so I Googled what is the universe expanding into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Big bang is really a joke, but mostly accepted by the scientific community, that alone should tell you what they really know.

True. It is a theory that fits the limited knowledge they have. Ideas of how the universe functions have changed as more information has been uncovered. That's how good science works.
There is a theory the Earth is a spheroid. Research seems to lend credence to this theory. others argue that it is flat. Shows what science knows...

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
True. It is a theory that fits the limited knowledge they have. Ideas of how the universe functions have changed as more information has been uncovered. That's how good science works.
There is a theory the Earth is a spheroid. Research seems to lend credence to this theory. others argue that it is flat. Shows what science knows...

You mean pictures like this?

The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

Big bang is really a joke, but mostly accepted by the scientific community, that alone should tell you what they really know.

Just out of curiosity to you say that? If it has to do with the R word don't respond please.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why is it a joke? Everything in the observable universe points to an origin for the expansion, and a point in time when it occurred. In fact, there is nothing that indicates otherwise.

Note that I didn't indicate what initiated the expansion since that is another subject altogether.

Right, what's interesting is when people ask what happened before the expansion. Because time didn't exist before that, you can't really say. I really have to question the credentials of anyone who says that big bang is a joke. Science is about the preponderance of evidence. Lots of evidence from various observations to indicate it's accurate. It's all about showing your proof.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from? Where exactly is space located? What exactly is space and how did all that form?

To really under a lot of this stuff you really have to have a mathematical understanding of Quantum Mechanica (which I don't) but even those that do don't understad the physical reality of what they know (Basically: "Shut up and calculate")

"A Universe from Nothing"- Krauss
"Nothing"- Close
"Bang" - Brian May
"Universe"- Brockman
13.8 Gribbin

Cosmology is a fascinating subject as is Quantum Physics. I have read probably over 100 of these books in the last 20 years. I can't do the math so I am somewhat limited. I have no inclination to learn the math....just not worth it for me.

I've listened to some podcasts (you know, where the REAL truth is discovered
crackmeup2.gif
) with Lawrence Krauss, talking about a multiverse. Like "our" universe could in fact be like the the little ball on the cat collar in the movie Men in Black. That is mind blowing.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from?

It more or less percolated out of the initial event. There's been a lot of work done on this in recent decades.

Where exactly is space located?

Depends what you mean by "where", "space", and "located".
wink.gif

Maybe existence is the default. Alan Guth says the universe (matter/energy) has existed forever. It didn't have to come from something, it's just there.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Maybe existence is the default. Alan Guth says the universe (matter/energy) has existed forever. It didn't have to come from something, it's just there.

That however, contradicts the evidence in the observable universe which indicates that whatever "it" was, it came from outside, at a specific point in time, and at a specific place. It was not already here since space itself is expanding, the universe is not expanding "into" anything.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from?

It more or less percolated out of the initial event. There's been a lot of work done on this in recent decades.

Where exactly is space located?

Depends what you mean by "where", "space", and "located".
wink.gif

I think it's better defined as "space" existed forever; the universe as we know it started and expanded inside space.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I think it's better defined as "space" existed forever; the universe as we know it started and expanded inside space.

Like I noted above, if that is true then it contradicts every observation which indicates that space itself is expanding along with the observable universe.

Just to add to the mix already presented there is also a universe origin theory based on quantum theory and universe sentience. This postulates that the big bang initiated only when the universe itself became sentient and therefore became an "observer" allowing a gigantic chain of quantum probabilities in the "singularity" to resolve into discrete events and produce our known universe. This theory requires the possibility that the universe itself has some level of sentience. This sentience would be very unlike and not compatible to our human sentience since ours evolved to fit our species and environment, but still existing at some level of awareness. Obviously a stretch but this could be something remotely akin to the "Force" as popularized in Star War films.

Sounds weird or implausible? Might be except that the theory resolves several significant unexplained issues involving quantum theory and big bang cosmology. It is certainly far less weird than the current fundamental unknowns in quantum theory.

Last edited:
Best explaination for the big bang that I've heard.

"Give us one miracle, and we can explain it from there"...

as to flat earth and science...sheesh.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Best explaination for the big bang that I've heard.

"Give us one miracle, and we can explain it from there"...

as to flat earth and science...sheesh.
Isn't that the "morphic fields" guy?

Sheldrake's ideas are the Western regurgitation of some yogic ideas about cosmic memory. For example, we are the biologic memory of our ancestors. We may not know who our ancestor was 1000 generations ago but we are their memory preserved in our genes. And things like that.

My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from? Where exactly is space located? What exactly is space and how did all that form?

Nobody knows for sure. Google "zero-energy universe". The theory is that the entire energy of the universe contained in all matter is cancelled out by the negative energy of gravity caused by that energy. Remember, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. The theory ties into the zero-energy universe.

Therefore, theoretically, the universe has zero energy. So why is there "something" instead of "nothing" in the universe? This is where scientists really throw their arms in the air. However, most scientists believe it requires a better understanding of quantum mechanics. Some believe that in quantum mechanics, "nothing" is inherently unstable, and if not forbidden by the laws of quantum mechanics it is guaranteed to happen and therefore "something" in inevitable. Does "nothing" even exist or is it a made up word humans created? Perhaps in science "nothing" is impossible or does not exist fundamentally.

I believe we are ants on an anthill looking to the sky and trying to make sense of it all. Except, unbeknownst to us we are next to a superhighway, skyscrapers and things we cannot comprehend. We are so ignorant of how the universe works, it's laws and are trying to make sense of it all with our feeble brains. I do not believe we will EVER know. I truly believe it is too far beyond our comprehension, and we were not made to understand it. Is it ever possible for the clay to understand the potter?

The most fascinating/freaky scientific experiment involving quantum mechanics is the double-slit experiment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

This experiment has proven that matter changes state and reacts differently based on how someone is observing or measuring matter. To me it seems possible that our physical world that we observe is an elaborate illusion and/or that the universe requires observation to exist. Perhaps life drives the universe and creates the universe and not the other way around. One of the most thought provoking of all theories to me based on this is the biocentric universe. I personally believe biocentrism makes much more sense on a fundamental level of understanding the universe around us. To me, biocentrism is a very promising theory because to me it ties together both religion and science. Deep down in my soul I believe the most important aspect of the universe is life, not matter. To me this is why the universe is so "fine tuned." It's because life is the ultimate purposes behind everything. Everything else is just the details.

Originally Posted By: Al

Just out of curiosity to you say that? If it has to do with the R word don't respond please.

Well for starters, how do we know galaxies are moving away from each other when it's our perspective that could be changing. Perhaps our spin around the milky way is bringing us away from other galaxies? What's there reference point?

Originally Posted By: Al

Well for starters, how do we know galaxies are moving away from each other when it's our perspective that could be changing. Perhaps our spin around the milky way is bringing us away from other galaxies? What's there reference point?

The light from almost every body in space that we can observe is red-shifted. That happens when you're looking at something you're moving away from/that is moving away from you (same thing in space).

For the most part, the farther away something is, the more red-shifted its light is -- i.e., the faster it's moving away.

The pattern is consistent with the idea that space is expanding uniformly in all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back