So I received my replacement bearing from RockAuto

As some of you may know, I ordered 2 wheel bearings from RA a couple of weeks ago and one of the bearings was used and had “wrong bearing” written on the box in sharpie. No biggie, I simply returned it. Well a little after waiting a week, I received my replacement bearing.

*As a quick note for readers, please consider that the warehouse suppliers for RA ship parts on the daily, they know what time of the year it is, AND they hopefully have half of a brain to gauge the distance a part has to travel combined with the weight of it..

1st pic is of the first order with the used bearing. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is how the replacement part arrived today. At this point it is both comical and concerning:

Attachments

• IMG_5128.jpeg
    IMG_5128.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_5258.jpeg
    IMG_5258.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_5260.jpeg
    IMG_5260.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
If the bearing didn't have any dings on it I'd put it in without a thought. Me thinks you need to go to your local auto parts store where you can inspect it before you buy it for your own piece of mind.

I have been buying from RA for YEARS and have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with them. This has gotten really annoying, so you’re absolutely correct.

Sometimes I spend over $500 a month on RA and 98% of the time the parts arrive in complete boxes. The other 2% I live with if the contents are not damaged.
Would you put this part, that God knows how it got thrown around traveling from NY to California, on a vehicle that your wife and children will ride in?
Yes. If a wheel bearing can't handle some bouncing around in a padded envelope, it's probably junk to begin with.

Agree, the bearing is probably fine.

Sometimes I spend over $500 a month on RA and 98% of the time the parts arrive in complete boxes. The other 2% I live with if the contents are not damaged.

Yes. If a wheel bearing can't handle some bouncing around in a padded envelope, it's probably junk to begin with.

We are two different people. I sell old school billet wheels monthly and ship them everywhere. I spend a lot on packing materials because that’s just what I do and those are my standards. I’m just a guy, not a huge business like RA. If I can do it and they can’t, then there’s really no excuse.

Plus, the bearing when installed isn’t taking the type of impact like the one it’s faced with during shipping. You can easily pry off the lip cap off of the bearing with a flat screwdriver. This won’t be the type of impact it takes when installed.

Lastly, it’s not like changing out a wheel bearing where it’s simply bolted on. You have to remove the knuckle and get a press to R&R this part. It’s a hassle..

Last edited:
Zero care for the consumer..
I'm not surprised at all you got a hilariously banged up part. And no I don't like my parts that look like they've been driven over with a forklift.. guess I have higher standards with respect to have a part being beat on before installing it.

it's simple.. Rockauto does not hire competent warehouses to ship parts because neither RA or the warehouses care as long as they get paid $$$. Simple phrase.. Greed sells..

People will say I love to bash on RA, but I bought from them for years, until the care on their part disappeared (they blamed me that the warehouse destroyed the parts they sent me, hilarious!) The warehouses they use are a joke, it's obvious they're rejected/seconds/blemished that they're selling. People will also come on here to defend RA, either they should play the lottery (because they never received bad parts) or they're employed as online reps for RA to promote them. I'm not alone in getting junk from RA. I've moved on to other retailers.. heck even Amazon is getting better in protecting shipments! that says a lot!

I'm not surprised at all you got a hilariously banged up part. And no I don't like my parts that look like they've been driven over with a forklift.. guess I have higher standards with respect to have a part being beat on before installing it.

it's simple.. Rockauto does not hire competent warehouses to ship parts because neither RA or the warehouses care as long as they get paid $$$. Simple phrase.. Greed sells..

People will say I love to bash on RA, but I bought from them for years, until the care on their part disappeared (they blamed me that the warehouse destroyed the parts they sent me, hilarious!) The warehouses they use are a joke, it's obvious they're rejected/seconds/blemished that they're selling. People will also come on here to defend RA, either they should play the lottery (because they never received bad parts) or they're employed as online reps for RA to promote them. I'm not alone in getting junk from RA. I've moved on to other retailers.. heck even Amazon is getting better in protecting shipments! that says a lot!

1000% agree with you! Greed sells and greed kills. RA will be responsible for their own demise..

@Twisted1 Warning: PUBLIC ANNOUCEMENT AHEAD...
I'm going to give you a hint.. (/sarcasm as Capt Obvious).. don't buy from RA anymore.. :geek::LOL:

ya we should mark this date on a calendar as the day we knew RA was going to go away.. sort of a RA Deathwatch. I really don't understand HOW they stay in business with the way they (RA) is treating customers.. just amazing.

I imagine it's difficult to hire good help for a warehouse picker, esp at what they're likely willing to pay. I have no first-hand knowledge of what they actually pay, but I'd guess it's comparable to a starting wage for fast food etc.

The people who are remotely competent likely move up or move on almost immediately.

I imagine it's difficult to hire good help for a warehouse picker, esp at what they're likely willing to pay. I have no first-hand knowledge of what they actually pay, but I'd guess it's comparable to a starting wage for fast food etc.

The people who are remotely competent likely move up or move on almost immediately.
That could very well be the issue.. but it's amazing how everyone they hire has the same exact incompetence. That's really an accomplishment to go that low in warehouse service! I'm almost wondering if the parts they're selling are already rejects from some other place. How can ALL the parts all be messed up in similar ways? hmm...

That could very well be the issue.. but it's amazing how everyone they hire has the same exact incompetence. That's really an accomplishment to go that low in warehouse service! I'm almost wondering if the parts they're selling are already rejects from some other place. How can ALL the parts all be messed up in similar ways? hmm...

I agree. Usually management is to blame. When I managed a group of individuals a decade ago when I was still in the corporate world, I ran a tight ship and our failure rate was near non-existent. Sometimes lighting a little fire under your employees’s asses can be beneficial for everyone..

I rarely get a bag from Rockauto. Its always been in a box. Ask for a box next time.

1703019844126.jpg

Back