did I, I thought they did a fantastic job with it. I was also on the beta team for NT5 (which eventually became 2K) and still have a pile of the pre-gold builds kicking around.

Do you remember BeOS?

I've had my fair share of OSX "blue screen", they do look a lot prettier and makes people calmer though. XP was relatively ok, ME was bloated and 95a was pretty bad though.

Jobs vision was there, the problem is the company got so bloated doing watch development and end up being too early for the design, battery life couldn't catch up. Other companies will not design components that Apple ask for only to be used by one company and be paid on the only customer's term. If they focus the effort on AI and VR instead the result might be different.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Do you remember BeOS?

Yup. Jean Louis Gassee lost to the junky 'visionary' who really blew NeXT before that.

That thing would allow me play Real player stream, burn a CD and compile a code at the same time without a hiccup.
It had soul.

But hey, this great nation was in need for iPods at the time. Handhelds won. Visual and tactile-kinestetic in one was truly a winner. Better theatre.

Do you remember BeOS?

Yup. Jean Louis Gassee lost to the junky 'visionary' who really blew NeXT before that.

That thing would allow me play Real player stream, burn a CD and compile a code at the same time without a hiccup.
It had soul.

But hey, this great nation was in need for iPods at the time. Handhelds won. Visual and tactile-kinestetic in one was truly a winner. Better theatre.

I ran it on a Toshiba 330CDT notebook with 64MB RAM and a 266MMX CPU (not Pentium II). I could not believe how well it multi-tasked and how responsive it was.

Your bosses don't trust CentOS?

I'm technically the boss on that, LOL. RHEL is the official supported OS by the PACS vendor, which is why we are using it.

Do you remember BeOS?

It had soul.

I ran it on a Toshiba 330CDT notebook with 64MB RAM and a 266MMX CPU (not Pentium II). I could not believe how well it multi-tasked and how responsive it was.

You should have seen OS/2 1.3 and 2.0 on a 386DX and SX. It multitasked in ways Windows could only dream of, even running Windows apps at the same time as OS/2 apps. It was a dream of an OS only hampered by IBM's in marketing stupidity.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Do you remember BeOS?

It had soul.

You should have seen OS/2 1.3 and 2.0 on a 386DX and SX. It multitasked in ways Windows could only dream of, even running Windows apps at the same time as OS/2 apps. It was a dream of an OS only hampered by IBM's in marketing stupidity.

Unfortunately the only OS/2 product I have experience with is "Warp"
frown.gif
. During those days I was more intrigued by Unix variants.

frown.gif

Warp was great as well but to little way too late. Nothing wrong with Unix/Linux - I graduated from Windows to Linux many years ago.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: itguy08

frown.gif

Warp was great as well but to little way too late. Nothing wrong with Unix/Linux - I graduated from Windows to Linux many years ago.
smile.gif

I started on DOS, then Windows 3.1x then Unix, then Linux and BSD, then more into Windows (surprisingly), then back into Linux and OSX. However, I always have a few other boxes around for playing with a current flavour, which tends to bounce between one of the majors, be it FreeBSD, OpenBSD...etc or maybe a Linux variant like Slackware, Redhat, Gentoo, Debian....etc.

You ever play around with IRIX?

I know you weren't asking me but that was Silicon Graphics stuff, right? We used their equipment in a company I worked for in the late 80s to model automobile interiors. I didn't do that myself but I did occasionally use one of the computers for the flight simulator that was also installed.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I know you weren't asking me but that was Silicon Graphics stuff, right? We used their equipment in a company I worked for in the late 80s to model automobile interiors. I didn't do that myself but I did occasionally use one of the computers for the flight simulator that was also installed.

Yessir, SGI. We had two of their boxes in one of my classes and I used to spend my breaks on them, it was a really neat OS, I was quite fond of it.

I quite liked Windows 2000. Shortly after Windows 95 I converted to NT 3.5 then 4.0 and found it quite a bit more stable than Windows 95. The only problem was not all hardware had drivers written for NT. By Windows 2000 a lot of that was fixed for what I was running and it was great then they killed the beautifulness of Windows 2000 by ending its life.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I quite liked Windows 2000. Shortly after Windows 95 I converted to NT 3.5 then 4.0 and found it quite a bit more stable than Windows 95. The only problem was not all hardware had drivers written for NT. By Windows 2000 a lot of that was fixed for what I was running and it was great then they killed the beautifulness of Windows 2000 by ending its life.
frown.gif

No no, it got a new GUI and became Windows NT 5.1, aka XP
wink.gif

OS/2 was great, but the Ruskin's Era Mac OS and BeOS were boasting truly intuitive and productive interface - never ending competition of form vs substance. MSFT didn't have either in the beginning, but now they finally are getting somewhere. As for Linux, it has its place, but it was born out failure of a hapless student and until huge Corporation didn't infuse serious money it stayed that way for too long - it's main advantage is the cost nowadays. Linux is embraced by Microsoft nowadays, the best contrarian sign of its true value. It is still behind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back